Thread: Swapping a 5.3L vortec for a Duramax in a 1500

I currently own a 2000 Silverado Z-71 ext-cab with about 9" of lift. After the lift my power went down alot. I reall like the Duramax engine set up and I am considering doing a complete power train swap.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of this being done lately? Also if there are any other sites that might have some information about this idea would be greatly appreciated.

Arrow

You may need to install a 2" body lift, but the rest of the swap should be easy. You'll need the related electrical harnesses and instrument gauge cluster, intercooler, radiator, and ATF cooler (if you plan to tow).

The harnesses should just plug in, but there may be some wiring issues, so a set of wiring diagrams for the model year of the engine and your truck would be a good idea.

You'll also need to retrofit the fuel tank sender assembly from a diesel into your tank, along with matching fuel lines.

Jim

The loss of power is not because of the lift, its from the large diameter tires you must have put on to go with the lift.
    A cheaper way to get the power back is to change the rear end gears to match the tire size.

I do have large tires, 37" super swampers. I have thought of changing the gears and doing some more upgrades on the engine as well. I just really like the duramax engine and really want one.

markrinker Guest

Not to discourage you - as I am also a huge fan of the Duramax - but I recently owned a 2000 Silverado extended cab, lowered, 20" wheels, with a Whipple Supercharger.

I was amazed at the power that the 5.3L is capable of with this 'bolt-on'. We dyno'd the truck at over 400hp at the rear wheels.

Just a thought.

Originally posted by nitrorapter:
    I do have large tires, 37" super swampers. I have thought of changing the gears and doing some more upgrades on the engine as well. I just really like the duramax engine and really want one.
    With 37" tires I would go with 4.56 gears, that would get your orginal power back.

Check this site http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

I don't think it is necessary to use the cluster from the DMax donor. There is an article about a DMAx swap into an old FMC motorhome in the member's area and they found that the cluster was not necessary.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Arrow

You are correct in that the engine will run without the instrument cluster, but you'll be locked into using a Tech II to solve the security issues. You'll also not have the tach & speedo, fuel gauge, oil pressure gauge, engine temperature gauge, transmission temperature gauge, check engine light, driver information center, gear selection indicator, and other useful stuff.

Most decent car audio/video shops could fabricate a good looking IP cluster housing that mounts in your dash.

Jim