Thread: Changing Fuel Filter

Wink

My first time changing the fuel filter. A few observations that might help someone. You can stop reading here if you've already done it!

1) Even if you don't plan to change your own, but keep one in the truck "in case", do it once in your own driveway.
    2) Mine will not come out through the top (without removing the battery).
    3) Even if you plan to go from the top, take of the fender well so you can get a look at everything once. I found one wiring harness going under the filter, and then clips that needed to be opened to move it. A second harness along side the harness which pushed out on the filter when trying to reinstall. Tied it up and back so I could thread on straight.
    4) While threading on the filter I found the water sensor wires were catching on the lower wire harness and twisting. I taped then to the filter while installing. Or you could install the water sensor after installing the filter. I think its real expensive to replace the sensor if the wires got twisted off.

(And one embarressing moment. Couldn't get the filter pushed up to where it would catch the threads. Finally looked at the old one and saw that there was no center rubber gasket like the new one had. And there was the old one still on the filter mount. Wouldn't have seen this working from the top. Couldn't get it off easily and had to leave soon so I just left the old one in place and removed the one in the new filter.)

Hope this helps someone [img]redface.gif[/img] )

Thanks- sent it directly to my Diesel Pages "How To" folder.
    2008 GMC Sierra SLE 2500 HD
    Z71 4x4 Extended cab long bed
    265/70/17 oem aluminum wheels
    6.0 gasser with 6L90 tranny

2007 Harley Davidson FXSTC
    Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

I don't think I would have left the old oring on the housing and hoped it seated into the filter. When I changed my first filter I put a little grease in the filter ring to help hold the oring in it.

The big o-ring tends to be a little small in diameter so it won't stay "in-the-groove".

All you have to do is stretch it a bit like a rubber band.

My filter comes out the top.... three times already.

Yeah, mine comes out the top too. Once you do it once, this is not a hard job to do by reaching in from the top. If you have to change one along side the road, you will be glad you learned to do it this way.
    Tim<br />\'01 GMC 2500HD, regular cab, Duramax/Allison