Thread: Comparing the actual trucks...GM 2500 HD, Ford F250SD and Dodge 2500

Exclamation

Well, here's the story. I work 3rd shift so during the day I have to find stuff to entertain myself while everyone I know is working. I will tell you that when I get a truck it will be GM without a doubt, but I decided to look at the others even though I had my mind made up on the duramax or maybe a 6.5TD. I love the duramax/allison combo more than anything. I'd also like to point out that I'm as big of a diehard Chevy guy as they come. Anyway, I couldn't think of anything better to do today.

First stop, the Chevy dealer.
    I like the looks of the chevy truck the best out of all the trucks I looked at. There was one red duramax truck I really liked, LS ext cab, shortbed 4x4, I'm kinda hoping that they still have this truck once I am in a position to buy a truck. They had a decent selection of trucks on the lot, with one exception. The only had two 2500 HD silverados on the lot that didn't have those accordion power extending mirrors. I know they have thier uses but don't look that good. I think they should have came up with something better.

next stop, GMC.
    The sierra HD is cool, but not quite as good looking as the chevy, IMO. Couple of nice trucks there, too. Again, not a big fan of the power camper mirrors, but I know they can be useful. I guess I'm in a minority about the power extendo camper mirrors because I've been told by more than one dealer that they have trouble selling HD trucks that have the normal mirrors. I saw one thing about the GMC, the large vent holes in the front bumper on all of them you could see rusty metal right under those vents. You could see it easily without actually looking for it you know, just walking by.

Stop number 3, Ford
    I hope I didn't offend anyone when I dogged the CM camper mirrors, cause damn, the ford ones are way worse. Them mirrors are awful heavy duty looking, it makes you wonder, can you lift the entire truck up by those mirrors? I noticed that the ford dealer had way more diesel trucks to choose from than any chevy or GMC dealer I have ever seen, which was kinda cool, except for the fact that every super duty truck there was longbed. They didn't have one shortbed, which brings up another point. Anyone out there like me, that things that the GM longbed trucks are a bit too long looking? I noticed that this was not the case with the ford trucks, or the dodge either. In the GM trucks the longbed looks like "out of place" long. On the ford trucks, you don't really even notice its a longbed. Can anyone offer an explanation for this? Is the ford rear axle in a different spot relative to the front and rear of the axle compared to the GM truck? Or is it just the truck sits up so damn high especially in front, that you just don't really notice its a longbed? Am I nuts or have others noticed this, too? The ford extended cab trucks looked like they had more room up front, looking in from outside. I don't like the way the sheetmetal curves down where the window right before the mirrors from hell. That's just plain stupid looking. I would like to say one thing, I like the way they sit up real high in the front.

4th, Dodge, saving the worst for last
    Well, the comparison kinda fell short, because they didn't have a single 2500 truck at the dodge dealer, but I did take a few notes on the actual trucks, though. First, every brand new truck there had a rusty as hell exhaust already. Kinda makes you wonder how long it would last when someone actually starts driving the truck. I wonder if they share the "body falling apart due to rust at 60k" feature common to many late 90s dodge ram and dakota pickups that you will find. The styling, especially the front end, WAY in last place for this outing.

That concludes today's trip. What do you guys think/want to add? I want to hear what other TDP members think of the competition and/or my evaluation.

Later
    Jordan

Talking

I also think the gm camper mirrors are a s**t too. The ford mirrors are nice but I like the dodge camper mirrors better. I am looking at a new truck in about 3 months I hope I can get a good deal on an 03 but if I can't find what I went I'll order an 04. I am still having a hard time with the 03 fronts of the chevy. the gmc look better but I look the 02. Will write in later.
    Glen
    03 SILVERADO 2500HD LS C/C D/A SB 4x4

I think you hate everything big and beefy about the trucks. Maybe a car is more your style. A volvo diesel perhaps. And the avalanche chavy front end, Just yuck. To each his own. At least you really didnt like the dodge. Good luck. No hard feelings, just insight that you asked. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2003 3500 DURAMAX ALLISON CREW CAB DUALLY, LEATHER, DVD, LOADED, EVERY OPTION, FIRE RED. WESTIN NERF BARS, BLUE HEADLIGHTS, DEEZEE 5TH WHEEL BOX, 2000 WATT STEREO SYSTEM, K&N. <p>1985 TOYOTA TRUCK, FULL BLOWN CHEVY 350 V8, DUAL 4 BRL EDELBROCKS ON A 6-71 WEIAND. RUNNING ON METHANE. 625+ HP. REAR DANA 70 WITH DISK BRAKES, 60 FRONT, WELDED & LOCKED, 44\"BOGGERS, FULL HYDRAULIC STEERING, RADIATOR IN BED, TILT FRONTEND, W9000I ( YES IT IS BUILT MOSTLY FOR ROCKCRAWLING, WITH A LITTLE EXTRA HP ).<p>1985 CAMARO Z28 WITH A VETT L98 TUNED PORT INJECTED MOTOR (WIFES CAR)<p>1988 PRO STOCK CAMARO IN THE WORKS<br />AND SOME OTHER TOYS.<br />www.4x4realm.com <br />shad@4x4realm.com <br />shadsdually@myonstar.com

Jorday
    I got a 2002 2500HD D/A CC SB and I am having the ttt mirrors installed on tuesday. I choose the GMC over the Chevy because of the restyled headlights on the chevy. I like the front end looks of the GMC because to me it has a classy look. As for the truck mechanically, mine is bone stock except for the ttt mirrors and the westin oval step tubes and this truck kicks butt. I was looking at Fords but the front ends on used trucks were sloppy and the Dodges didn't have enough room. Just my 2 cents.
    \"Live for today cause you don\'t know if there will be a tomorrow.\"

Jorday

OH Boy, where do I start.

I went through the same process as you did about 2 months ago. Except with different results.

Chevrolet
    I have always been a Chevy Man, 7-Trucks, 11-Cars in the last 30 years all Chevrolet except for an Olds and 1- Subaru (hey it fit the need at the time  ) . So my obvious choice was another Chevrolet Truck, that was until they put the Ugly Azz Avalanche front end on it. Its JMHO but I didn
    2003 GMC Sierra D/A 2500HD CC 4x4 Carbon Metallic
    K&N
    285/75R Bridgestone REVO's
    Kennedy 4" Exhaust
    Zaino Polish CB WESTIN STEPS
    MY PICTURES

It's funny how you saved the worst for last, but there weren't any on the lot to look at. Hmmm, I wonder why.

It seems as though you've already made up your mind to what you want and really don't want honest opinions on the competition. So why bother asking? Unless you're trying to justify the purchase to yourself by belittling other makes. Whatever your motivation, I hope you're happy with your choice. You'll have to live with that decision for a long time.

(When you get serious and want honesty, let us know.)
    \'99 2500 ISB QC SLT (No Leather!),4x4,5sp w/McLeod,4:10,BP8x11\'s,B-1,FMS,EZ,PE4200,LPG,H2O/CH4O,4\"exh.,Pac-Brake,OBA,more switches than you,Line-X,V-1,lts,siren,lic. plt. frm says \"<b><i>Diesel Fumes Make Me Horny!</i></b>\",and much more goofy stuff.

Jorday,

To each their own! I've owned the other brands and I found good in all of them! It comes down to the buyer and their needs/tastes in a truck.

BTW, the 2003 Dodge is no slouch! Dodge raised the bar, make sure you at least test drive a Dodge and a Ford SB before you make your final decision.

For me the GMC was the best choice! That does NOT mean anything to someone else that has different need in a truck.

I would be careful to buy what you need and not concern yourself with others opinions. It's only yourself you need to please.

Good Luck!

[ 05-19-2003: Message edited by: FisHn2DMax ]</p>
    2003 GMC 2500HD SLT Crew Cab 4x4 D/A with all the toys! Rear seat DVD system with Bose 6 changer CD Stereo system. factory Extendable tow mirrors. Line-X sprayed bed liner, Westin Nurf bars, 285 BFG AT\'s on 16\" AR chrome pythons, 5\'er hitch, prodigy controller.

Jorday,

I'm with fishin'. Get what suits you. I like the looks of all these trucks, and have a true appreciation for each one's characteristics. What's funny is I'll have a new Ford owner make a comment like " I got a Ford because the back seat has more room". I just smile because I know that maybe it has more room(debatable), but not nearly as comfortable, and less leg room. One of my excuses to get the Max was it's lower profile. I pull a 5ver, and I wanted a lower truck. This is one of the reasons the longbed looks out of place. I tell you what though, you put some meats on that Ol' LWB, and you got one hunk of truck. I have the SWB, and our dog kennel with two sheperds fits right nice like in front of the hitch. I really like the turning radius of the SWB. It's what works for me. Have fun, I had a lot of time invested in my purchases as well.
    02\' CC Max W/StageII AFE, Pillar Mount Autometer Gauges, Da\' Juice, Kennedy 4\" Exhaust, and Edelbrock IAS Shocks in each corner. We tow a 25\'(converts to a 30\' w/pullout) 5Th Wheel, and 18\' Bayliner on a trailer w/ surge brakes simultaneously(Wow, I spelled that?).<br />02\' Yukon XL 5.3 W/Hypertech, and K&N Filter. That\'s all for now. It\'s leased, and belongs to my wife(Nuff said). I had to make up an excuse about the over-sized tires just to get the Hypertech(hehe).<br />95\' Convertible Z28 5.7L W/K&N Intake System, 5-spoke 18\" Wheels, Hypertech(hehe), Flow-Master Exhaust(Saweet).<br />95\' Ninja 600(FOR SALE)

I am a GM man, so for ME it was mainly between the GMC and the Chevy. Personally, I much prefer the cleaner styling of the GMC than the Chevy.

I really don't have anything against the Fords, but I wouldn't buy the first year of the 6.0L right now.

The Dodge was easy for me. I wanted a crew cab for ease of getting in and out for the entire family. The rear doors on the Dodge crew cab are a joke. They aren't much bigger than the rear doors on a GM extended cab.
    Brian<br /><br />-<a href=\"http://www.lonestar4x4.org/Albums.asp\" target=\"_blank\">2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE CC SB D/A 4x4</a><br />-1985 GMC Jimmy 4x4 1-ton off-road beast sporting 42\" TSLs<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.lonestar4x4.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.lonestar4x4.org</a>

Hey Jordan,

I agree with the others. You are the one that has to decide. However, in saying that, I will give you my thoughts, because there are some things the others have not touched on. The fords are a good truck, however the new six liter engine, is having MANY, MANY, problems. You won't believe this, but a ford dealer even QUIETLY advised me to "wait a few months so we can get a few bugs worked out". This is because they have built there own transmission, and a brand new engine. If you want a Ford, lease one of the others, then buy a Ford in 2004, or 2005. The looks of the Ford, ride quality, handling, etc, are all great. I should say the crew cab is literally to big. I have found you have to shout, to be heard by people riding in the front seats. The extended cab is okay for riding for short trips, but the GMC with the inch or so of extra room, makes a big difference when riding back there.
    The Dodge is an okay truck. I would get the high-output Cummins diesel with the six-speed for an engine combo. The automatic transmission, has been nothing but problems, now and in the last few years. This again, has been quietly confirmed. Other than that, the room is good, ride is a little harsh but not to bad, seats I thought were okay. They are not actual leather, they are vinal. However, there are NO HEAD RESTS in the back seats. In my oppinion, this is a SIGNIFICANT safety factor. I also checked and they are not available as an option, or accessory.
    Chevy and GMC are both good trucks. There extended and crew cabs are perfectly sized in my oppinion. They have the best payload, and towing. They, and Dodge's Cummins, in my oppinion, tie for having the most reliable engines. However, GMC and Chevy have the most reliable transmission BY FAR, because it is the PROVEN Alison. I say they are the most comfortable riding, and quietest trucks, both inside and out. I bought the GMC as I along with others, like the front end of it a little bit mor than the Chevy.
    There is a brief over view from me, on the trucks, so as has been stated befor, use these oppinions, and make your decision with the help of them. Let us know what you choose.

James