Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Detroit Diesel

Hello all, I'm new to this forum as well; I've been reading up on everyones ideas, and progress, upsides and downsides of the detroit engines. I'm currently looking for a 4-53T myself and I want to drop it in a 1968 IH 2WD 1200 pickup truck. I noticed someone called Journey Man had done this with a Travelall and was wondering what kind of set-up he had in it. I used to drive a Mack truck with an oldtime 2 stick 18 speed, drove that truck for a few yrs. Retired now, and want to do something different. I've gotten to missing changing all those gears, so here's what Lord Willing; I'd like to end up with: That truck, the Detroit 4-53T, and a 3 speed aux. Yes I know detroits reputation, they like it best wide open or close to it anyways. I belive I've found the place with the people who can help me with my endevor. I'd like to keep the trans. and rear end because it has a detroit locker rear end in it now. I know there's got to be a way to get a good gear ratio between the 2 trans. to end up with about 75 MPH top out speed comfortably. I don't hear to good anyhow, so I'm not worried about the noise; I like the sound of those old engines! I've not found an engine yet, but Lord Willing; I will. Please ALL advise would be deeply appreciated...Thanks.

Default DD 8v92TA

Hi, I'm new and my name is nick. I eventually dream of putting a 500hp DD 8v92TA in an f450 or 500. Am I outta my mind or is it possible? How would I trick the truck computer into not freaking out with an older enigne? Would I have to extend the frame and engine compartment?

Arrow

I'd begin by finding the length, width, height and weight for the DD. Then compare that to the engine compartment dimensions available in the truck. Somewhere on the net you could likely discover the front axle weight rating for the truck. This'll give you an idea about whther the weight might be an issue or if it'll work fine.

Welcome to the board!

Jim

Length: 48", width: 39", height: 52". Weight: 2500lbs. I've tried to find the axle ratings and engine compartment sizes, but no luck.

May also be looking for a running, doesn't have to be pretty, 2 or 3-71 detroit. How much do they usually run?

I know that I am resurrecting an old thread but I have a couple things to input ... the DD engines can be picked up fairly reasonably any where that there is very much oil feild or mining in the erea ... lots of old pumps and blowers were ran on these engines ....

If someone wants a couple 4-53 engines I have two of them in my boat ... I would like to replace them with either 6BT's or 4BT's ... I just lneed to find the front and rear acceries for the one that runs in reverse ... and the 4-53 is not capable of 170 HP on its own w/o going to a twin turbo setup ... and you would have a hard time cooling it at that HP ... the ones in my boat have 92 series infectors in them and the big turbos ... and then an even larger turbo that runs both engines and are putting out 175 each ... but not capable of that running independently ... and they have unlimited cooling capacity with oversized oil coolers and cooled by the ocean water ... through brass heat exchangers ...

My boat is a 31' mahogany boat thats 11.5' wide ... and weighs a whopping 27Klbs ... Its a major load on my chevy ..

Quote Originally Posted by 59chevynapco View Post
    hi everyone! this is my first time on this so i dont really no how it works. i joined because i wanted to find out more info on detroit swaps into trucks. i have a 59 chevy one ton with the original napco 4x4 and i wanted to do a 4-53t swap. i was wondering where i could find a bell housing to fit a clark 5 speed? and also i need to find out where i can get a flywheel and a clutch? i wanted to locate all this kinda stuff before i started the project.
    Hi. Have you found an engine yet? Have you made any progress on your "project"? I did a 4-53 swap in a 64 Chevy 4X4 suburban. I used the original SM-420 trans and transfer case. I got a bellhousing and flywheel from GM but that was long ago. I think those parts are obsolete now. Does the Clarke trans take a SAE round bellhousing? I am not sure. It should be easy to hook it up anyway. Let me know if you need some help...

Default 1965 4-53 Swap

Hey Liftgate, I would love to know the part numbers and where you got everything to do the swap into your 1964 suburban. I have a 1965 Chevy Half ton 4x4 with a 4 speed that I want to do the exact same thing to. Either post on here or email me @ mitchchase350@yahoo.com if you have time. Thank you!

Hello diesellover94. Sounds like you have the same rig I started with. That should be easy work. Is your rig a P/U or suburban/carryall? Either way, the running gear, if it is stock, is easy to work with. It was for me. My running gear was stock. I added 2 leaves to each side of the leaf springs on the front. I changed the rear axle ratio to 3:07. I didn't use an auxillary trans but that would help a lot. The set up needed more gears. The shift between 2nd and 3rd was real steep. Do you have power steering? I didn't and it is hard steering at slow speeds. Engine is real heavy. I'll dig for those part numbersand get back with you. Send a pic if you can.

Default Detroit V653 alumuim block facts

Detroit V653 alumuim block engine only 1200 lbs instead of 1900 lbs cast iron block ^v53 engine.
    V653 alumuim block Has 4 bolt main craddle all the way down unlike standard cast Iron block.
    V653 alumuim block has Higher compression 21:1 proformace with turbo, not 17:1 like non turbo standard cast iron block engines. higher compression starts easier in cold weather.
    V653 alumuim block Stock dyno 330hp 800 ft lbs torque with N70 injectors.
    HP can be bumped up to
    400hp with n90 injectors
    650 hp with N 160 injectors
    with nitros can go to 950 hp and still be a daily driver.
    OIl pressure is high volume oil pump 90 psi unlike standard cast iron 6v53 engines.
    more water jackets around sleeves lower down for better and faster cooling.
    even though block is alluim block it has brass inserts so it still has full integretiy and strenght.
    Twin turbos off of 5.9 cummins 12 valve diesel.
    larger oil pan , with speical sump so oil pressure even at masive inclines.

M113 persnal carrier.
    extra water ports in block in lower part of block for exstreme cooling.
    But has smae irom pistons and sleves as iron block engine.
    Iron heads.
    Bell houseing is SAE 3#, but can be changed if needed.
    because it is alluim block, it only weighs 1200# lbs instead of 1800 lbs#
    stock RPMS
    no load 3000 rpms
    with load 2800 rpms
    detroit diesel had fire ring head gaskets before it was cool.
    Detroit also had the first roller cam stock that all newer gas engines now have.
    wwII won.
    Also will run any fuel, diesel , keresene, waste oil, gasoline oil mix, if it burns engine can be made to run on it.

Default 8V71 Jake Brake

Hey all I am new to the website and looking for some quick information. I recently purchased a 1983 Hahn fire engine and it has an 8V71N in it. It does not have jakes on it and I have been looking for a used parts kit. It is a 12 volt system and has an Allison auto transmission. Currently I have found a used parts kit for approximately $2800. That is everything (the jakes, valve covers, fuel lines, exhaust bridges, wiring harness etc.) I am just looking for opinions on that price and if anyone on here might actually have a parts kit themselves or know of somebody that might have one.

Hi
    I've had 8v71's before.
    That seems high to me,look for some old truck wrecking yard.I bought a cutoff cab and engine complete for $200 with a running engine that had Jakes on it.A complete AM rebuild kit was under $1000 when i did an inframe on mine.
    These were a popular engine,Often refereed to as a 318 Jimmy.They were used a lot in buses.Make sure that whoever installs the Jakes knows how to set up the injectors.One guy i had do some work on my 671 didn't set things up right and it ran away.... .Scariest time i'v ever had working on trucks,it was my fuel truck with about 2500 gallons of fuel in the tank.The engine sounded nice...then began to rev up....and up ..and up..it was sreaming away he was trying to block the air with a piece of plywood and it kept racing away.I grabed a filter wrench and spun the filter off and it died.My face was about a foot away from the block as i'm trying to spin the filter off,all i could think about was a rod coming out at me.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

671'as used to have a flip lever on the blower to stop runaways.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Cool. I have now found a used parts fit for 2000. I know it just seems to be slim pickings around this area.

Question 1975 k30

I am new to this site but I have a 1975 k30 dually I purchased without a engine it is a single cab I want to swap a 4-71 dd into it and a rto910 ten speed. I saw that gophergunner has done this swap but I need more info on what all he had todo to make engine and trans fit. I'm not building a show truck just a weekend haul truck to pull a 35 foot gooseneck and my pulling tractors to the tractor pulls. Any info would be great.

Default tdh 4519 " Smokey "

This is my first post, I'm hoping to gain information on my x Oregon transit bus. 1967 tdh 4519.
    Its the 6v-71, automatic v drive.
    I found this site by general search, would be great to learn more than I have been able to on my own.
    I'm considering installing an auxiliary (2nd) drive train (engine, trans and dually axle)
    Out of a 78 winnebago that has a 440.
    The Detroit setup is in the rear, I would install the gas setup as a mid engine.
    Thoughts anyone?
    I'm curious about structure, this bus seems a lot like a unibody vw bus x10

Default locating 4-53t Detroit

Hi, New here. N. Eastern PA What type of equipment or vehicle would have a 4-53t that would be best suited for a 1 ton swap? And what is the average going rate for one in decent running condition? Also possibly a 6v53t, though if I went 6v53t , It would be in a medium duty truck. Thanks in advance for any input. PS I'd be going with an auto, Allison at545, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit 8V92TA View Post
    Hi, New here. N. Eastern PA What type of equipment or vehicle would have a 4-53t that would be best suited for a 1 ton swap? And what is the average going rate for one in decent running condition? Also possibly a 6v53t, though if I went 6v53t , It would be in a medium duty truck. Thanks in advance for any input. PS I'd be going with an auto, Allison at545, etc
    I ran a 453 for a few years and got real tired of it. It is noisy and not fuel efficient and doesn't have the bottom end torque other engines have.

It does have a very unique sound that I liked (but a little too much of it), but I would never own one again. The 6BT engine seems like a much more capable engine in a smaller vehicle. I would choose one of those any day over the Detroit.

Default reply regarding Cummins vs Detroit

Thanks for the heads up about Detroit drawbacks. I do like Cummins also, however the Detroit swap won't be a daily driver. More or less a unique"toy" if a 6v53t is ridiculously underpowered and fuel thirsty, well I'm not worried about poor fuel economy. Power, yes. Though if a 6v53t is wayyy underpowered for a single axle medium duty, example: International 4700, perhaps a silver 6v92ta would be adequate. With all due respect, I value your input about getting tired of the noise and low end issues, however I can't seem to see why a 6v92ta wouldn't be adequate? Do I need to step up to a 8v92ta? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit 8V92TA View Post
    Thanks for the heads up about Detroit drawbacks. I do like Cummins also, however the Detroit swap won't be a daily driver. More or less a unique"toy" if a 6v53t is ridiculously underpowered and fuel thirsty, well I'm not worried about poor fuel economy. Power, yes. Though if a 6v53t is wayyy underpowered for a single axle medium duty, example: International 4700, perhaps a silver 6v92ta would be adequate. With all due respect, I value your input about getting tired of the noise and low end issues, however I can't seem to see why a 6v92ta wouldn't be adequate? Do I need to step up to a 8v92ta? Thanks again.
    The silver 6v92 is a very potent (and heavy) engine. I am guessing you will not be disappointed with it. With nearly 75% more displacement than the 6v53, the two engines aren't really comparable other than the number of cylinders.