Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What does it honestly take to run a 14.0 with a Duramax?

Originally posted by BigDog1:
    apilot
    I still don,t get the big deal with drag racing your truck for time? Most kids get over this by 19 or 20! Tell me, do you spin the rear tires on your truck to impress your friends? I say stay stock and enjoy!
    Well, I'm 43 and both me and my wife dragrace as a hobby. I used to desert race, and drag bikes as well. I also AutoX. I've been racing since 1975. Hopping up tow vehicles has been a tradition at the track since they first started towing their cars.

I don't spin the tires on the Van to show-off, but I do slide it around corners and have been 70mph on dirt fireroads in it. Many a hapless hunter has refused to get in a truck with me after their first ride.

You should go to the track once and check it out. It's good clean American fun.
    Tuner of fast "diesel" powered trucks, www.McRatRacing.com

2005 GMC 2500HD "Casper" 11.77 @ 114.5 on #2. 674rwhp, 1380tq. EFILive "McRat" tuning, Mike L Suncoast, PPE Dual CP3's, HighTechTurbo "McRat" charger.
    2004.5 GMC 3500 "Big Blue" 13.1 @ 103 on #2. PPE Tuned, Mike L Suncoast Trans.
    2006 GMC 2500HD "Wendy" 13.9@96 on #2, PPE tuning, Mike L Suncoast trans.

Dog,
    If you want to stay stock that's fine. Freedom of choice is one reason I'm proud to be an american. There must be many people that don't want to stay stock or there wouldn't be so many aftermarket parts. No I don't spin my tires for my friends, never had the truck on a track, too heavy for that. I mainly enjoy the fact that I can if I want to. Last year I put a NO2 system on the old Camaro LT1 because the old lady's new SS LS1 would eat it's lunch. I'm still on the original bottle. Hardly ever use it, but I can if I want too
    Better mouse trap is probably a good analogy. Besides it's My money I'll spend it however I want too. Tinkering is fun to me, some people enjoy buying lottery tickets. I think ther'e wasting their money, I'll even tease friends about it, but, bottom line, it's their money and if it brings them enjoyment, then maybe it's money well spent after all.
    2001 C3500 Charcoal Grey, Lotsa Putco stainless stuff, CB with 250 watt amp, TST Competition box, 600 watt inverter

a64pilot
    If you want to go that route, ok! By the looks of your profile I see that you are a Military Pilot? Is this true or are you just a Crewchief (mechanic) that wants to fly? Why do you not get some JetA from work and see if that helps! I still say stock is best!! The life of your engine will suffer!!!!

[ 08-20-2003, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: BigDog1 ]
    The Dog

I agree with BigDog...stay stock! I will like my truck better if it is exactly like every other pewter CC D/A driving down the road. I am going to start my restoration today!!!

I'll check 'em off as they get restored...

Truck Mod 1 - K&N Air Charger
    Truck Mod 2 - Westin Nerf Bars
    Truck Mod 3 - Tahoe Carpet Floor Mats
    Truck Mod 4 - Front Windows Tinted
    Truck Mod 5 - Rhino Spray-in Bed Liner
    Truck Mod 6 - 285/75r16 BFG AT KO
    Truck Mod 7 - OEM Bed Caps
    Truck Mod 8 - Automatic Headlight Override
    Truck Mod 9 - Pro Comp Pre-runner and "Rolling Daylight"
    Truck Mod 10 - Fog Light Controller
    Truck Mod 11 - Homelink
    Truck Mod 12 - Fumoto Valve
    Truck Mod 13 - GPS Mount
    Truck Mod 14 - Invinca-Shield
    Truck Mod 15 - Painted Grill Bowtie Lt. Pewter
    Truck Mod 16 - Custom Fog Light Brace
    Truck Mod 17 - Orange DRL's
    Truck Mod 18 - Custom Paint under the hood
    Truck Mod 19 - Rims...Weld Outbacks
    Truck Mod 20 - 38 watt fog light bulbs
    Truck Mod 21 - Valentine-1 Radar Detector (hard wired)
    Truck Mod 22 - Rancho Steering Stabilizer
    Truck Mod 23 - Dynomax muffler
    Truck Mod 24 - Outerwears for K&N
    Truck Mod 25 - Stereo Upgrade
    Truck Mod 26 - Rancho RS9000 Shocks
    Truck Mod 27 - Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Control
    Truck Mod 28 - Velvet Ride Shackles
    Truck Mod 29 - Allison Cooler Scoop
    Truck Mod 30 - Dynamat in doors
    Truck Mod 31 - B&W Turnover Ball
    Truck Mod 32 - Pillar Gauges
    Truck Mod 33 - Sylvania Silverstars
    Truck Mod 34 - Unleashed power...Quadzilla Power
    Steve (Member #6089)<br /><a href=\"mailto:smbrown819@yahoo.com\">smbrown819@ya hoo.com</a><br />2002 LT 2500HD 4WD Crewcab Pewter/Graphite DuraMax/Allison<br /><a href=\"http://www.monkey.net/steve\" target=\"_blank\">(Mods and Miscellaneous Pics...Updated 08/10/03)</a>

hey bmdmax welcome to the no slippin 5th club
    2002 CHEVY 2500HD CC SB D/A 4X4<br />COMP/JUICE 4.61 PREDATOR 1.04 <br />BANKS 4\"EXHAUST<br />SUNCOAST PROLOC TRIPLEDISC TORQUE CONVERTOR & CLUTCH PACK UPGRADE<br />AFE STAGE 2<br />POWERSHOT 2000 PROPANE INJECTION<br />DVGAMBLE@BELLSOUTH.NET

BMDMAX Guest

Cool

You know it Super Dave! The only slippin and bangin I got goin on is......Um, well let's just say its not my tranny.

Talking

Come on, Silver Bullet, don't lie!

By the time you get down to #34, you're gonna be so bored you'll put it all back on again!

Regards, Steve (Totally stock)

SoCal,

You are correct, sir! I had the thing about 1/2 restored last night and decided I just didn't like it as much, so I put it all back on!!

I even have one more mod lined up...adjustable wastegate...like the Bighead, but for a fraction of the price. After that I would say I have caught Mdrag...no more mods on the wish list!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Steve (Member #6089)<br /><a href=\"mailto:smbrown819@yahoo.com\">smbrown819@ya hoo.com</a><br />2002 LT 2500HD 4WD Crewcab Pewter/Graphite DuraMax/Allison<br /><a href=\"http://www.monkey.net/steve\" target=\"_blank\">(Mods and Miscellaneous Pics...Updated 08/10/03)</a>

stock??? isnt that what they call a truck gm forgot to add all the cool stuff to???
    ratlover I pass the torch you may be the youngest member with a dmax ill be 23 end of august.
    <a href=\"http://www.EGServicecompany.com/chev\" target=\"_blank\">My 2002 D/A 3500 CC LT</a>

so whats next Aggie boy? Other than my Longhorns whipping your ARSE!!

You need.... you need...... PROPANE.
    2001 JUICED GMC 2500HD SLE AlliMax, Longbed, Ext. Cab, 4X4 Summit White, G80 Differential, Husky Liners, Black UWS Toolbox, Black Westin Nerfs, Black Replacement Front and Rear Bumper, Black Bedrail caps, Autopage 2 way LCD Alarm remote start,JL Audio, Hella, Cobra, ProComp Mud Terrains, Tekonsha Prodigy Controller, Fumoto, Rhino Liner, 400 Watt Inverter, Pioneer XM Radio<br />KENNEDY 4\" Exhaust. 100,000 miles on January 31,2003!!<br /><a href=\"http://home.att.net/~markstanco\" target=\"_blank\"><b>PHOTOS UPDATE 11/02</b></a><br /><br />Gutter Pipe is your friend. Leafblower is your enemy.

Dog,
    Tried posting a reply yesterday, but it wouldn't post or let me on the BB again, is it just me or has the BB had problems lately?
    Anyway what have I said or done that got you going? Of course engine life will suffer, drive train as well. I don't know maybe it will go from a 400,000 mile life to a 200,000 mile life or something. The old Z28 I speak of currently has 150,000 miles on it and has been run hard. I burnt a rear end and tranny out in three years on the Autobahn around Frankfurt. Engine runs strong and uses no oil. IMHO prevantitive maintenance is more important to a long life of an engine / drivetrain than hot rodding.
    Jet A is basically kerosene, very similar to pure winter Diesel, as such it's BTU output, (specific heat it may be called but I'm not sure) is less than #2. Therefore you would get lower fuel mileage and less power than from regular Diesel. You wouldn't need a fuel heater in your filter though. Jet A is a very dry fuel, I don't think it would be very good for injectors.
    As to what I do. I'm a retired military test pilot with 3,000 + hours in the AH-64 A&D. I currently work as a contract maintenance test pilot at the test activity at Ft. Rucker al. I did start my military career as a crew chief (something I'm proud of BTW) and am one of the very few test pilots that has his A&P liscense.
    What do you do for a living?
    2001 C3500 Charcoal Grey, Lotsa Putco stainless stuff, CB with 250 watt amp, TST Competition box, 600 watt inverter

Thumbs up

Alli,
    Adjustable wastegate...it is the last item on the list...I have the parts, but just have not installed.

Damn T-sips...GIG EM!!!

Originally posted by BigDog1:
    apilot
    I still don,t get the big deal with drag racing your truck for time? Most kids get over this by 19 or 20! Tell me, do you spin the rear tires on your truck to impress your friends? I say stay stock and enjoy!

Dog, did you just crawl out from under a rock???

Most NHRA drivers are well into their late 30's 40's and 50's.

Why is it when some people don
    2003 GMC Sierra D/A 2500HD CC 4x4 Carbon Metallic
    K&N
    285/75R Bridgestone REVO's
    Kennedy 4" Exhaust
    Zaino Polish CB WESTIN STEPS
    MY PICTURES

apilot
    I am very impressed (if you are telling the truth about being a Test Pilot). What do you test? I think the Army makes you do things "By the book", is this still true? If what I have been told about Army Test pilots is correct, you just get to make sure they fly ok after repair! As far as what I do, I manage over 20K acres of the finest farmland Georgia has to offer. We are mostly into Peanuts with some cotton this year! I'll tell you! This old farm boy could teach you a thing or two about basic mechanics and long term reliability. I hope those helicopters don't get your tender loving upgrades to enhance their performance!!
    The Dog

Originally posted by Silver Bullet:
    I agree with BigDog...stay stock! I will like my truck better if it is exactly like every other pewter CC D/A driving down the road. I am going to start my restoration today!!!

I'll check 'em off as they get restored...

Truck Mod 1 - K&N Air Charger
    Truck Mod 2 - Westin Nerf Bars
    Truck Mod 3 - Tahoe Carpet Floor Mats
    Truck Mod 4 - Front Windows Tinted
    Truck Mod 5 - Rhino Spray-in Bed Liner
    Truck Mod 6 - 285/75r16 BFG AT KO
    Truck Mod 7 - OEM Bed Caps
    Truck Mod 8 - Automatic Headlight Override
    Truck Mod 9 - Pro Comp Pre-runner and "Rolling Daylight"
    Truck Mod 10 - Fog Light Controller
    Truck Mod 11 - Homelink
    Truck Mod 12 - Fumoto Valve
    Truck Mod 13 - GPS Mount
    Truck Mod 14 - Invinca-Shield
    Truck Mod 15 - Painted Grill Bowtie Lt. Pewter
    Truck Mod 16 - Custom Fog Light Brace
    Truck Mod 17 - Orange DRL's
    Truck Mod 18 - Custom Paint under the hood
    Truck Mod 19 - Rims...Weld Outbacks
    Truck Mod 20 - 38 watt fog light bulbs
    Truck Mod 21 - Valentine-1 Radar Detector (hard wired)
    Truck Mod 22 - Rancho Steering Stabilizer
    Truck Mod 23 - Dynomax muffler
    Truck Mod 24 - Outerwears for K&N
    Truck Mod 25 - Stereo Upgrade
    Truck Mod 26 - Rancho RS9000 Shocks
    Truck Mod 27 - Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Control
    Truck Mod 28 - Velvet Ride Shackles
    Truck Mod 29 - Allison Cooler Scoop
    Truck Mod 30 - Dynamat in doors
    Truck Mod 31 - B&W Turnover Ball
    Truck Mod 32 - Pillar Gauges
    Truck Mod 33 - Sylvania Silverstars
    Truck Mod 34 - Unleashed power...Quadzilla Power
    Damn....I'm feel so inadequate with my couple add ons I dont even know what some of that stuff is Silver Bullet.
    02 EC-SB 4x4 Hot Juice, Flowmaster<br />AFE Stage II air box<br /><br />86 Turbo Regal

Alright Dog,
    Where in Ga.? Peanuts and cotton Huh, must be some where in South Ga.
    Do you have any idea what is required to track and balance a rotor system? didn't think so
    BTW who do you think makes sure the engines etc. operate to spec. on the Acft the XP's (Chuck Yeager types) fly.
    Back to where in GA., Albany was home to me, a lot of south Ga. is within my local flying area.

What does it take to do 14.0? 2 things for me.
    I have gone 14.098 @ 92.5 mph with my 2001 Sierra 2500HD D/A SLT Longbed. My mods:

1) Hot Juice
    2) K&N filter

That is ALL the mods I have. Stock exhaust, tires, everything. This was in 90 degree weather at NHRA dragstrip Gateway International Raceway in St. Louis, MO on July 11, 2003.
    60' in 1.8's generally.
    It would be quicker and faster but defueling on shifts, and some powerdown when it detects trans slippage, limits things. ET's were from 14.3 to 14.0 on 4 passes that day.

Had gone 14.24, 92.5mph with Juice 3.5 and BD PowerPlay module stacked, would bump up BD after 70mph otherwise could get trans slip.

Cool

Originally posted by Alli-max:
    so whats next Aggie boy? Other than my Longhorns whipping your ARSE!!

You need.... you need...... PROPANE.
    LMAO! SB, you gonna let him get away with this?

There are 2 easy ways to get him good. Sneak over the night before and stuff a rag in the rain gutter. then laugh and tell him you didn't think it was all that effective anyways.

Or drain a 1/2 QT of coolant out of his system. He'll have it down to the dealer so fast for a headgasket replacement it'll make your head spin. Don't tell him you drained it till after, though.

Have Fun!

BigDog,

Everyone has their opinion, most people on here have chosen to add a few mods, I'm sure they realize added power decreases engine life to some extent.

Have you seen any posts by peanutgrower? Now there's a peanut farmer with a serious problem with modifications. Multiple boxes, propane, wheelhop, shredded tires, broken tie rods from
    4WD launches. He even bought a spare motor. Either to tinker with or to replace the one he's trying desperately to blow up.

PS: I get 1 or 2 phone calls a day from some maniac on his cell phone, more often than not he's telling me how he's doin' 100+ mph and just got done eating some Cummins, or Ford, or sports car owner's lunch. He's not a young 'un and I'm not gonna say he's the model of maturity or wisdom, but he sure is having fun from the Heart of Dixie!

Regards, Steve

model of maturity

Originally posted by a64pilot:
    Alright Dog,
    Back to where in GA., Albany was home to me, a lot of south Ga. is within my local flying area.
    I can see it now....... Apache in full spread over BigDogs peanut patch....

Roasted peanuts anyone

[ 08-21-2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: hoot ]