Thread: Electrical question

Default Electrical question

2003 2500HD Crew Cab, D/A, very base model.

This morning when I got to work, the right (passenger) front door had no power, no power lock, no power window, from either the driver or passenger control. It was OK when I left the house, because I rolled up the window. The accessory delay doesn't work either, the radio and windows shut down immediately when the key goes off. Also neither remote key fob will work.

A quick check of fuses (without pulling them) doesn't show any obviously blown. Can all these problems be related to one circuit?

Thanks,

Bob
    tufcj

Deeper check last evening, I tested all the fuses in the dash panel and under the hood. All good. I also notice that the dome light doesn't come on when the passenger front door is opened, and the passenger power mirror doesn't work either. I unplugged/reseated the left door harness at the dash fuse panel, that did nothing. The rear passenger door works fine.

A friend suggested maybe the computer needs reprogramming?

Anybody got any suggestions before I take it to the dealer? I don't have much confidence in either of my local dealerships.

Bob
    tufcj

Arrow

Not much to go on "hands off". Check your RAP fuse (again), and the RAP relay. 01/02 has one, I think 03+ has 2, one for each side.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Bob,
    The Retained Accessory Power (RAP) relay permits the operation of convience accessories when the ing switch is cycled from an on to a off or lock position. Its a single pole/double throw relay. When the truck is running, the relay is denergized and the closed contacts (NC) powers devices in the truck. When you shut your truck off, this relay is energized and the other contacts close, maintaining power to various accesories until you open the drivers door. The Body Control Module (BCM) controls this relay by grounding its coil when recieving commands from the ing switch and door jamb switch.
    When you shut your truck off, you should be able to hear this relay energize when you open the drivers door (turn the radio down and watch the light on the radio). If the relay is not actvating, you should be able to test the coil power and ground contacts at the relay socket with a test light.
    I suspect you have a problem with the door jamb switch and/or wirring inside the door. You stated that the dome light and LH power mirror are not working. These devices are not part of the RAP circuit, but are part of the door wiring harness.
    Any dealer with a scan tool can troubleshot this pretty quickly. If you have a problem with the BCM, the dealer has to change it because they have to configre the new one. On a 2001, the BCM is located below the steering column behind the "knee bolster".
    MEP<br />01 2500HD, LB 4x4 Dmax w/ZF-6 spd., SBC Solid Steel Flywheel<br />DP member #739

Here's what I got from a GM tech that a friend knows.

The right front switch on your truck is actually the rf door module and controls the keyless entry, window and door controls and probably keeping the retained accessory power from working. You quite possibly have a bad module on the right door. You will want to check all the powers and grounds to the module, if they are all there you will need a new module and it will have to be programmed when you replace it. Hope that helps.

Default here's a twist

I have a 99 S10 that is acting like the door is open/unlatched. I have no pwr to rap features once key is off, dome light stays on with doors closed & override button out. Keyless entry works fine so does pwr locks, windows on both sides. It sounds like its not making a door connection. Door chime goes off with keys in ignition door closed, dash "security" light go off when doors are closed. ??
    Thanks,
    TA

Replaced the passenger side front window control with a junkyard part ($30) yesterday. Everything works except the keyless entry.

Found these instructions on the net. I'll test them tonite to re-sync the keyless.

TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

IMPORTANT: Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

1. Close all vehicle doors.
    2. Insert the key into the ignition.
    3. Hold down the power UNLOCK button on the driver’s door panel-continue to hold down until instructed
    to release in step 9.
    4. Perform steps 5 through 8 in fairly rapid succession.
    5. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (as far as you can go without starting the engine).
    6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
    7. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
    8. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
    9. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The vehicle will lock and unlock the doors automatically.
    10. Hold down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously until the door locks and unlocks.
    This step may take up to 30 seconds.
    11. Repeat step 10 NOW for each additional transmitter (including any existing transmitters).
    12. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming mode.

Bob
    tufcj