Thread: New to forum...Introduction

Default New to forum...Introduction

Mornin'

Hot Shot driver now driving a 2007 GMC 6.6 diesel crewcab Topkick (trade Flat bed Chev 3500 gas/auto...264K miles).

Topkick is way different from old truck, rides like a buckboard bobtail, steering is a little too sensitive and ...loose. Monroe bed is a short 8'7 (9')

Question:
    I would like to install a fuel shut off valve (manual or electronic) somewhere that i can close off the fuel as an anti-theft device. Would like it accessible from the outside or conealed switch in the cab. Any suggestions?
    Tatuzinho
    Last edited by TATUZINHO; 12-25-2008 at 06:48.

Hello and welcome aboard! Is it a TopKick, or a Kodiak? C4500 or C5500? (If you fill out your signature with more truck details, it will help the rest of us to answer questions...)

I pilot a 2004 C4500 and yes, the unloaded ride is nothing to write home about. However, it carries the freight and braking is wonderful with some big boats and loads of steel in tow! What types of trailers and loads do you tow?

There is a fuse in the the circuit for the ECM. Pulling that fuse cripples the truck from starting. My thought would be to tap into that circuit, and cut power to the ECM, rather than fuel from the system. Easier, less likely to have downstream effects. Better yet - how about a professional alarm system, with a similar feature? I have one with a key FOB that beeps if the truck's alarm system is engaged. Nice for when you have expensive cargo outside your hotel room, and you want to sleep easy. I try to keep the truck and boats within range of the front door...(electronic range, and Smith/Wesson range)

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 12-26-2008 at 09:16.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Mark,
    Thanks for the reply. I looked into an anti-theft system put out by "RAVELCO" ...$260+ mechanic install. Seems to be a no nonsense product, a bit on the high side and the install allows the installer to set it up as he desires following set criteria... now if i have a failure due to it's instalation the next guy may not be able to figure it out.
    So far no trailer loads, carried 4500lbs to Oklahoma and the ride was night and day different from buckboard to Bently. Now looking to replace headlight system, stock is inadequate.
    Tatuzinho

Agreed - factory OEM sealed beam headlights were not bright enough, I have replaced with a better quality Halogens, made a huge difference. Still not enough on low beams, especially with even the slightest amount of road salt or haze from road crud. Most of our driving is during daylight hours due to overwide loads, so its not as much of a problem.

What are you considering? A set of bumper mounted driving lights would be cool...and effective if aimed properly.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Default Sealed Beams C4500

Trying to find specific parts ore OEM # for Kodiak/Topkick on the internet is asking for any other chev/gmc part and a trip to the medium truck dealers page. This forum is the only way other than crawling into the trucks guts to find a part No.... David Stern gives good advice and recommendtions with a chance to ask specific questions, but i prefer to have all the basic info in hand before i bother someone for their time. Looking at Hella rectangular Highbeam and Hella Low beam w/ parking both Halogen.....guess I will have to aim them myself, provided they will fit in stock cradles.
    Regards
    Tatuzinho

Red face Halogen sealed beams

Mark,
    Would sure appreaciate the proper number of those replacement headlights on your 4500, GMC will only give GM part numbers:

High beam: LH..05973931
    Rh.. 05973932

Low Beam: LH..15194306
    RH..15194307

I am just too damn lazy to pull a headlight and take it to O'riley

H6545, H6451, H6054 ???????
    Sorry for my SLOTH
    Tatuzinho