Thread: Air Intake System

Question

New 2002 D/A 2500 CC. I noticed the air intake system has an opening in the bottom of it (bottom side of air box) that would seem to make it draw in hot air from the engine compartment. Appears it also had at one time a holie in the fender wall for a tube of some type for drawing outside air in. After doing some searching here I found that apparently there has been a change to the air box from 01 models to 02 models because of water, dirt, etc in the airbox . My question, should I pull off the foil piece that covers the hole in the fender (apparently it may come off anyway according to others [img]smile.gif[/img] ) or should I just leave it? Do systems like K&N, AirRaid, etc work effectly on diesel engines (like gassers?)Suggestions anyone ???

Thanks,

greg

Cool

I believe that there is some benefit to removing the foil. I have had more of a problem with water coming in from the top. To fix this I put a piece of black 200mph tape (duct tape) along the top of the airbox creating a seal between the fender and the airbox to channel any water away. Though the difference is almost unmeasurable many (including myself) have gone as far as to drill holes with a holesaw in the rest of the lower box to let in more air. If the factory box had that much restriction than the filter minder would be sucked in even if the filter was clean.

Hope this helps,
    John
    VOLUNTEER FIRECHIEF "Without COURAGE, all other virtues lose their meaning" Truck Info
    indigodually@hotmail.com
    Member # 7674
    Pulling many trailers including an '03 34' Montana 5'er adapted to G/N
    Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It...Then Sent It Back!

Greg I just bought a K&N intake kit for my dmax and will post results when I get it installed I would go ahead and take the foil off the fender cause like you said it will come off anyway and end up in your airbox.
    Forrest green Dmax crew cab,B&W turnover ball hitch,Drawtight activatorII brake controler,PPE\'s modified 120hp PCM,duramaximiser,K&N filter,front replacement winch bumper,warn HS9500i winch,285 dueler M/T\'s, see pics at <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/pullinpower01\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/pullinpower01</a> <br />02\'grizz 660