Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Oil Question

I've done the search and read thru the topics about AMSOIL Synthetic oils and Fossil based oils.

My question is. Is anyone using a synthetic blend oil?

I've been a long standing Rotella-T user. I've been looking at the AMSOIL Synthetic Blend oil. The AMSOIL site says it has outstanding performance at temperature extremes, but they don't list the temperature ranges like they do for their synthetic oil line. I've also heard that Rotella now has a Synthetic Blend product.

I'm not looking to reopen a debate of oil, just trying to find an opinion on the Synthetic Blend oils.

Also. Anyone try the Rotella-T Fully Synthetic Oil (5W-40) ?

[ 01-06-2003: Message edited by: johns ]</p>
    2002 GMC 3500, Extended Cab, SLE, Storm Gray, Duramax, Allison, 4x4, AMS-Oil Air Filter, Line-X spray-in liner, PaceEdwards rolltop cover, XM Radio, Reese 16K 5th Wheel Hitch, Lucerix Trailering Mirrors (soon to have TTT Mirrors)<p>Pulling a Kountry Star 30RKCL<p><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/29000596SajNJGBIml\" target=\"_blank\"><b> My Truck and Trailer </b></a>

Cool

I am running the Rotella Synthetic and I am extending the drain time slightly. Amsoil and Delvac 1 are true synthetic and the Rotella in not exactly synthetic. Search other threads for a better explanation. I have used the Amsoil 15w40 Synthetic and liked it, just a little pricey. I am using the synthetic in the fall/winter and running dino in the spring summer.

John
    VOLUNTEER FIRECHIEF "Without COURAGE, all other virtues lose their meaning" Truck Info
    indigodually@hotmail.com
    Member # 7674
    Pulling many trailers including an '03 34' Montana 5'er adapted to G/N
    Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It...Then Sent It Back!

Talking

I have put in the Shell 5W40 and have one trip from Alabama to Maryland and back. Ran at speed limit (+5?). Tail wind up slightly less headwind back. 22.1 up 20.3 back. This is up from in the 19's on my last trip (OK & NM). Toatl mileage on truck now about 12K.
    WAM, 2500HD D/A ext cab 4X4, 1997 Suburban 6.5TD K-1500.

LanduytG Guest

No need for a blend or a group 3 oil when you can get the Amsoil fully synthetic 15W-40 for 37.30 for a 10 qt jug or 71.00 for a case of 2 jugs.
    Greg

kerry witherspoon Guest

Which type of amsoil synthetic is best for the duramax. the marine 15-40 or5-30 seris 3000 or is there a better amsoil yet.

LanduytG Guest

I recommend the Series 3000 5W-30. About 75% of my Dmax customers are on this. All are having good results. But it is pricey and you really should run it 15K miles to make it cost efective.
    Greg

Two questions:
    If you run the oil 15K or how many months max? That's about 8 months of driving for me. The last time I ran synthetic it was 12 months.

Assuming I run a single filter and not a dual bypass whats the replacement mileage?

Thanx.
    2003 GMC 2500HD, DMAX/ZF 6 gear, 4X4, CC/SB, Carbon Metallic, <br />pre OEM CAT filter, H2 wheels & tires. <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/jelisfc\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

Be very careful listening to anyone that recommends you using an oil that is not in the factory approved viscosity range. A 5w-30 oil is only approved under very specific conditions that are not common in the continental USA (except in certain areas in the winter).

Do yourself a favor. Read the Diesel Supplement and the TSB regarding recommended oils. Unless you have a late 2002 or 2003 model the Diesel Supplement has been amended by the TSB.

Who cares how many people use an oil that's too light for the Duramax and get away with it (for a while)? Use the right oil viscosity in the brand of your choice.

LanduytG Guest

Some people are still in the stone age around here.

Run the oil 15K or one year and change the filter at 7.5K or six months. I have customers that pull their Duramx hard on a daily basis using the Series 2000 5W-30 that have over 50K miles on it. Truck runs great and the oil is in good shape. Of course these guys have by-pass systems on as well.

But withoout a by-pass you can run 15K miles no problem.

With the technology we have today a 30 weight can out perform a 40 weight. When you read the manual you need to read whats in it and not add to it or take away from it.

Greg

I am currently running amsoil 15w-40 marine in my dmax and was wondering what, if any, differance there is from the 5w-30 you reccomend. What makes it better? Just a question.
    2003 2500HD D/A LT 4X4 <br /> Banks Monster Exhaust <br /> Amsoil Air Filter

I am currently on my third change of Amsoil 5W-30 Series 3000 and had the previous two change outs analyzed with approximately 7.5K on each. Both results showed extremely low wear metal content and high remaining additives and, hence, recommended further use.

I, by no means, consider myself a lubricant expert, but personally believe in using the lightest weight oil that offers the protection needed in order to get fluid to critical engine components more efficiently. As many of the well-educated and experienced members here know, viscosity is not the only characteristic in determining an oil's effectiveness.

I will say that living in the upper part of the continental US does influence my decision to use 5W-30 slightly. But irregardless of outside ambient temperatures, I would suggest basing your decision on factual evidence, not old practices and beliefs. I will continue to use Amsoil 5W-30 Series 3000, supplied by none other than a certain DP member we are all aware of.

I will also continue to not regard the owner's manual as gospel, for if I did, I would not use a fuel supplement for fear of catastrophic engine failure.

[ 01-07-2003: Message edited by: woundedbear ]</p>
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado K2500HD
    Crew Cab 153"WB LS Duramax/Allison

Exclamation

woundedbear suggested "I would suggest basing your decision on factual evidence, not old practices and beliefs." I agree 100%!!!! That's why I will stick with what the engineers that designed and tested the engine specify. I won't believe somebody hocking snakeoil that claims their product is the best in the world no matter what product it may be.

You want "factual evidence"? It's written in your Diesel Supplement. It's guaranteed by them too.

People with little or no education on this subject are given sales materials that make all kinds of crazy claims. They think they are experts because they've read the sales literature. I prefer to listen to the engineers that designed and built the engine. They didn't specify the brand, but they did publish other specific requirements for the engine oil you use. Why in the world would you choose to disregard their recommendations and go with a product that does not meet their specifications because you read that it was better on the internet? Yes, I agree... I'll stick with the factual evidence.

Heartbeat Hauler Guest

Don't forget this one little word:

warranty

JP

csimo-

You said a mouthfull, all good.

johns- Go here for more info-

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-b...=3&t=004749&p=

One additional thing: lubricants manufacturers blend and additize lubricants based on engine, drivetrain component, and other component manufacturing requiring specific lubrication. They do not arbitrarily make any lubricant. The spec comes first and then the lube.

Use the right spec and change it when necessary. I have managed fleets (as a supplier) where they did hundreds of lubricants samples each year. These programs work but add significant cost.

In my belief, a current spec (CI) 15w40 changed every 6k will be plenty often. The DMax has an adequate crankcase capacity. You can try the analysis to get comfortable with this interval.

Certain conditions could warrant more frequent change, if you are towing a fifth wheel car carrier 80% of the DMax lifetime as an example. Most people tow a LOT less than this.

Please don't waste lubricants by under-using them. Even when recycled, there is a huge negative effect to the environment, the vast majority of it is incenerated for BTU value and we all know what's in it.

[ 01-07-2003: Message edited by: TraceF ]

[ 01-07-2003: Message edited by: TraceF ]</p>
    2008 GMC Sierra SLE 2500 HD
    Z71 4x4 Extended cab long bed
    265/70/17 oem aluminum wheels
    6.0 gasser with 6L90 tranny

2007 Harley Davidson FXSTC
    Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

Kennedy Guest

I would suggest sticking with the 40w. Don't much less care who's oil it is, but 40w. If you can get it in 5w40 for cold climates, go for it.

The 40w oil was designed for a reason. To handle the severe shock loads of a compression ignited engine... 5w20 was designed to save a couple auto mfr's some smog points. Is it advisable to run this weight in place of 5w30?

I will not run any oil past 10k, and have been changing mine at 4k even with synthetic.

I know this post will not be popular with some, but I feel this is a very serious subject.

My next suggestion would be to ask Dr Lee...

Cool

I just ordered 5 gallons of the 15-40 Marine synthetic, I asked my tech at my dealer, he did'nt know what GM says about using Amsoil synthetic oil, I mainly made a decision on this web site, and after talking with a co-worker of mine, he has used Amsoil for over 10 years, and he has had no problems what so-ever, he said stick with the heavier weight oil for pulling a camper or really heavy loads, better wear protection. Any web sites where I can verify AUCTUAL documents regarding my warranty and using other than stock oil??. Thanks
    2002 Chev Dmax/Allison cc/sb,Summit White, BF Goodrich 265,75R-16, SS sep bars, Truxedo Pics-http://www.pbase.com/bigwheel/new_dmax

Interesting topic, just a little from my experience. I don't run Amsoil but I do run Red Line Oil in everything-personal preference.
    On my DMAX I'm using the 15w40 with a short change interval--when the change oil light comes on because of warranty. Once warranty is out I'm going to double the mileage with a filter change or two. From past experience from my other truck '93 suburban with 350000 on the clock
    running Red Line, been changing oil every 25-30000 km. with filters every 5. Everything is original, no oil consumption. Oh by the way when I'm done with the oil, I personally feel its in better shape than regular base oil. Just my opinion.
    2002 Chev K3500 Crew Cab LT Duramax/Allison,36\' tag triaxle<br />Haulmark Edge<br />1990 34\' Chev P30 motorhome 454 turbo400, 30\' tag Haulmark car carrier<br />79 Nova Custom 355 w/glide 67 Camaro 355 w/glide<br />86 Buick GN T-Type

Agree with JK here. A 5w40 will exhibit the same lubricating characteristics as a 15w40 at operting temperature. It just flows quicker until it gets to operating temperature. Apparently not enough quicker to make GM engineers recommend it across the board, only in extreme cold.

It doesn't matter if it's 30 outside or 100- the operating temperature of the engine is relatively well regulated if all systems are operating properly.

Despite experiences expressed herein I also would avoid any w30 for the DMax.

Just to clarify- I'm sure JK didn't mean straight 40w, only refering to multi-grade.
    2008 GMC Sierra SLE 2500 HD
    Z71 4x4 Extended cab long bed
    265/70/17 oem aluminum wheels
    6.0 gasser with 6L90 tranny

2007 Harley Davidson FXSTC
    Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

This is such a debatable discussions due to you could look at ten different sources of info and get different results.....

=&gt;Type API Certified W/Starburst Symbol
    Viscosity SAE 10W-30 Preferred or SAE 5W-30 Can Be Used Below 60 Degrees F......

Myself I adhere to the most current TSB......

Once again=&gt;Diesel Engine - Correct Oil Viscosity & Oil Filter Usage

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 00-06-01-025A

Date: September, 2001

INFORMATION
    Subject:
    Correct Oil Viscosity and Oil Filter Usage for the Duramax 6600 Diesel Engine (RPO LB7)

Models:

2001-2002 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500 HD and 3500 Models with 6.6L Engine (VIN 1 - RPO LB7)

This bulletin is being revised to add the AC Delco oil filter part number and add the 2002 Model Year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-06-01-025 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).
    Important :The Duramax 6600 diesel engine can produce oil pressures over 690 kPa (100 psi) during a cold start condition and the oil pressure gauge may remain near 552 kPa (80 psi) while driving. Because of these oil pressures, it is important that the correct oil filter is used and torqued properly and the proper oil viscosity is used for the ambient temperatures.

Oil Filter

The correct oil filter for use on the Duramax 6600 engine is the AC PF2232 or the production oil filter, GM P/N 97214983. This filter was designed specifically for use on the Duramax 6600 engine and incorporates improved filtering capabilities as well as an integral oil pressure relief valve. The oil filter should be torqued to 24 N.m (18 lb ft) to prevent leaks under high pressure conditions.

Oil Viscosity for Cold Weather Operation

SAE 5W-40 viscosity oil designated as API CH-4 or CG-4 should be used if the ambient temperature falls below -18

Cool

Hey Mac, Must be sucking tire smoke into the Air Filter.

John
    VOLUNTEER FIRECHIEF "Without COURAGE, all other virtues lose their meaning" Truck Info
    indigodually@hotmail.com
    Member # 7674
    Pulling many trailers including an '03 34' Montana 5'er adapted to G/N
    Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It...Then Sent It Back!