Thread: Belt tensioner shot.

Question

My serpentine belt tensioner is wobbly and starting to sing a little. 26,000 miles. I heard the revised it for 2002. Will I get a new style when I go in for warranty? Or is it the whole front accessory mounting that has to be changed.

Hoot,
    I don't have the answer but would appreciate knowing what you find out.

Good luck,
    Bob
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A, CC/SB,<br />Olympic White, *Manik SS brush guard and nerfs, *Hella driving lamps, Velvet rides, *HD Air Lifts and Compressor, *Snugtop bed cover, *Linex, *Yakima rails on cover (mt.bikes), *Amsoil 2 stage airfilter. *Pioneer XM Radio. *SUBSTANTIALLY upgraded speakers,<br />Amp and Sub. *One piece drive shaft. *Mag-Hytec diff.cover, <br />*43 gal across the bed aux.tank (American Tank), *Lucerix pwr / heated mirrors, *Allison deep pan and transyd, *Street Pilot III GPS. *Suburban-type lighted <br />double sun visors, homelink system,steering wheel stereo controls, *Kennedy

Kennedy Guest

From what Ive seen, there were some major revisions to the alternator mount etc so I would think a simple upgrade swap would NOT be practical. I could be wrong...

Maverick Guest

Mine was shot and was replaced at 53,000 miles. It was not covered under the engine warranty. The tensioner and a new belt was $70 bucks. The deductable on the engine warranty is $100 anyway. Looks the same as the old one.

Hoot,

If there is an updated tension puller I'm sure you would get it unless it required additional improvements that are 02 design changes. Unless you stirred up a dust storm...LOL Just open up that cooking gas tank and the'll think you PHARTED and want to get you out of there to clear the air.LOL

Hay you better leave DUKE alone in the WAR room someday you're gonna make him want to go swinging on a rope in a dark closet. If you know what I mean.....

By the way My Allison is taking the "JUICE" very, very well.....So am I...Shifting is very clean.....Let my friend drive it (who owns a D/A 3500) very impressed...... No out of the ordinary tranny temp changes, or shifts.......Nice set-up....Doesn't smell either. LOL Just like to toss you a dig.....
    Take care MAC..........

do not believe you can change to new design. Replacing belt tensioner is now big deal anyway. With old design it is easy to get at
    01 2500HD LS 4x4 D/A Ext Cab Short Box, Charcoal Gray, Linex, Snow Plow, Denali dash bezel<br />4x4 light that now works!<br />Under seat storage bin (paid $31.75), Bilstein shocks, Timbren front springs

The belt tensioner went out on my old 2001 just befor I traded it off @ 32000 miles. Did they upgrade this on the 2002's?
    Cheers
    Bear
    Summit white 2002 Chev 3500 LT 4X4 CC Dmax, Outback stainless steel bushguard, KC Daylighter titanium offroad lights,110 gal. auxellery fuel tank / tool box combo, Lund bug deflector,DeeZee stainless steel grill insert, Dee Zee stainless running boards, Husky front and rear floor mats, Wabasto diesel fired heater, Juice 4.61, Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors, BD Exhaust Brake,Prodigy Brake Controller, BD X-Monitor, Kennedy Diesel light harness, Bilstiens shocks Alcoa Hot Shots with Michilin 235-85R16 LTX AT. pull a 30.5 ft Avion Westport 5th wheel trailer and a 2000 18FT Tahoe Fish and ski boat with a 4.3Lt LX in tandem, many more toys to come

My belt tensioner went out at 27,000 miles as well. When the engine was cold it would squeak bad and I scheduled an appointment to get the tensioner replaced because I could see it hopping. Of course they had to diagnos the problem themselfs, the order one, then fix the problem. They didn't replace the belt at the same time, and it was all dried up and cracked from slipping, so the squeak didn't go away until I scheduled another apointment etc. I've got 33,000 miles now and the cold squeak is back. Kinda sucks, I'd love to find a better fix.
    2001 Chevy 2500HD D-max+Ali Crew Cab S/b White, 6\" lift/ 35\" BFG MT\'s, Air Ride HD\'s, Firestone compressor, True-Speed, Juiced, One piece driveshaft, FOX SHOX 2.0 remote resevoir race shox<br />2002 YZ250F<br />2001 MBA 125 Shifter Kart<br />72\' CJ-5 Jeep