Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pin removal from ECM

Question

Okay, I am working on the high idle switch. I have decided that there must be something wrong with, the wire, the pin or the solder joint to it. I bought extra pins just in case, so I was going to run a new wire and pin. Now, I can't seem to get the darn thing out. Anyone have an idea? For something that is supposed to be simple, I sure am fighting it really hard.
    Thanks,
    02 2500HD LT Dmax/Alli CC 4x4 Lt Pewter, Tan in, Amsoil, transynd, Bilsteins, Amsoil Air Filt, JK 4\" Exht, RollnLock, Rhino Liner, Remote start, alarm, High Idle, SPA DG211, Pred, Mega, Fumoto, Remote oil bypass, XL Tranny cooler, XM, Cell kit

Kennedy Guest

The little plastic pin aligner "fingers" actually "barb" the pins in place once inserted. Are you certain the pin went COMPLETELY in?

JK,

I am pretty sure. It was all the way down with the other pins and I couldn't pull it out. This just doesn't make any sense that I get nothing if I am getting voltage at the pin.

Regards,
    02 2500HD LT Dmax/Alli CC 4x4 Lt Pewter, Tan in, Amsoil, transynd, Bilsteins, Amsoil Air Filt, JK 4\" Exht, RollnLock, Rhino Liner, Remote start, alarm, High Idle, SPA DG211, Pred, Mega, Fumoto, Remote oil bypass, XL Tranny cooler, XM, Cell kit

Kennedy Guest

In order to install/release the pins, the translucent cover should be removed. This will allow the "fingers" or tabs to be spread and allow the pin to pass.

mdrag Guest

Cool

Chris,

What type of switch are you using for the ECM & 12V wires? Have you checked the switch itself for proper operation? Not meaning to be a smarta$$, but you are connecting the high idle terminal to the ECM and not the TCM correct?

mdrag

[ 10-29-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

JK,

Thanks for the info. Hope I don't need it.

Mdrag,

I am using a 12V automotive SPST switch with LED when the load side is powered. I checked it with a DMM and it seems good. I had to remove the TCM to get to the ECM. I am glad it has Allison on the case or I might have done just what you are saying. (No offense taken, sometimes it is the simple answer.) I had the instructions right in front of me and double and triple checked. Don't want to spring for a new ECM or TCM. I guess I could do a continuity check from the pin to the switch and verify the line is good. If it's not, then try and pull off the blue cover and get the pin out and put in a new line. Would adding some dielectric grease help out the contact on the pin? I always thought dielectric means does not conduct. It looks like the hole in the pin is larger than the existing, but I verified I have the correct part number. That's why I am worried about the actual pin to post connection. Thoughts?

[ 10-29-2002: Message edited by: chuntag95 (Chris) ]</p>

Kennedy Guest

Hey Chris,

Elementary issue here. WAIT for a few seconds for things to work themselves out.

Note: there is NO standby rpm, and I quite often need to wait up to 2 minutes for it to engage. Basically, switch it on and push the set button, then wait...

mdrag Guest

Cool

Chris,

It sounds like you've checked/double checked most everything. Checking the wire for continuity is a good idea, and consider trying a simple toggle switch instead of your LED lighted switch.

I did NOT notice that the added terminal was any different than the existing ones when I did mine, and if the terminal is not making good contact dielectric grease won't correct it. Could it be that you ordered the correct terminal and received the wrong one? Consider checking to see if your dealer has another terminalin stock to compare.

One other thought on this - could it be that your truck needs to be programmed with the TECH2 for the high idle to work? I don't recall this happening before...

Good luck, I hope you get this figured out.

mdrag

ON EDIT: Kennedy has a good point. On my '01, I seldom have to wait more than a few seconds for the high idle to kick on in the lowest setting - but the two higher speeds can be delayed.

[ 10-29-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

JK and Mdrag,

When I was working on it last night, I gave it 30 seconds or so to respond. I will try giving it a couple of minutes. That will be a long wait. I have some extra pins already. The numbers I saw were in hoots instructions GM#12084913. I got 4 of them just in case. I also got for of the ones with the same number except the last digit is a 2 instead of a 3. They look the same except the tabs on the wire end are longer, I guess for bigger wires. I have a simple toggle that I can put on as well. At this point I will try about anything.

Thanks again for the input,

Here's another one for ya. I have to push my set button twice before the high idle kicks in. Usually there isn't much of a lag time betwenn the second button push and idle kick. Give it a shot, who knows. Sounds like you have done everything right if you followed the destructions.
    TDPmember#6216 <a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/akdmax\" target=\"_blank\"><b>My Pics</b></a><br />2002 Storm Gray CC SLE, D-max/Alli, Retrax bed cover, J&J Millenium boards and mud flaps, Weathertech weatherflectors, Catch-All liners, MITO DVD, Panasonic LA95, High Idle, Hard wired radar detector, lightforce 240blitz driving lights.<i> <a href=\"mailto:akdmax@hotmail.com\">akdmax@hotmail. com</a> </i>

Thumbs down

No High Idle 1 - Chris 0
    Okay, I removed the switch and checked the voltage at the pin. 14 Volts. I push the set button and wait 5 minutes. Nothing. I push the set button twice and wait 5 minutes. Nothing. I push the resume button and the engine bogs down, the battery light flashes for just a second and then the idle returns to normal.
    I pull the connector, make up a new pin and wire and install. (Thanks for the tip on the blue cover JK.) Now I get the bog when I hit the set button twice or the resume. I have to take it in due to the pulsing idle, so I will ask the tech to program it for high idle while he's got it.
    I have an auto xray scanner. Can it see the PTO set up parameter or just the Tech II?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Maverick Guest

Are you positive you are in C71 ? Sounds like maybe you are plugged into another port. These are the other pins that are used with a factory installed PTO.

Pin 71--Lt GRN--PTO enable switch
    Pin 56--Lt BLU--Engine shutdown signal
    Pin 13--Yellow--PTO status (feedback)
    Pin 37--PPL--PTO relay engage

Pin # 12191489

[ 10-30-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

Mav,
    Yes, I am sure. I have checked that 4 times at least. I also got out my manual and made sure I was on C1. I have a scanner, so just for fun I pluged it in. One of the 9 items I can look at is Power Take off. It says it is not active. I don't know if that means it needs to be programed or if it means there is not power to pin 71. I guess if I get some time, I will hook the power back up and check out what the scanner says then. I was hoping I could see the set up but like I said, there were only 9 parameters that it showed. I had 30 or so on my wife Expedition.
    Any scanner savy people got any input?

Maverick Guest

Check out this link

https://www.gmupfitter.com/secure/ht...ull/bull53.pdf

I would print this off and keep for future ref. Lots of info that may help you now. It is 28 pages. Thanks Mdrag.

I also noticed the part # is different for the pin. I got this number: 12191489 This may be the number for the 80 pack of pins and not an individual one. Can someone confirm?

[ 10-29-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

I saved it in my ever growing folder of truck manuals. I also printed it to take to the stealer so they don't have to look it up and use their paper. Maybe they won't charge me since I will have it in for idle issues.

Mav,

I just noticed the list of pins. The actual pin I used was not the number you gave, but it was snug and fit. Now, about the pinout, from what you have
    Pin 71--Lt BLU--PTO engine shutdown signal - This is where I am applying the 14 volts. Is that wrong?
    Pin 22--Lt GRN--PTO enable switch - Is this where I should be applying the voltage?
    Pin 31--Dk GRN--High idle switch signal - Same as set button on cruise control?
    Pin 52--Yellow--PTO status (feedback) - What type of signal is this? Does it light up an LED or is it an analog voltage or what?
    Pin 78--PPL--PTO relay engage - Don't have one, so don't need to engage it.

Where did you get all of this, from the schematic in that file? I really want to get this working, but seem to be at a dead end.

Thanks,

Mav,

You listed the pins for the 8.1 L gasser. Whew! I thought I had really screwed up there for a minute. What I did "should" enable the high idle, but it doesn't. I wish I had someone with a Tech 2 around. Okay, I searched for the part number you gave and couldn't find it on a couple different sites, so I can't tell you if it's good, but it appears not to be. I did go out and hook up my scanner and the power take off is flickering between enabled and not enabled. I even hooked up straight to the battery with no change. That is the problem, but it is too late to pull the connector and change out the pin tonight. I will try again tomorrow and use the scanner to monitor. If I can stop it from changing it's mind, I think I have it whipped.

Kennedy Guest

You know mine went through a spell like you describe, but I cannot remember what it was. I changed pins etc. Can't seem to remember how I resolved it though May well have been in the ECM programming for PTO. IIRC it had to do with the relay set positions...

JK,

I will look, but I didn't think I would have a relay since I can't have a PTO on a 2500 or are you talking about the ECM programming? I edited my earlier post as I used my scanner and the PTO is flickering between not enabled and enabled. It's like it can't make up it's mind. I will change pins tomorrow and use the scanner to monitor what's up. If it still is doing it with a different pin, I guess I will give until I can get to the dealer and have them program it. If you remember how you fixed it PLEASE let me know. My email is my id without the Chris in parenthesis at attbi dot com.

Thanks again,

Just a question, are all of the ECM pin locations numbered like mine, i.e. molded into the housing? Or is this an extra feature they provide for us Aggies?