Thread: Differences

My buddy is going to buy a new F250 or a new Duramax. He can't decide which. Other than the larger wheels and tires, both trucks have comparable options. I'm not on any of the other diesel boards, any one want to share the common issues with the new PSD?

Thanks
    2002 Silverado 2500 D/A CC SB<br />Predator, H2\'s 315\'s Bilsteins

madmatt Guest

the 6.0L PSDs have been plauged w/ catistrophic engine failures and the and the "normal" growing pains that come w/ ever increasing injection pressures, i.e....injector failures. They've been blowing cranks and rods. The local dealer hear had @ one time three sitting on their lot w/ auxillary PCV ports located where the rods came into contact w/ the block. My buddies did it in two days and he had his truck bought back. they seem to more apt to do this w/ boxes installed or under load. thats not to say there aren't people out there who have had good luck w/ their PSDs and some that have had bad w/ their D-maxs. I belive the Duramax is a better engine, and the GMs a better truck. Thats just my opinion and experience w/ both engines.

madmatt, what year was the PSD? I have two friends with 04, PSD 6.0, CC, DRW. Both have juice, attitude, air, and exhaust upgrades. They each had early issues with idling, rough running, and surging. Recent flash upgrade has fixed that problem. Supposedly, newer 05 have fixed these issues. There are other sites/forums which cater to PSDs so you should search there. I agree that they are going thru similiar growing pains as the dmax.

What will the truck be used for? How many passengers?

I've always liked chevs for ride and comfort issues. Crew cab great w/4 kids. The Dmax/Alli is a tough combo to beat. Have 41K miles. Love to drive this truck everyday. Except for recent diesel prices...
    03 Silverado/LS/D-A/CC/SB Summit White.

It will be a daily driver, no wife no kids. No large loads. Probably a pretty easy life
    2002 Silverado 2500 D/A CC SB<br />Predator, H2\'s 315\'s Bilsteins

Better get the Ford. It might be able to handle that.

Besides, the Duramax would probably die of boredom.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

madmatt Guest

I know my buddies was an 04 and I had a 04 Co. truck that had a 6.0l in a 2wd r/c w/ utility bed that lost an injector and trans both within the first two months of use. it was carrying around a lot of weight all the time though. A guy I work w/ pulls his 8000# pulling truck w/ his fathers 05 6.0l and has has pretty good luck w/ it though. Honestly, to be a daily driver that seldom sees a load I'd seriously consider a gasser. The fuel is cheaper, not that less fuel milage, and if you plan on keeping it past warr. the repairs on a gasser are much cheaper. Thats all just something to think about. either way there both (gas/diesel) good, it just depends on what suits you better. I towed a lot w/ my 6.0 2500 and couldn't have asked for a better truck.