Thread: Do I NEED gauges??

I know its preferrable of course but heres my trucks configuration. I have an 03 GMC ex cab 4x4 Dura/Ally. I installed standard juice from JK about a year ago. It has been set on level 2 for regular driving and on level 1 for towing since then and I have never ventured to try any other settings because I am very pleased. I plow snow all winter long and tow a 31 foot Jayco with a 14 foot slide out room (ball hitch trailer not a 5er) weighing in at about 9000 lbs max out of my driveway. Plus me the wife and 3 little ones and a bed full of camping gear and beer. I use tow/haul all the time with the trailer on and plow in regular mode. Last summer I took some steep uphill PA grades at 65 or better with the air on and lovin life with this truck. This summer I have been taking a little easier on the truck. Anyway do you think I really need to monitor the extra 30 Hp or so I am juicing or should i be okay? I've been repairing gas motors my whole life but the diesel thing is,well-different. I am not comfortable drilling the mainifold while the truck is running or off for that matter. To make things worse I took the truck in for inspection with the juice box on and the tech kid who did the inspection wrote all over the work order that I "spliced into factory harness and removed vahicle emission label". Of which neither are true I didn't splice anything I plugged it in and there never was a VCI label on the radiator shroud where I put an "Edge" sticker. I have no plans of going any further except maybe an intake. But that service experience scared me thinking about my possible future warranty needs. I mean if I were to drill the manifold for a probe this schmuck would probably take pictures of it.

Arrow

A stock LB7 can reach 1250-1400 degrees when completely stock, and driven hard with a load. Adding power via any of the available power modules or programmers also raises fueling - even on level 1.

Aside from knowing what the exhaust temperature is, so you can pull out of the throttle if necessary, gauges can be helpful to improve powertrain management (allows you to experiment with gearing, boost pressures, EGT's and vehicle speeds) to improve hill pulling ability, fuel economy, etc.)

So yes, we recommend gauges.

MP