Thread: Sierra Denali air box...cold air?

Since I'm having this very rare fuse blowing problem in my 2500hd, I'm driving a loner today. A black Sierra Denali with twenty miles on it. What can I say, I can be a sweet talker. While looking at every nook and crany of this truck I came across an interesting air box. At first glance it looks just like ours. That is until you see that there's no hole in the front. Instead it has two small ducts that connect to the holes that the infamous aluminum tape covers. It looks to be a crack at cold air induction. It might be worth a shot to try it out on one of these trucks. Anyone out there tried anything similar? I posted pics at web shots, the link is below. Also in the pics you will find one of the goofy dead air box thing like we have, however it's even uglier on this truck!
    After putting around 70 miles on this truck today my opinion is that its all that and a case of beer. I'm hoping that the wife will get one of these as her next vehicle. I think it turns a tighter circle than her Alero. Since she wants to stick with gassers, this would be great. Oh yeah, it seems to be good on gas too. The more toys in the box the merrier!

Later,

TJ
    TJ's Pics
    03 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A CC SB

Actually the early '01s had "snorkles" that went to the holes coverred by the aluminized bumper sticker on later D-maxes. They had a nasty tendency to suck water through the snorkles turning the filter material into mush. . . thus the "improved" airbox and the bumper sticker on our trucks. If you decide to go to a Denali type box just remeber to pull over and shut down when it rains, and avaoid all puddles.
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC D/ZF SB Fire Red 2WD no longer the fastest stocker up the hill at the TDP Pull Off. -sold-
    2004 Chevy Suburban 5.3L 2WD
    1996 GMC Sierra 1500 5.0L 5sp 2WD LB

I guess thats that. I figured since the Denali version of the 6.0 had increased airflow mods this may be something good. Like and learn. It was worth a shot.

TJ

You guys just reminded me to look at that aluminized tape. Yep, half flapping in the breeze. Riiiiiiippppppp!

Note to '03 owners. Save yourself some trouble and just rip off that aluminized foil tape covering a large hole in the inner fender next to the air box. Otherwise, it will soon be sucked into the air box and plugs the air filter.

Thanks,
    Geo.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD EC SB 4x4 D/A, Jordan 2020 Brake Controller,<br />Transfer Flow 45 Gal., Reese 16k FW hitch, 2001 Sunnybrook 27RKFS FW

Hey TJ, I'll be in RI for a few days in August, We oughtta catch up for a beer, Of course Im sure I will see ya this saturday too. On a side note, The 6.0 airfilter assembly also wont work because the MAF sensor setup is different. Was hoping to have an "emergency" spare from our 6.0 =no go
    Bill
    Gmanjr96@aol.com
    2002 Dmax, A few 6.5\'s, And a 6.2 <br />Gmanjr96@aol.com

Cool

I'm still using my air box just as it came from the factory except for a couple of 1.5 in. holes behind the headlight near the snorkle & an Amsoil 2 stage filter .
    I have never had a water problem and I have been through a lot of it this Summer .

2001 D/A Lt Pewter
    2007 Classic Silver Birch D/A CC Shortbed

Pewter,
    I think it mostly applies to snow and slush. You can get a new air box I believe from the Dealer for free if you want.
    2001 C3500 Charcoal Grey, Lotsa Putco stainless stuff, CB with 250 watt amp, TST Competition box, 600 watt inverter

Thechevyhdman- thanks for the input. I didn't get as far as measuring everything out to see if it would work. Thankfully I can rely on my fellow DP members to keep me pointed in the right direction. Thanks to all. Three days till dyno day!

TJ