Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OilGuard Bypass Filter

Hey a bear!

I think you misread the Mobil document. I read it to say the MOBIL 1 (brand) 15-micron filter meaning 15-mic absolute.

Regarding George Morrison, I thought he worked for a distributor that sells Mobil products. I'll go find his sig to get straight on that.

OilGuard went on the record saying that their filter will not remove additives. I am not technically qualified to confirm or deny this. But, other than from the product seller and advertiser- I have seen no other statement to support this.

I do know with certainty that additives suspend contaminants- so in my mind, logic tells me that if the contaminants are stopped by a 1-mic filter, at least SOME of the additive gets stopped there too.

BTW- I haven't said the by-pass filter doesn't work, just that it's overkill for the majority of us.

If it gives you peace-of-mind, that adds value.

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: TraceF ]</p>
    2008 GMC Sierra SLE 2500 HD
    Z71 4x4 Extended cab long bed
    265/70/17 oem aluminum wheels
    6.0 gasser with 6L90 tranny

2007 Harley Davidson FXSTC
    Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

Trace,
    I also read it as 15 mic. absolute meaning it would filter out 98% of all particles 15 mic or larger in a single pass.

I agree by-pass filters are not for everyone. I guess the need would have to be determined case by case.
    2002 2500HD CC D/A <br />Post Mega filt., Lighted TTT mirrors, K&N Air Filt, Bilstein <br />B&W Gooseneck/5th, Oil guard, <br />Tekonsha Prodigy, Lift Pump, Line-x<br />Air Lift Bags & Load Controller II <br />Pics. <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/abear130\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/abear130</a>

JK-

Help me understand... why ferrography? I have been rolling this around in my head for the past 24 hours trying to see the benefit.

If the spectography is saying no elevated wear metals, no H2O indicating possible glycol intrusion, and the analyzed lubricant still represents that it meets the original specification, why go the extra expense of ferrography?

I can understand you wanting this data to support the development of a by-pass system as you are in process of, in this way this info is valuable, but to the consumer- how is this information important?

The "big stuff" as you refer to it is apparently suspended and doing no damage or harm as indicated by non-elevated wear metals. The soot is also being managed by the additive package, in other words, "suspended".

In my mind, the real value of oil analysis is to recognize elevated wear metals in advance of engine failure or significant damage, and to recognize the presence of water (coolant) in advance of engine failure or significant damage.

Additionally, if using oil analysis as an economic tool, it can be used to effectively extend drain intervals. This does not come without some associated risk though if not approached properly.

If you extend drain intervals as a result of having established by way of oil analysis, a "baseline" for the useful life of your preferred lubricant, and have a component failure or a coolant leak into the lubricating system, it is more likely to do significant damage than if oil analysis is routine and frequent.

Here again we come face-to-face with an economic issue. How much would it cost to analyze several times versus changing the lube? This is easy to calculate and compare. Changing oil is cheaper at about $25 per service. In the case of extremely large crankcases or sumps, oil analysis can be economically advantageous. It just doesn't work for 10 quarts.

Once again, in my mind... oil analysis is interesting, but if you change the lubricant at the proper interval, and use a premium current spec product (CI); you are going to get A LOT of miles out of these engines unless you have the fluke.

Then we can hope GM steps up to the plate through 100,000 miles.

Finally, by now I am sure you think I thrive on debate but I am truly just trying to understand your reasoning and understand why you think ferrography is valuable to us consumers.

Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

Kennedy Guest

Because a spectro analysis looks right through the soot globules and any large particles. I've seen passing grades on spectro analysis on an engine with the cam bearings literally SHREDDED into the crankcase. This was on my second failed 6.5 block...

What would the ferrography have shown John? What killed the motor?

The larger metallic and non-metallic particles are usually what causes the ppm wear metals seen by the spectography.

Spectography is generally the first evidence that ferrography may be needed.

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: TraceF ]</p>

Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's