Thread: Scan Tools

Question

Hi,

I am interested in purchasing an OBD-II scan tool for my '02 Duramax ZF/6 and am wondering which one is the best price/features. I didn't realize there were quite so many to choose from. We also own a '98 Chevrolet Silverado 5.7 which is OBD-II as well, it would be great if the same unit could be used for both vehicles.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
    Tim

Here's one that I use.
    Harrison R&D

Here's another one.
    Alex Piper

Either one will do what you described. There are a couple of power enhancers for your Dmax that will access and clear OBD-II codes on your Dmax as well.

Hope that helps.
    \'99 2500 ISB QC SLT (No Leather!),4x4,5sp w/McLeod,4:10,BP8x11\'s,B-1,FMS,EZ,PE4200,LPG,H2O/CH4O,4\"exh.,Pac-Brake,OBA,more switches than you,Line-X,V-1,lts,siren,lic. plt. frm says \"<b><i>Diesel Fumes Make Me Horny!</i></b>\",and much more goofy stuff.

I use an AutoTap mdl 123. It will do all GM products, all Ford, most Dodge, most imports.

It records sessions to HHD on a notebook or palm pilot, or you can set it up to display reading on gauges in realtime.

I do not own a DuraMax, but I have read it works with that as well, and I have used it on OBDII Chevy Trucks (5.3/6.0). I've also used it on Camaros, Firebirds, Corvettes, Cadillacs, Olds, and a few other GM's.
    Tuner of fast "diesel" powered trucks, www.McRatRacing.com

2005 GMC 2500HD "Casper" 11.77 @ 114.5 on #2. 674rwhp, 1380tq. EFILive "McRat" tuning, Mike L Suncoast, PPE Dual CP3's, HighTechTurbo "McRat" charger.
    2004.5 GMC 3500 "Big Blue" 13.1 @ 103 on #2. PPE Tuned, Mike L Suncoast Trans.
    2006 GMC 2500HD "Wendy" 13.9@96 on #2, PPE tuning, Mike L Suncoast trans.

From what I have read it looks like the best one out there is the Predator since it's customized to the Duramax and can be used to tune it as well. But it can't be used with my '98 5.7 unfortunately.

If I don't care about tuning it, it sounds like AutoTap is the next best choice but I am not convinced it can perform all the fancy injector monitoring the Predator can.

Which one works best for monitoring the injectors and every other Chevrolet Duramax specific function?

Also, can any of these be used for the ABS system? I don't believe they can unfortunately.

If there's a particular unit out there (other than the GM Tech-II) which is far superior to the rest, I would surely like to hear about it and why it is so before I purchase.

Thanks,
    Tim

What is the "most economical" one that will adjust for tire size? Only reason I want one as I have juice, but really bothers me speedo is off 11% (315-70R17's). I keep a table in the visor ... but have a hard time with the wife when I tell her to use the table to see how fast she is going. LOL I'd really like for speedo/odometer to display accurate info.
    03\' 2500 HD LT CC 4x4, D/A, Rancho 4\", Weld Evo\'s, BF 315-70R17 KO\'s, Autometer gauges, Banks 4\", AFE Stg II, LineX, Bilstein SS shocks, OilGuard, Racor 660 Pre-oem, Juice 4.61 <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~tophog/duramax/2003_dmax.htm\" target=\"_blank\">(Photos)</a>

The AutoTap only monitors engine sensors and reads/resets trouble codes. It does not, and cannot change PCM settings. It's fairly expensive at ~$400, but it is pretty handy and works on nearly every model vehicle build after 1995. If you have multiple vehicles it's the way to go IMO.
    Tuner of fast "diesel" powered trucks, www.McRatRacing.com

2005 GMC 2500HD "Casper" 11.77 @ 114.5 on #2. 674rwhp, 1380tq. EFILive "McRat" tuning, Mike L Suncoast, PPE Dual CP3's, HighTechTurbo "McRat" charger.
    2004.5 GMC 3500 "Big Blue" 13.1 @ 103 on #2. PPE Tuned, Mike L Suncoast Trans.
    2006 GMC 2500HD "Wendy" 13.9@96 on #2, PPE tuning, Mike L Suncoast trans.