Thread: PMD/FSD help!

I need some replies from you guys who have had experienced the stalling issue due to a bad FSD. I, too, am having the stalling problem now. My pump was replaced at 90K miles, but I now have 155K. The problem just started this week. I replaced my lift pump already. It stalled again this morning. I have noticed that it does not matter whether I am accelerating or just parked in the parking lot, it can stall. It always starts right back up with no extra cranking. However, when the engine is good and warmed up, it does not stall. Only on short trips around town does it happen. No light comes on for check engine. I went to a mechanic today and paid to have him to check for history codes, and his scanner said there were no codes to report at all. I did notice that the fuel shut off solenoid (silver tube you can put your hand on in front of the injection pump) seems a bit loose; not a lot, just a little bit -- is that normal? You can toggle it a bit with your finger on the top hex bolt. Should I replace the PMD? Please help guys. This is a lot of money so I need to make sure I fix the right thing. Thanks.
    Adam
    '98 GMC K1500 4X4 extracab 3.42 gears SSdieselsupply heatsink/ FSD, JK 3.5" exhaust w/Allied "Quiet" muffler. JK Boost controller. ISSPRO pyrometer and boost gauges. '79 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz w/ 5.7L "Mr. Goodwrench" Diesel. All stock except: Racor fuel filter/separator and Delco #60G glow plugs (ground-down to make them fit). '83 Suburban with 6.2L Diesel and "Greasecar" fuel kit. '91 Mercedes 350SD with 3.5L 6 cyl turbodiesel (wife's car--best car I have ever owned). HaHa-I-love-dem-all!

Barry Nave Guest

Fuel shut off should not move. If it is even a little lose, It would leak. IF it does not leak and you can move it then that would,could cause it to malfunction and shut Eng. down.
    Replace that first and see what happens.
    FSD gets worse with heat.

It still sounds like the FSD to me. Mine always tended to stall after 5 minutes or so of running, but would also stall less frequently any other time. Warm restarting also became unreliable. Check some diesel shops in your area for a good spare. If they have any they usually sell them dirt cheap. Then you can try it to make sure that's the problem.