For the past 2 or 3 months my truck would start in the morning fairly well. Then I would drive 15 miles to the office the truck would sit for 20 minutes or so and I would restart and begin making rounds from job to job(masonry contractor) The second start was always a hard and long start, like it lost its prime 4 to 9 seconds of starter use but it would start. You could turn it off and restart with 3 or 4 seconds of starter. Something just was not right.
After reading all of the filter post, oem and added, I just knew my truck was getting air but I wanted to take it to the dealer for them to diagnose. They said it was a bad fuel filter and replaced the filter(the third in to weeks. the first two by my mechanics). When I got to the dealer to pick it up it was sitting there running. I shut it off and restarted 2 seconds of starter great! Got back to the office parked twenty minutes later a long start. On several ocassions I had decided that it was caused by the juice but it would do it with or with out. Checked injector balence with my predator all good fuel pressure at idle just as commanded........must be air sucking in....installed fm 100 lift pump 5 psi to oem filter.......still did it........had several conversations with dmaxallitech(thanks eric)checked every thing from starter rpm to battery voltage. Nothing out of spec. Called a friend who had a loss of power issue corrected at another nearby gmc dealer called that service manager took it in for a consultation. Checked starting fuel pressure way low and took 4 to 9 seconds to build to 5000 psi(starting pressure)Once it started we shut it off and the pressure dropped to 0 in 3 seconds. Did the same with a new duramax it would start in 1.5 seconds and take 30 to 40 seconds for the pressure to drop. He agreed I had a problem we made an appointment for this monday.
They began by commanding fuel pressure and got 13000psi when it should have been 23000psi. Next the they disconnected the fuel rail return lines and connected a piece of hose from each to a container. Spun the motor for 15 seconds and measured the fuel in each container There should have been 15 ml on each container but the left had 30 and the right had none. That proved the leak was on the left side. They tore down the left side to the injectors and performed the same test with a hose on each injectors return three returned nothing one returned 30 ml At last the culprit a faulty injector return. Ordered one injector for cylinder no 2 installed it and that fixed the problem. The diagnoses and repair took nine hours over three days with some injector travel time. Needless to say I have found my new dealer. There are definitely some good ones out there but you got to look.........I think we should start a positve dealer experience post.

on a side note I thought this might have contributed to my burtsing miss issue with the TST. It did allow the truck to run a level or two higher but he bursting is still there. I have some pictures of the injector and will add to this long post tommorrow

My new dealer is Legacy Pontiac Gmc Eutaw Alabama. Purchased my partner a new Yukon there today dave

[ 07-17-2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: sdaver ]