Thread: Door hinges

Talked to our shop mechanic today who was saying that if you don't lubricate your door hinges (esp. on GM products) that they wear out fast. I guess thay have some soft brass bushings that wear out quickly. He has a 2001 Chevy truck and he had to buy a $20 bushing kit and special tool from GM to replace the bushings. I thought he was joking until he showed me the work he did on his hinges. Then I looked in my owners manual and sure enough they say to grease the hinges every 6 months. Anyone else have their (bushings) wear out or have a loose fitting door that doesn't seal properly? Seems to me that GM can make a better door hinge than that!!

my seals on driver side doors are coming unglued and there is a noticeable whistle during driving. I am going to try too reglue seals and ajust door so it closes tighter on seal too hopefully stop whistle. I agree doors are poorly fit.

I replace GM door bushing alot. Most of the reason for doing it is lack of lubercation. They should be lubed every oil change, but no one does it. Much of the wind noise is from the door being caught in the WIND. That springs the door, very common. I just did a 03 Full size truck Monday that had this problem.

To make your door fit tighter, it seems that moving the latch inward on the bottom of the ext door always helps.

Glueing the weather strip in is a No,no. They are not glues from the fatcory, they pinch onto the body. Just sqeeze the channel back togeather and reinstall.

Good Luck.
    2002 GMC...Dmax in Black of course..X-cab 4 by 4..<br />Goodmark Cowl Inducton Hood<br />Lund Screen front<br />Stainless nerf Bars<br />aux tank<br />Jardine 4\" Exhaust<br />and some more stuff

Heartbeat Hauler Guest

Does it matter what type of lube you use on the hinges, or can you give it a shot of WD40?
    JP

Use spray lithium lube..
    2002 GMC...Dmax in Black of course..X-cab 4 by 4..<br />Goodmark Cowl Inducton Hood<br />Lund Screen front<br />Stainless nerf Bars<br />aux tank<br />Jardine 4\" Exhaust<br />and some more stuff