Thread: Diesel vs. Gas

Default Diesel vs. Gas

I'm looking at two used trucks at different dealers , thinking about buying one. One is a 2004 Chevy 2500 4X4 with a 6.0 gas engine. The other one is a 2004 Ford F-250 4X4 with a 6.0 Power stroke Diesel . Both are nice trucks and don't look abused. The salesman with the Chevy was telling me that the 6.0 Power Stroke Diesel in the Fords were no good and plaged with problems. Is this true or is he just trying to sell his Chevy ? I never owned a diesel but am considering it because I need something to pull a huge car trailer and always heard that they were tough. Is there anything that I should watch out for with buying the diesel ? Any suggestions ?

Yes, lots of problems with the Ford 6.0 diesel and because of that, prices are depressed for a truck that has that engine in it. If you get the Ford, make sure you get it for a good price in case you have to pay for work in the future. Head gaskets are problematic. Also, keep the engine stock and it'll be a lot more reliable. A lot of the problems experienced from this engine is due to trying to hop them up.

If you want a better diesel, get either a 06 Chevy Duramax or a Cummins with a manual transmission. Dodge automatic transmissions are problematic. However, you'll have to pay a premium price.

The Chevy 6.0 gas would be an excellent truck but hard on fuel and it won't have the pulling ability of a Duramax or Cummins.

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
    Yes, lots of problems with the Ford 6.0 diesel and because of that, prices are depressed for a truck that has that engine in it. If you get the Ford, make sure you get it for a good price in case you have to pay for work in the future. Head gaskets are problematic. Also, keep the engine stock and it'll be a lot more reliable. A lot of the problems experienced from this engine is due to trying to hop them up.

If you want a better diesel, get either a 06 Chevy Duramax or a Cummins with a manual transmission. Dodge automatic transmissions are problematic. However, you'll have to pay a premium price.

The Chevy 6.0 gas would be an excellent truck but hard on fuel and it won't have the pulling ability of a Duramax or Cummins.
    Thanks, Better safe than sorry. I will take your advice and keep looking.

Do a google search on ford 6.0 power stroke you will be amazed at the info you will find. The Ford 6.0 can be made into a dependable engine but it takes a knowlegeable diesel tech and a fair amount of money.
    2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD, EC, SB, 4x4 LBZ, Allison 1000 6 speed, Banks 3" Intercooler Tube, BD LH Exhaust Manifold, Diamod Eye Downpipe, MBRP 4" Cat Delete Pipe, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust, GoodYear 265/75R 16E, Eagle Alloy 16"x8" wheels, Autometer EGT/Boost gauges, 50 gal in bed aux fuel tank.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.