Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filter Change on Duramax

Red face

Hello all

I know this was asked 100 times before.. I can't find info on the best way to change fuel filter or pictures.. The OEM one 2003.. How in the world do you get to it.. I hope we don't have to pull the finder liner out.. I have bad luck breaking the clips

From steve

Either by removing the fender liner and going from the bottom, or from the top without removing the fender liner. You may be able to pull out far enough to get at the filter from the bottom without having to remove the clips. I do mine from the top but I've got an 02 so your ac lines may or may not be in the way.
    '02 2500HD CC SB 4X4 D/A, Kennedy headlight kit, OilGuard bypass, Nicktane fuel filt, Pred 1.04, Autometer Ultra-Lites, ARE Z-Series, DX-959, KL203, Xferflow filler kit, Kennedy twin lift pump kit, Alpine CDE-HD137BT, JL Audio C2-650X Evolution Series speakers

I also have a 2002. I did my first fuel filter change from the bottom by removing the finder liner. I did my second from the top. Only problem I had from the top was that when I removed the old filter a plastic piece stayed in the housing. At first I didn't notice that it did not come out with the filter. After I removed it, things went smoothly. I plan on doing mine from the top the next time. As someone on the list said earlier, you need to know how to do it from the top in case you have a problem on the road. I am pretty tall, and still found a stool to be a big help in installing the new filter.

Remember, don't get diesel fuel on your frame. It removes the was rust protector. Also, a little grease will help hold the o-rings in place while installing the filter.

I have some instructions posted by members earlier. If you would like a copy, post your e-mail address.
    2002; GMC; 2500HD; D/A; extended cab; long box; 4 WD; Summit White; cloth buckets; ONKI running boards, Sierra mud flaps, A.R.E. Z-Series topper, Bed Rug, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, and McKesh towing mirrors.

hapaschold Guest

i just go thru the fender liner, pull it down in the middle. about 10, 15 minutes to complete.

then let the fender liner pop back into place. clips broke the first time, but it stays in place without them.

Just changed mine on a 2003 and the only way I found that I could do it was to remove part of the fender liner. Used 2 small screw drivers to open the fender liner clips. Pain in the butt process.
    2003 GMC D/A 2500HD SB 4x4, Pewter, Banks Stinger, pulling a 13K Alpenlite 5th wheel nearly full time.

Thumbs up

I found that on my '02 it easier to change if I remove the passenger side battery first. This gives you more working room from the top.

Just my $.02

Joe
    1967 Kaiser M715 5/4ton<br />2001 Dakota Quad Sport<br />2002 Chevy D/A CC SB<br />2002 Ram 2500 CTD<br />All 4x4s<br />Registered Member since Sep 2001

Angry

hello all

I just dont get it why in the world do they make it so hard to change. when you have to change it around 5,000 or so.. I would like to do it every 3000 miles
    when we do our oil. Because of the heat in so fl and
    idel time.. Can the clips be ordered.

Also How Do you Drain this filter.. From the White
    piece on the Bottom.. even thats hard to reach

From steve
    South FL

15,000 MI is what the book says for replacement on the 02.
    '02 2500HD CC SB 4X4 D/A, Kennedy headlight kit, OilGuard bypass, Nicktane fuel filt, Pred 1.04, Autometer Ultra-Lites, ARE Z-Series, DX-959, KL203, Xferflow filler kit, Kennedy twin lift pump kit, Alpine CDE-HD137BT, JL Audio C2-650X Evolution Series speakers

Flat rate mechanic here.... 03 gets changed from the top with out removing anything...no wheel well liner, battery or otherwise, sometimes the a/c lines get repositioned slightly, but all from the top non-the-less.
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

Dmax - regarding changing the fuel filter from the top - after removing the sensor wires is all I need is a filter wrench that will fit to remove it? Thanks - Murf

ps did you find out weather or not you can get the 75-140 rear end fluid - been busy and haven't been able to call - selling the house and closing the business down, getting ready to go full timin for a year or so -
    2003 GMC 2500 D/A SLT Extendcab<br />28\' Splash TT<br />8\'LiteCraft Slidein/popup

White Knight - I'd like those instructions you mentioned.
    My email is jashuck*AT*gcctv.com
    Thanx in advance.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD D/A ExtCab; dual remote bypass; heated Racor pre-OEM; MagHytec rear diff cover; Putco stainless flaps; Line-X over the rails; Amsoil airfilter and synth fluids; Wet Okole covers w/ Duramax logo; & more . . .

Here is another link that you may be interested in. It discusses a number of ways to change the filer. Gotta admit that none of them sound all that easy to do on the side of the road...

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-b...c;f=3;t=005612
    Scott (sroeglin@comcast.net)<br />2003 White GMC D/A CC

Wink

I haven't heard of anyone changing a filter along the side of the road. Changing it on schedule in the garage will prevent that. GM did not design the filter to be changed by shade tree mechanics. After I loosen the filter and unhook the sensor wire, I slide a one gallon bag up around it. Later! Lone Eagle
    02 2500 HD EC SB<br />Juice 4.61<br />Post OEM Racor 660<br />Back Country Bars<br />Roll Lock Cover<br />B & W Turnover

I normally remove the passenger side battery (very easy to do) for better access. Make sure that you use some kind of container to catch any fuel that may drip or spill. Otherwise, like White Knight said, the fuel will disolve the frame coating.
    It happened to me, now I have a rust spot on the frame directly below the filter. What is everybody using to re-coat the frame when boo-boo's like this happen?
    2002 Pewter GMC CC D/A Long Bed 4X4 <br />Mag-Hytec Diff. Cover<br />Bedrug bed cover<br />Pace Edwards electric rollbed cover<br />Transfer Flow 56 gal fuel tank<br />Banks 4\" Exhaust<br />Kodiak Electric steps<br />Red Line Synthetic Lubricants <br />(from head to toe)<br />Amsoil Air Filter<br />FilterMag - Super,Duper oil filter magnet<br />Super Magnet - Magnetic engine oil pan plug

Unhappy

Hello all

Looking at the filter tonight.. The wires on the bottom of the filter unit do they just pull off the filter or is there a clip to undo it.. Also if the white piece breaks does the new filter come with one on it.. Or do you have to buy a new one at GM.. Reason why i'm asking so much on this truck.. Were going to add 12 units to our fleet next month.. My shop guys are great on the powerstroke .. but need to learn this 6.6 Duramax ...

From steve

Smartfix, you asked; "The wires on the bottom of the filter unit do they just pull off the filter or is there a clip to undo it.. Also if the white piece breaks does the new filter come with one on it.. Or do you have to buy a new one at GM."

The wires disconnect a few inches from the bottom of the filter at a connector in the harness. The "white piece" unscrews from the bottom of the fuel filter and does not come with the new filter. You unscrew it after removing the filter and re-install it on the new filter. I have been meaning to check with the General to see about getting a spare. I have been concerned that I may break a wire off the "white piece".
    2002; GMC; 2500HD; D/A; extended cab; long box; 4 WD; Summit White; cloth buckets; ONKI running boards, Sierra mud flaps, A.R.E. Z-Series topper, Bed Rug, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, and McKesh towing mirrors.

Red face

Changed my fuel filter yesterday and the job went real good until I tried to put the filter wrench on and it would not open far enough. So there sat. the truck with the fender liner part way out and the fuel drained out of the filter while I ran over to a friends house to get a chain wrench. Is there a band type filter wrench that will work?

Thanks

Walt
    03 2500HD LS D/A 4X4 XC SB

Did my '03 last week. I removed the whole filter assembly. I didn't have a filter wrench big enough. Unhook all the wires. I replaced the screw on the ground wire so it didn't get lost. Undo the clamps. Slide off the hoses and two screws later the whole thing is out. I didn't even drain it just be careful to keep it turned with the steel lines up. A little cussing to get the hoses off but well worth the effort. I also replaced the clamps with worm clamps. Much easier to tighten. I got the filter off by hand. I can see how people can get an o-ring cocked on these things.
    2003 GMC 2500HD, DMAX/ZF 6 gear, 4X4, CC/SB, Carbon Metallic, <br />pre OEM CAT filter, H2 wheels & tires. <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/jelisfc\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

I have put 7 filters on my 2001 and I have not went thru all the crap you people are describing. All it takes is patience and 1 strong hand plus a strap wrench.
    Joe

It is much easier to do the fuel filter change on the 2001 than on the new 2003 because the AC lines are in the way,....placed there by some sick minded GM engineer to just Pi$$ all of us 2003 owners off.
    Still kicking, just not as high!