Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Additives?

Cool

Shopman426
    Mike, shoot me your email address. Have met and talked with Sooty. We need to meet and talk shop!?!

Glen

olehoss@hotmail.com

------------------
    2002 CHEVY Silverado K2500HD LS XCab L/B AlliMax. Westin Nerfs, ProTech CabGuard, LINEX Bedliner w/Diamond Plate Bed Rails and TailGate Cover. TOYO A/T 265R75x16's on Alloy Wheels. Orygon Conestoga Puller!

Have any of you used the Lucas upper lube and injector cleaner? I have used it in Gas engines even though its for Diesels and had good luck with it, I can really tell a difference.

Question

Quick question,

I needed some starting fluid for my old Ford diesel backhoe. The only stuff they had said for gasoline engines only. Is their a difference?

Okay you guys have got me confused-

the comments -- My truck runs better than it ever did, etc... did your truck ever run crappy? What exactly are you noticing different?? I don't think there is anything wrong with the way my truck runs and can't seem to imagine it running any better than it does.
    Oh, maybe it has something to do with that "other fuel tank" we use to fill it up? my theory on this is- you truck only has 3k miles, exactly what is built up? Even with 30k miles, what is clogging what?
    someone please clarify- are you talking about "anti gel" stuff?

do I sound like a chick in this post or what?
    LOL
    --Brandy

OK Brandy,
    If your fuel is not the highest quality to begin with, boosting the cetane, (similar to octane rating of gasoline), seems to give better fuel mileage, smoother and quiter idle and better cold starts. Less noisy and little or no smoke during warm up. Where I am from it dosen't get very cold though.
    As far as actually cleaning anything, I don't know about that. Had an old Mercedes diesel that would pick up a knock sound when it's injectors got varnished up.

------------------
    2001 C3500 Charcoal Grey
    Putco Boss Boards
    Putco Virtual Grille
    Stainless Sill Protectors
    Stainless Exhaust Extension
    SPA DG-111 Boost/Pyrometer
    Whistler Radar Detector
    600 Watt Inverter
    Compaq Lap Top W/Moving Map
    250 Watt Texas Star Linear Amplifier
    Cobra 29 Classic CB Peaked W/Echo Card
    102" Steel Whip
    Cross Bed Aluminium Tool Box
    Catch All Mats

Thumbs down

I have been told not to run additives on the Dmax. A good friend of mine who happens to be GM mechanic finished a class on the Dmax a few weeks ago. He was told no additives are acceptable and a test kit for the fuel will be used from now on. They where instructed to test the fuel for additives before any drivability concerns would be addressed thus voiding warranty. I use the Total Power additive and will discontinue use until more info is available.
    I don't agree with it but warranty claims worry me. This maybe old info-thought I post it anyway I should also add that the additives are what GM is blaming the pump failures on.

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: trailguide2u ]</p>
    2002 Blue Dmax CC SB 6sp 4x4<br />255/85/16 Cooper ST<br />Prodigy Brake Controller<br />Speedliner<br />Lund Stainless Cold Front<br />Lund Interceptor Bug Shield<br />Amsoil front to back

As mentioned above, additives are what boost the cetane rating. Are they going to void warranties for running Premium Diesel? Dont think so. Put your FPPF in there ande go. Just stay away from Power Service type additives.... Alcohol = bad!
    2001 JUICED GMC 2500HD SLE AlliMax, Longbed, Ext. Cab, 4X4 Summit White, G80 Differential, Husky Liners, Black UWS Toolbox, Black Westin Nerfs, Black Replacement Front and Rear Bumper, Black Bedrail caps, Autopage 2 way LCD Alarm remote start,JL Audio, Hella, Cobra, ProComp Mud Terrains, Tekonsha Prodigy Controller, Fumoto, Rhino Liner, 400 Watt Inverter, Pioneer XM Radio<br />KENNEDY 4\" Exhaust. 100,000 miles on January 31,2003!!<br /><a href=\"http://home.att.net/~markstanco\" target=\"_blank\"><b>PHOTOS UPDATE 11/02</b></a><br /><br />Gutter Pipe is your friend. Leafblower is your enemy.

GM used to recommend Stanadyne additives when they had Stanadyne pumps in their trucks. The only reason they don't say anything now is its easier to say use no additive than test any additives for compatability. I have a hard time believing additives are the cause of pump failures. The whole point of any decent additive is to protect the fuel system by adding lubricity and removing water, not to kill the pump. The only possible issue I could see would be with the seals but I would think most if not all diesel additives would be compatible with the seals in modern engines. The seals are already pretty durable since they have to stand up to low-sulfur fuel which is very harsh on rubber.

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: Spoolin'It ]</p>
    2002 Chevy 2500HD D/A Ext Cab 4X4 LT Forest Green/Charcoal Leather.BFG All-Terrain KO 265/75/16\'s

Smile

A64,
    Are you back?
    2001 SLT DuraMax/Allison CC 4X4 SB White/Charcoal Valentine One, Bilsteins, Pendaliner, SPA Gauges Weatherguard mats, Kennedy headlight harness. Boston Accoustics speakers.Jordan Ultima. Edge Juice 4.61, Viper 790VX security w/remote start<p>2001 Sierra 3500 Duramax/Allison w/Knapheide service body.

I should of also added that the big GM concern was the pump seals failing due to additives.

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: trailguide2u ]</p>
    2002 Blue Dmax CC SB 6sp 4x4<br />255/85/16 Cooper ST<br />Prodigy Brake Controller<br />Speedliner<br />Lund Stainless Cold Front<br />Lund Interceptor Bug Shield<br />Amsoil front to back

Alli-Max -
    Would like to know more about the Power Service additive. I almost bought some - I didn't because there were no ingredients listed. How do you know it has alcohol in it ? Does the stuff work as advertised ?

Thanks,

Tim B.

I have used both FPPF and Power services as diesel fuel systems have needed lubricity supplementation with the lowering of the fuel sulpher levels, plus the wide variation of disel fuel quality from fair to poor. I have been testing Power Master 405 by Primrose and can attest that I have achieved noticeable difference in fuel *mileage*, which I have never experienced with other fuel additives. We broke our personal 20 mpg barrier with the 405. The 405 functions as a fuel lubricant, injector cleaner, anhydrant and cetane booster. We have been shipping free samples with cases of Delvac 1 engine oil ( http://www.avlube.com/ ) and the responses we have received so far are enthusiastically positive. The 405 is relatively inexpensive at $3.85 for a 12 ounce bottle which can treat up to 187 gallons of diesel fuel.
    George Morrison, STLE CLS
    George Morrison, STLE CLS<br />www.avlube.com e-mail avlube@netwalk.com<br />2002 Chev Duramax 2500HD, Delvac 1, Mobil 1 syn ATF, 75W-90<br />1998 Chev 3500HD 6.5TD, Delvac 1, Harvard 750S by-pass oil filter

I use Power Service and I like it. Haven't had a problem with the stuff yet. Although, I'm running a completely different rig. Stanadyne is also really good stuff. But any quality additive is worthwhile.
    I think that GM doesn't recommend using additives for a couple of reasons. Some are probably the same reasons that Dodge doesn't recommend additives either. The biggest reason is that people will use anything as an additive. Transmission fluid, engine oil, used oil, and on and on. All of these are not proper additives and can cause damage to the system and screw up the sensors on the truck. Not to mention the emissions issues. It's better to just tell people not to do it than to try to explain the right and the wrong of using an additive.
    If you are worried about it, keep this in mind. Buy your diesel from a station that moves alot of it. That way it stays fresh. You will have less problems that way.
    One final thought. Has anyone asked a truck stop operator how they winterize their diesel? I bet they do it with an additive.
    \'99 2500 ISB QC SLT (No Leather!),4x4,5sp w/McLeod,4:10,BP8x11\'s,B-1,FMS,EZ,PE4200,LPG,H2O/CH4O,4\"exh.,Pac-Brake,OBA,more switches than you,Line-X,V-1,lts,siren,lic. plt. frm says \"<b><i>Diesel Fumes Make Me Horny!</i></b>\",and much more goofy stuff.

I have an in the bed fuel tank which I generally use when towing my fiver. When I'm empty not all of the fuel in the tank has ben used so I worry about that small amount of diesel, probably less than a gallon, sloshing around that may be accumulating moisture. I want to use a diesel stabilizer to keep this residual fuel from becoming glue. What is the best stuff to use for this purpose?
    2001 GMC Extended Cab, Pewter (what else), SLT 3500 4X4 Duramax/Allison Line-X, Billet Grille, J&J stainless running boards, Snugtop Tonneau Cover, Striping by Bridge, Jordan 2020 brake controller, Ultra forged alum wheels, 30-gallon cross bed fuel-and-tool box.

Thumbs up

The best thing I've found for preventing the degradation of fuel in storage is Sta-Bil, which is available almost everywhere. Works with both gasoline and diesel. I have several machines which aren't run frequently, and Sta-Bil has kept residual fuel in these tanks fresh for months.
    2001 2500HD D/A CC/SB 4x4<br />A.R.E. Z-series topper, CA 75-series boards, Bedrug, Fumoto valve, Amsoil air filter, Jan \'02 PCM updates,Transfer Flow 50 gal. crossbed aux. fuel tank, Bilstein shocks, 25 ft. Tahoe Transport toybox (9.6K loaded), Hensley hitch, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller.

#1. There have been several mentions of alcohol=bad. I didn't think ANY of the DIESEL additives used alcohol.
    #2. I think the previous mentioned Power Service is what I use-came from WallyWorld. Earlier post I read praised it, but on this thread I see warning against it because of alcohol=bad. It is specifically marked for diesels and makes no mention of alcohol.
    #3. Does anyone actually know the TRUTH?
    <b>Otis Alford --EMAIL-- oalford@bellsouth.net<br />\'02 3500 LS ZF6 spd, LWB, CC, 4X4, Dark Carmine, tan interior; <br />Una-Goose Hitch, with Jordan 2020 Ultima brake controller, <br />(FREE from GM) Commercial H/D Adrian Aluminum tool box,<br />Amsoil 2 Stage Air Filter, Synthetic oil and Gear Lube, Fumoto valve, <br />Husky contoured floor liners, Bed X-tender, Rhino bedliner,<br />Putco SS BOSS cab/bed running boards, Lund SS hood/bug deflector,</b>

How's this for ya.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Dear Aron:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Power Service with your question. This is probably the most frequently asked question that we receive at Power Service. Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost does not contain any alcohol of any kind.

The one and only product manufactured by Power Service that contains the specific type of alcohol recommended by major engine manufacturers for removing water, is our Diesel 911.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you,

Mandy Kramer
    Power Service Products, Inc.
    mkramer@powerservice.com

This communication (including the contents and all attachments) is
    confidential and the proprietary information of Power Service and may
    not be disclosed to others, in whole or in part, without the prior written consent of Power Service Products, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 9:24 AM
    To: psp@powerservice.com
    Subject: Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost

Does this supplement contain any alcohol? There have been concerns in the past on the effects of alcohol on the newer diesel injection pumps.

Do any of your products contain alcohol and will they damage the HP injection pumps in newer diesel engines?

Please let me know when you can. Thank you very much.

Aron Howlett
    --------------------------------------------------
    There's your answer for you. No lies. No half-truths. No second-hand information. Right from the source, it is. I will continue to use the stuff and I highly recommend you use some sort of additive. You will like what it does for you.
    \'99 2500 ISB QC SLT (No Leather!),4x4,5sp w/McLeod,4:10,BP8x11\'s,B-1,FMS,EZ,PE4200,LPG,H2O/CH4O,4\"exh.,Pac-Brake,OBA,more switches than you,Line-X,V-1,lts,siren,lic. plt. frm says \"<b><i>Diesel Fumes Make Me Horny!</i></b>\",and much more goofy stuff.

Question

I also looked at Power Service , but because they do not indicate "NO ALCOHOL" on there containers i shyed away, why do they not do so?or is this to simple a solution?
    2001GMC 2500HD, SLT, D/A,4X4,EX CAB,SB,<br />Storm Grey/Graphite ,SS Back Country nerfs, 265/75/16 BFG TAs,Hewitt dual head EGT & Boost guage,Velvet ride,Amsoil Air Filter,<br />3M shield,Fumoto drain,6 head light mod.,lucerix mirrors, Husky mud flaps, 4\" exhaust, Juiced.<br />B.C.licence plate \"DURMAX\" . I can spell,but this Province only issues 6 letter plates.

Amianthus
    I appreciate the info. That pretty well answers my questions, thanks.
    <b>Otis Alford --EMAIL-- oalford@bellsouth.net<br />\'02 3500 LS ZF6 spd, LWB, CC, 4X4, Dark Carmine, tan interior; <br />Una-Goose Hitch, with Jordan 2020 Ultima brake controller, <br />(FREE from GM) Commercial H/D Adrian Aluminum tool box,<br />Amsoil 2 Stage Air Filter, Synthetic oil and Gear Lube, Fumoto valve, <br />Husky contoured floor liners, Bed X-tender, Rhino bedliner,<br />Putco SS BOSS cab/bed running boards, Lund SS hood/bug deflector,</b>

Is there anyone out there using Redline 85 Plus
    diesel additive?
    2002 2500 HD Duramax Diesel Crew Cab Short box 4x4<br /><br />OEM Running Boards, Hidden Hitch front end hitch, step covers, and driven like there is an egg under the gas pedal