Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do NOT use Amsoil synthetic diesel oil!

Gentlemen: Let cool heads prevail. This is turning into an emotional knee-jerk reaction by some that could be very damaging to what is possibly a superior product and company. I personally have never used the product. I have seen what misinterpreted, heresay or biased information can do to a reputation, professional or personal. For example: "When did you stop beating your wife" It infers the individual has beaten his wife. Damage done. Once the damage is done , it's alot harder to undo. Imagine people posting the threads here on other boards. I could spread like wildfire.

Amsoil's argument has some logic to it. If you wanted to create a superior product, a company image ("goodwill" in business terms) and reputation around the product, you would have to see what is out there and then raise the bar in terms of quality and performance. The problem is that to get some type of certification you have to stay within certain perameters that would make your product no better than the rest. You believe the perameters to be based on old science or flawed science. So now you have to decide; Do I take a risk and color outside the lines, think outside the box. Or, Take the risk of not being certified and building a better product, or just conform. Thats not America and its not the pioneer spirit that got us here. Nor is it what we want. Obviously Amsoil chose the former.

Many times information changes. The FDA food pyramid is about to be turned on it's head. The medical community is starting to accept the notion that cholesterol levels are more affected by carbohydrate consumption than by fat consumption. But if you were mandated to provide a "healthy" meal as a business, what's healthy today maybe unhealthy tommorow.

Please use restraint until all the facts are in and digested by informed knowledgable people before peoples businesses and lives are affected negatively. What if the assumptions here are wrong? What if it truly is a superior oil? What if their reasons for not being certified are legitimate? Lets take a big breath before we rush to judgement. Again, its always harder to undo damage once done.

Csimo: Not flaming ya dude. But you seem a little emotional about the issue. To me this doesn't seem to be an objective stand. It could appear to some you might have an agenda. Your topic could have read: Amsoil's oil not certified. And then stated your research (which by the way is comendable)and opened up the topic for discussion. Instead you chose: Do NOT use Amsoil..
    This is pretty strong language and infers that you have reached your conclusion the jury verdict is in an Amsoil has no rebuttal you will consider.

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: MountainMax ]</p>

I just went down to my local Monument to check on Redline 15W40 synthetic. It, as well, does not have API certification.

I trust Redline products and use them exclusively throughout my racecar. In my opinion, it is the best stuff around.

However, none of it will be put in my Duramax engine while it is still under warranty. There are other excellent products available (Mobil Delvac 1 for example) that provide superior characteristics to dino oil without voiding the warranty.

The manual clearly states that only API certified oil should be used in the crank. Why risk your warranty for a product that may be only marginally better than the best API certified products?
    Gary<br /><br />2002 Chevy 3500HD, Duramax, ZF-6, Crew Cab, LongBed<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamSMR.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.teamSMR.com</a>

Thumbs up

Nicely Put MountainMax!
    I just called Amsoil, and they are Pi--ed!!, very upset, they are working on a re-buttal as we speak. This is a confusing point, in the users manual, it says look for these two things: CH-4 or CG-4, which 15W-40 marine has these on the bottle, and look for the logo on the can, it's not there. that's why this was confusing to a 'newbie' as where does the "literal" classification fall. The stealer says no, Amsoil says yes. I'm sticking with Amsoil, they have never burned down a motor, to the 6 people I know that have used it for 15 years.

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: Bigwheel ]</p>
    2002 Chev Dmax/Allison cc/sb,Summit White, BF Goodrich 265,75R-16, SS sep bars, Truxedo Pics-http://www.pbase.com/bigwheel/new_dmax

Csimo:
    I've been doing a little forensic internet surfing.

Are You the same "Csimo" that posted a similar thread on www.TDIclub.com that got it quite stirred up a couple of months ago?

By the way, did I thank you for your unbiased and objective opinions on Amsoil? I appreciate you enlightening me to this great fraud which is being perpetrated. Now I just have to determine who the real fraud is.

I do agree that this thread could use a different title. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Regardless, the FACTS (not assumptions) remain.

1. GM waranty requires that the motor oil carry the API service mark.

2. Amsoil 15W-40 full synthetic (for diesels) does not carry the API service mark.

3. Amsoil 5W-30 full synthetic (for diesels) does not carry the API service mark.

4. Amsoil 15W-40 synthetic blend (for diesels) does carry the required API service mark.

The people at Amsoil can get as as they want about the truth being discussed. If they don't like the truth, perhaps they should change things.

Honestly, my suggestion is that if you are concerned about your warranty and want to use Amsoil, stick with their API certified 15W-40 synthetic blend. Once your warranty has expired, change to whatever product you like.