Thread: Goofy display

Default Goofy display

My 2003 2500 hd has a display problem where it shows the odometer mileage. all of the sudden it will change to another language, like when you go to start the engine the display will all ways show driver 1, well now it shows conductor 1 or some other language. everything changes to a different language or it will show each language available. I have tried to follow the manual but it will not reset to English once in a while it will but again it changes to what ever. does anyone have an idea? thank you
    ORDERED 1-15-03 ARRIVED 2-10-03= 03/2500HD/D/A/EXT.CAB LT/ LONG BOX/4X4/CARBON METALLIC/ONSTAR/ TTT CAMPER MIRRORS/WESTIN BOARDS WITH LITES/HUSKY FLOOR LINERS/PRO FIT FLAPS/ACCESS TONNO/LINEX BED RAILS/ FUMOTO OIL DRAIN VALVE,
    BEDRUG/BILSTEIN SHOCKS/ ISSPRO EGT GAUGE/RED LINE LUBE, BANKS EXHAUST BRAKE. GALAXY 929 CB/ WILSON 1000.KENNEDY LIFT PUMP.

I've seen several threads here about dash repair. I'm guessing you might have to yank it and inspect for bad solder joints/connections. Concentrate on grounds. Might want to look up these repair places and ask some questions also.
    (I'm also guessing someone else here will have better ideas! The Diesel Page, what a great place!)
    d
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Removing the instrument cluster is ridiculously easy and Ebay has several places that you can mail it to for inexpensive repair.

Arrow

Check the battery health and connections. If this is incidental to an engine start, after key on and glow cycle, low voltage can, and often does, cause issues with stored electronic data, including stored personal settings. Also check for DTC's, as the condition can also throw erroneous codes, often without the SES lamp or DIC message.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

The Transmission Display on my 03 2500HD instrument cluster recently has been too dim to see in daylight and the fuel gauge needle is occasionally slow to move after a full up so I was researching a fix via google and found several sites that offer a complete rebuild of the the cluster for a reasonable price. The quote from the following site seems to describe the problem you are experiencing.

"MPORTANT: If your display reads "odometer error" or is scrolling through the languages, please call before sending in for repair. These issues are repairable but are not part of our standard rebuild. '"

https://circuitboardmedics.com/2003-...luster-repair/

I'm planning to send mine in to them for a rebuild and LED back-light upgrade.
    Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Default Repair

Quote Originally Posted by jbplock View Post
    The Transmission Display on my 03 2500HD instrument cluster recently has been too dim to see in daylight and the fuel gauge needle is occasionally slow to move after a full up so I was researching a fix via google and found several sites that offer a complete rebuild of the the cluster for a reasonable price. The quote from the following site seems to describe the problem you are experiencing.

"MPORTANT: If your display reads "odometer error" or is scrolling through the languages, please call before sending in for repair. These issues are repairable but are not part of our standard rebuild. '"

https://circuitboardmedics.com/2003-...luster-repair/

I'm planning to send mine in to them for a rebuild and LED back-light upgrade.
    Sent mine to, the gauge pro. on eBay Scrolling language, As they call it is a included in the rebuild.
    ORDERED 1-15-03 ARRIVED 2-10-03= 03/2500HD/D/A/EXT.CAB LT/ LONG BOX/4X4/CARBON METALLIC/ONSTAR/ TTT CAMPER MIRRORS/WESTIN BOARDS WITH LITES/HUSKY FLOOR LINERS/PRO FIT FLAPS/ACCESS TONNO/LINEX BED RAILS/ FUMOTO OIL DRAIN VALVE,
    BEDRUG/BILSTEIN SHOCKS/ ISSPRO EGT GAUGE/RED LINE LUBE, BANKS EXHAUST BRAKE. GALAXY 929 CB/ WILSON 1000.KENNEDY LIFT PUMP.

Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL/VETTE View Post
    Sent mine to, the gauge pro. on eBay Scrolling language, As they call it is a included in the rebuild.

Thanks for the reference to Gauge Pro on eBay .. I found the eBay listing and it looks very good.. Also found their website - https://thegaugepro.com/. Let us know how you make out with the repair. I'm thinking I'll use them as well.

Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Never had to do this, but the long running name in the biz I believe is Florida speedometer.

I have ZERO experience with them, but know that guys with the early clusters that gave grief were sending there and getting fixed.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    Never had to do this, but the long running name in the biz I believe is Florida speedometer.

I have ZERO experience with them, but know that guys with the early clusters that gave grief were sending there and getting fixed.

Thanks John .. I'll check them out too ..
    Bill
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Default Goofy display

Sent my display to THE GAUGE PRO, Tuesday oct. 9th and got it back Monday oct. 15th., every thing works excellent, Can't say enough about the service. Great job, while they had it I had them upgrade to the blue LED display lights. Both ways USPS.

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.
    We all have a better/updated idea about what to do about our instrument panels now!
    The Diesel Page is a great place isn't it?!

Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Default Goofy display

One thing i forgot to mention, the truck is drivable while the display is out for repair, just make sure you have plenty of fuel on board, don't speed.

Arrow

One thing i forgot to mention, the truck is drivable while the display is out for repair, just make sure you have plenty of fuel on board, don't speed.
    Good advice. If you have an OBD adapter (ELM327, etc.) and a mobile app (Torque), you can monitor all that stuff that went missing while the IPC is tango uniform or out for repair.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Sent my display to THE GAUGE PRO, Tuesday oct. 9th and got it back Monday oct. 15th., every thing works excellent, Can't say enough about the service. Great job, while they had it I had them upgrade to the blue LED display lights. Both ways USPS.

Diesel/Vette,

I had the same positive experience with The Gauge Pro - thanks again for the reference. They received my Instrument Cluster Last Friday, completed the repair/upgrade, shipped it back the next day, and I had it back installed in my truck on Monday. I also had them do the LED upgrade. I second your comments about the great job they did. I would highly recommend The Gauge Pro to anyone who needs their Instrument cluster repaired. For those of us with 03-06 Trucks it might be a good preventative maintenance action and the LED back light upgrade is also a nice feature.

Here's a snip from the Gauge Pro Website that describes their service.

"HERE'S WHAT YOU GET:
    Replace all stepper motors in the gauge cluster with high quality JUKEN X27.168 (NOT CHINESE JUNK)...your gauges will work again! (6 or 7 stepper motors, same price!)
    Replace all backlighting. (Please choose from our Lighting Options list)
    Repair of the PRND321 and odometer display if it is dim or dark.
    Repair of dead or intermittent power to cluster in MOST cases...occasionally this condition requires replacement of the cluster, but usually it can be fixed.
    Free return shipping of your cluster to you is also included!
    Mileage is not affected! If your cluster has the "Odometer Error" message, please contact us before purchase.
    Same or next day turn around in most cases...YOU WILL GET YOUR PART BACK FAST!!

Bill
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Ok, I have the exact same problem with my 03 GMC 2500hd.
    The driver information and odometer all change language on me, from French to English to Spanish, over and over. It will then stop scrolling and be normal, except being in a different language. Sometimes I can change it back to English on my steering wheel buttons, not always.
    This has been going on for about 6 or 7 years now. The dealer said I had a bad clock spring as the horn also did not work, so I had my usual diesel shop replace the clock spring for $400, it made no difference at all.
    I went back to my dealer with the results and they said then I needed to replace my cluster for $1000...!
    I drove the truck for several years putting up with the oddball info center, then decided to check with a truck recycling shop, they had a cluster from a same year duramax for $150, so I jumped on it.
    It took me 15 minutes to swop out the cluster and presto, everything was good. Great, first time in years.
    That lasted 2 weeks until I started it one morning and there it went again, changing language non stop...!
    I am getting very frustrated with this, it's the only problem with the truck, which with 230000 miles on it runs like a champ.
    My diesel shop are also frustrated, now they are saying that maybe it's the Body Control Module.
    Anyone have any ideas on that? And can you even change that out?

Quote Originally Posted by Britracer View Post
    Ok, I have the exact same problem with my 03 GMC 2500hd.
    My diesel shop are also frustrated, now they are saying that maybe it's the Body Control Module.
    Anyone have any ideas on that? And can you even change that out?
    I would suggest you contact The Gauge Pro (CALL/TEXT 865 328 0080). Describe your problem and ask for his advice on how to proceed.
    Bill
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD