Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Filter Test Results

Processed the disel fuel source and "after the filter" today and the results were not good. The "after the filter" results showed double the amount of abrasive particulates compared with the pump fuel that went into the truck's tank! We either had a defective fuel filter or possibly a mis-seated filter. The fuel filter had a little over 8,000 miles on it and the fuel the truck has used is among the cleanest there is. A new fuel filter was installed this afternoon. The old filter was examined carefully and there were no readily apparent imperfections discernable.
    The Duramax will be driven for the weekend and then re-sampled early next week. We will post the results here for all to see..
    Continued.......
    George Morrison, STLE CLS
    George Morrison, STLE CLS<br />www.avlube.com e-mail avlube@netwalk.com<br />2002 Chev Duramax 2500HD, Delvac 1, Mobil 1 syn ATF, 75W-90<br />1998 Chev 3500HD 6.5TD, Delvac 1, Harvard 750S by-pass oil filter

george,

First of all I want to thank you for doing this testing. It looks like it's not something any of us could do properly.

Sounds like possibly the filter media itself is contaminating the fuel? Fibers? Where else could the particulate come from?

Kennedy Guest

George,

Dennis, (the filter mfr you referred to me) has some sample data that he fwd, but I have yet to talk with him...

george morrison

originaly posted under "fuel filter replacement"

[if this filter is installed improperly ("O" ring rollover, etc.)fuel, as with water, will always find the easiest way through a channel which translates into just what our analysis indicates:]

The "O" ring roll over confused me, are you refering to one of the two "O" rings on the out side of the fuel canister or that large internal ring in the center of the fuel canister.

If you could expand on this subject it would be much appreciated
    GMC 2002 DURAMAX, SLT, EXCAB SHORT BOX 2500HD, 4X4, AUTO
    ACCESS TONNEAU COVER, 3" STAINLESS TUBE STEPS
    JORDAN BRAKE CONTROLLER
    34ft 10,000 lb TRAILER, 50 GAL TRANSFERE FLOW TANK (total 76 gals)

Regarding the "0" rings. The internal '0' ring specifically; however, the removed fuel filter '0' ring looked fine. All of the 0 rings were closely examined and did not reveal any cuts, roll-over or reason for by-pass.
    Fuel filters are constructed by human beings (except for the CAT fuel/oil filters which are totally robotically manufactured and incredibly flawless) and can have an occasional mis-build and I mentioned previously, if there is a hole or poor glue, the fuel will find its way through.
    We will just have to wait until the end of next week for another analysis result.
    I forwarded the results to Jim/Diesel Page for posting..
    Again, if anyone else cares to do a before and after fuel test, please contact me as I would be most happy to provide the fuel analysis kits for another test project before/after sample.
    George Morrison, STLE CLS<br />www.avlube.com e-mail avlube@netwalk.com<br />2002 Chev Duramax 2500HD, Delvac 1, Mobil 1 syn ATF, 75W-90<br />1998 Chev 3500HD 6.5TD, Delvac 1, Harvard 750S by-pass oil filter

George,

If in fact you find out there is dirty fuel reaching the injectors, what can be done about it? Is there a real world fix?

Greg, suggest adding a Racor 2 micron filter unit along side your frame between the tank and OEM filter.

John, is working on a filter fix of his own.

Baldwin makes a OEM replacement filter that is suppose to filter quite well. I am waiting on there feedback on the micron rating and efficiency.

Is there a solution now? My injectors are wearing away as we speak!!

Thanks for doing the test too!!
    Todd Eldridge<br />2002 2500HD Crew 4x4 zf 6sp<br />Stanadyne FM-100 additional fuel filter<br />Flo-Pro Muffler<br />Summit White <br />Fender flares painted to match<br />GMC side molding<br />SS Nerf Bars<br />e-mail todd.eldridge@cnet.navy.mil

Regarding a 'real world'fix. One of the fellows on the 6.5 site portion ran a 'before and after' on a Racor "S" series and it was indeed a 2 micron 98% efficient filter, very similar in performance to the new CAT high performance 2 micron absolute filters. Our OEM Duramax is 'supposedly' the same filter medium, same performance level. This is what does NOT make sense with our first test..
    If the OEM filter does not meet the 2 micron absolute performance level, we will source one that will!
    It is absolutely imperative that we have a filter capable of 2 micron 98% efficiency as we need to minimze the 5 to 10 micron component. This is the particle size that creates high wear in our pump and injectors.
    The fuel analysis that we are doing actually counts and calculates the number of particles per gallon for each size range from 2 microns to 5 microns to 15 microns, very accurately.
    Plus it computes the amount of water being carried in the fuel in parts per million, so one knows exactly how much water is present, not a vague percentage.
    We will now have to wait until Thursday or Friday for the second run fuel analysis reseult to be complete.

jbplock Guest

Todd,

I wrote to Baldwin Tech support asking for nominal and absolute Beta specs on their BF7727 fuel filter for the Duramax and they quoted "2 micron nominal". Nominal is the Beta=2, 50% efficiency (filters 50% of 2-micron particles). They did not quote an absolute spec. So, if the RACOR is really 2 micron absolute, it would be better … at least on paper.

hapaschold Guest

-thank you george for your efforts, will be watching for more information on this

Kennedy Guest

Keep in mind that the lack of a lift pump will require a free flowing filter. A super fine filter as proposed can/will restrict flow and fill up quickly UNLESS it is adequately sized. The solution wil not be petite or pretty, but WILL be effective and low maintenance.

The ultra fine fuel filter restriction aspect is most interesting in that many times one can change from a 20 micron 50% efficiency to a 3 micron absolute rating and yet achieve a reduction in restriction AND greatly increased filter capacity enabling the ultra fine filter to actually last longer than the coarse filter. It sounds impossible but with the introduction of the new synthetic or micro-glass filters, filter efficiencies have been greatly increased.
    Old tecnology paper/cellulose filters, due to the methodology of making paper, is a very inexact science. When a 'tight' filter was needed, say a 10 micron absolute, due to the manufacturing imperfrection of paper, sometimes as much as half a filter surface would be completely closed to enable a 10 micron rating! With the new 'manufactured' elements, the syntheteic or glass medium is made with 10 micron spacing throughout the medium, enabling 100% of the filter to flow oil.
    I have replaced many 20 micron cellulose Beta 75 (50% efficient) filters with 3 micron synthetic media beta 200 (98% efficient) in hydraulic systems and had the filter life double over the cellulose.
    The same is true with the Mobil Delvac synthetic media oil filters. They will easily go 50,000 to 75,000 miles between changes on the same over the road trucks that previously were changed at 10,000 to 20,000 miles. Yet the Delvac filter is a 10 micron beta 200 vs. the 30 micron beta 75 for the paper oil filter element.
    We saw the same thing on our current VW TDI program to replace the paper fuel element (which is a 2 micron 50% efficient) with a CAT 2 micron 98% efficient. The OEM VW paper fuel filter drew over 8 inches vacuum requirement, while the CAT element was 2 inches vacuum.
    Thus we have the possibility of replacing an OEM paper element with a synthetic or micro-glass element that will filter better, have less restriction and last longer!

LanduytG Guest

George
    I will try and get some suction test results with the 2 Micron filter this week.
    Greg

Does Racor make a OEM replacement filter that has the qualities we need.

I buy my filters from John and they are Racor brand called Interceptor. What are ratings on this filter?

Ya'll have me scared to death about my injectors. I plan to keep this truck for ten years.

Thanks for all the info guys!!
    Todd Eldridge<br />2002 2500HD Crew 4x4 zf 6sp<br />Stanadyne FM-100 additional fuel filter<br />Flo-Pro Muffler<br />Summit White <br />Fender flares painted to match<br />GMC side molding<br />SS Nerf Bars<br />e-mail todd.eldridge@cnet.navy.mil

YZF1R Guest

George: Thank you for the effort you are putting into this extremely important topic. I will be owning this truck for well over 15 years. 5 to 10 yr.. from now I do not want nor can I afford visits to the dealer for injectors, a pump, or anything that is going to get into the thousands to repair. I am very interested in the work you are doing for us. I don't speak up very often here, but believe me I read everything in this thread. I am sure their are many others like myself that really appreciate this. I just wanted to say thanks from all of us silent members out here.

I also thought about what JK brought up, but never thought about the results you get with a high quality low micron filter like Caterpillar, actually lasting longer.

Once again, thanks big time,
    Steve

LanduytG Guest

I have the Racor 2 micron on my 6.5TD and it is doing a great job. Not sur ejust how much restriction is there but I plan to find out this week. From other tests i have seen on other sights the restriction is actually less as George stated. Winter time might be a problem but the Racor is available with a heater and thats what I have.
    Greg

LanduytG Guest

If you get a filter that will mount to the frame and not stick below the frame it will have at least a 60gph rating. What would be the very most the Duramax under full load full throttle would draw? I can't think that it would be more than 10 or 12gph would it? If so you would be using a 60gph filter and it only has a pressure drop of .05 psi at full load, now that is not much restriction and if you are only using 20% of its capacity then restriction is almost nothing. Even if you had to install a lift pump it would be better than a few thousand dollars for new injectors. SOme of you need to do the fuel analysis and see just what you are buying, I think you will be disappointed. My fuel here is good quality fuel but its really dirty stuff. I plan to pull the injectors out of my TDI and 6.5 to see what shape they are in. Both only have 50K miles on them but I have been burning this dirty fuel for over half that time. George can tell you stories of injectors that only lasted 12-14K miles under those type of conditions. Of coourse this was on high pressure systems like the Duramax.

Greg

In talking with a Racor engineer last week, our Bosch pump is consertavitely rated 60 inches! Our current OEM filter draws less than 8 inches, so an additional filter is no problem; in fact GM is currently working on a primary to put in between the present filter and the tank. What do you think that is telling us
    It can therefore easily handle a both a primary and secondary fuel filter, especially if one or both are synthetic or microglass media. Moreover, if it is 'clean' fuel that the pump is processing, THAT is the key to both pump and injector life. i.e. if the pump has twice the load, if the fuel is ultra-clean, the increased load is much better than processing dirty fuel at half the load..

Okay boys

I'm on board here.
    Who's going to build a kit to add a additional higher quality filter to the Duramax trucks. I'm buying as soon as it's announced.

Greg/JK who's build it??

How I wish we could post photos on this site! I have some incredible scanning electron micriscope photos of failed injectors at 95,000 miles; totally, completely destroyed. Due to dirt. Current diesel fuel regulations are for 1980 3,000 psi diesel fuel systems in which injector replacements were $28 each. Our current 30,000 psi fuel systems require ultra clean fuel to live. To meet current federal #2 diesel fuel standards, diesel fuel is only filtered to 30 microns when it leaves the refinery. The 7 micron particle is the Duramax fuel system killer. This is why CAT switched from a 20 micron nominal to a 2 micron absolute fuel filter for its Hueiu engines 2 years ago. Their fuel pumps and injectors were not lasting through warranty and the replacement costs were costing CAT millions of dollars until CAT switched to the new ultra fine filtration medium.
    Continued....

Well now I'm curious. Does anyone know how good the filters are on the Dodge and Ford diesels ? Do they have the same potential problems that we do ?

Tim B.