Thread: Steering difficult

Question

Gentlemen,

I have noticed a huge increase in the power steering of my '04 duramax. I first noticed it turning around on a gravel road. My truck went from where my grandma could turn the wheel to where now I have to fight it to get the wheels turned to turn around or park in a tight spot. My local GMC dealer's "best man" couldn't find anything wrong with it and said that it was the worn tires and that they were one size larger than stock. I replied that the change happened "over night" not gradually like you would expect a wear of the tires to happen. I've had many trucks and noticed a steering improvement when putting on new tires but never notice a problem steering the rig happen so fast and to first notice it on gravel. The other day I was cruising along through a parking lot and a car started to back out in front of me. I braked and turned to the right and could barely turn the wheel. I just spoke with a manager from another dealer's service dept. and he is going to look into it for me but I'm already starting to feel like I'm getting the run around. Has anyone had a similar steering problem? Any tips? One friend suggested that the ps pump is not working right ie. not putting out enough hydraulic pressure when needed to get the job done.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mark
    04 GMC Sierra CC, LB, Stock

Sounds like an issue with the power steering pump.
    2002 Silverado 2500 D/A CC SB<br />Predator, H2\'s 315\'s Bilsteins

Does it get harder to steer when the brake is applied?

That may be another indication that it is your power steering pump, since that also runs the boost on the brake system.

Yes, when braking and turning (hard) I notice it. When the service manager calls me back ( ) then I will ask him politely if the two run on the same pump. When he says yes they do, then I will say "great, looks like you figured it out. Now I just have to see if they will fix the intermediate steering shaft also.

Mark

Good luck getting any help from a GM dealer when it comes to hard steering!!!I bought over sized tires from the dealer and installed them on a new 2003 D/A. It was winter so on snow they were great but spring did come and I could`nt turn the steering wheel on dry pavement. I turned the tires back to the dealer at a loss. They resold them to another D/A truck owner and tell me he has no problem.They did`nt offer to check power steering pump because they know the pumps are minimun requirement for stock tire size.Does the snow-plow option include a more powerful pump???

madmatt Guest

there is a bulletin on this problem (bulletin# pit3386A) that addresses hard steering during paking lot type maneuvers...this sound like your problem? I've done several and all were corrected w/ the update pressure control valve.

Some customers may comment on a lack of steering assist or shudder during parking lot type maneuvers.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    Please follow normal diagnostics in eSI for this condition. If the customer situation warrants a repair, replace the current pressure control valve with P/N 26095470, available from GMSPO. This valve will provide additional steering assist during parking lot type maneuvers. If this concern occurs when stopped or at very slow speeds with brakes applied, please reference PIT3310.

Thank you MadMat. I appreciate this information. Hopefully having this knowledge will "encourage" my dealer/service center to help me with this issue with my pickup. This really is a shame because I have really liked this truck since I've had it.

Thanks everyone,

Mark

p.s. I can't believe that tires that fit the stock rims could even be considered an issue. If they try and back out because of the tires it really could get ugly. I didn't turn the truck into a "monster truck." I just wanted better traction in the mud and snow. Safety is my concern but apparently not theirs.

Question

Hey Marlin Mark,

Shopman 426 here, It's good to see another member so close. I'm just down the road in Tigard. I would sure like to know which dealer you are going to and how things turn out. I bought my '02 GMC from the Dealer out in Gresham, I don't go there anymore. I am testing out the dealer on Swan Island. So far not so good. I also have a rattle in my steering, had it since day one. I have also run 265x75 16R Coopers on 16x8 Weld wheels since day one, no lack of power when turning.

Let me know, Shopman426.
    Mike.
    <B>2002 GMC SLT</B> Summit White 4x4 Longbox Crewcab 2500HD.<BR>Duramax 6.6L and Allison 1000 Series 5 Speed Auto.<BR>All the Bells and Whistles right down to the heated seats.<P><B>ACCESSORIES</B><BR><LI>Cooper 265x75 16R Tires.<BR><LI>16x8 Typhoon Weld Wheels with aluminum lug covers.<BR><LI>Bars cranked up for 265\'s.<BR><LI>GT Classic Hard Tonneau Cover by Gem Top.<BR><LI>Airlift air bags.<BR><LI>DTA Corp. running boards.<BR><LI>KaydenCo mudflaps front and rear.<BR><LI>Super Custom Camper Mounts.(OK,Home made)<BR><LI>Catch All mats front and rear.<BR>[/list]<P><B>ACCESSORIES to be added</B

Shopman,

I will let you know. I have an appointment for next week to get the truck in. The assist. Mgr. seemed a little more receptive after I gave him memo numbers and part numbers that I have learned from this site. He said that they have to try the lube kit first (on the steering clunking noise) and then they can replace the intermediate steering arm. I did a search of this forum for "steering problems" and came up with a few good replies. I cut and pasted them to a word document. If you like I could email it to you. I will let you know what happens next week by replying to this thread.

Mark

Thumbs down

I've had the lube job done about a year and a half ago, lasted about a month. Gresham dealer won't perform anything else. I follow this page just about everyday, been here since Aug. 2001. I guess I need to give the service manage down on Swan Island another call and remind him about my steering rattle.

Shopman426,
    Mike.
    <B>2002 GMC SLT</B> Summit White 4x4 Longbox Crewcab 2500HD.<BR>Duramax 6.6L and Allison 1000 Series 5 Speed Auto.<BR>All the Bells and Whistles right down to the heated seats.<P><B>ACCESSORIES</B><BR><LI>Cooper 265x75 16R Tires.<BR><LI>16x8 Typhoon Weld Wheels with aluminum lug covers.<BR><LI>Bars cranked up for 265\'s.<BR><LI>GT Classic Hard Tonneau Cover by Gem Top.<BR><LI>Airlift air bags.<BR><LI>DTA Corp. running boards.<BR><LI>KaydenCo mudflaps front and rear.<BR><LI>Super Custom Camper Mounts.(OK,Home made)<BR><LI>Catch All mats front and rear.<BR>[/list]<P><B>ACCESSORIES to be added</B