Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Brake Controller Installation

Red face

In preparation to install my prodigy unit, I'm confused as to where to plug in the GM wiring harness plug on the electrical center. Looking at the inside of the center cover, there is a lable of the physical layout ~ and to my eye, it doesn't match anything in the electrical center Does anyone know which socket/position the plug is supposed to connect? TIA ~ odoh
    \'02 Summit White Silverado 2500HD D/A EC 4x4 Shorty. Pristine stock except for a pair of alternators, 4WD Dashlite, OD Lockout, HiSpeed Idle, SteelHorse SS stys, TurboLiner sheet metal stiffener, Astro topper, InvincaShield front, Cabelas ClearTrim rocker panels, GMC underseat toy chest, Banks gauges, Prodigy, Kennedy Headlight Booster. Okay, its not so \'pristine\' anymore. Neither am I.<p>http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=odoh

mdrag Guest

Cool

odoh,

The brake controller harness plugs into the MBEC located on the driver's side near the kick panel (front of driver's footwell in the corner where the carpet ends). IIRC, it plugs into C5, which should be in the upper right part. The 40A Maxi-fuse goes in the under hood electrical center STUD#1 to provide accesory 12V power to the 7 way receiver mounted recpt.

mdrag ~ Got it. It goes into the second from the left, uppermost row. Thanks ~ odoh
    \'02 Summit White Silverado 2500HD D/A EC 4x4 Shorty. Pristine stock except for a pair of alternators, 4WD Dashlite, OD Lockout, HiSpeed Idle, SteelHorse SS stys, TurboLiner sheet metal stiffener, Astro topper, InvincaShield front, Cabelas ClearTrim rocker panels, GMC underseat toy chest, Banks gauges, Prodigy, Kennedy Headlight Booster. Okay, its not so \'pristine\' anymore. Neither am I.<p>http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=odoh

I just went throught this very same situation, that cover and diagram do not seem to match the pattern of the fuses and plugs, Just installed the prodigy, now just need to hook up the trailer and try it out.
    Scott<br />02 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 8.1 / Allison<br />01 Prowler 31g<br />Hensley Arrow & Prodigy

IIRC, the MBEC connectors are all "keyed" for their correct location, meaning you can't plug into the wrong location...

Scott
    2002 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab/DA/LB in... Pewter!

Uh-uh. Donwanna count on that. ~ odoh

GM really is getting their act together. I was planning on drilling holes to mount my brake but found 2 holes on the under side lip of the dash between the driver's legs. I would have preferred a position over the 4X4 selector but that would have required drilling holes and the lip is not flat at that point.
    2002 GMC 2500HD Pewter/Pewter CC/LB/4x4/SLT Duramax/Allison<br />AMSOIL Air Filter, AMSOIL Dual Remote Oil Filter<br />Advanced Cover folding tonneau cover

Russ

I used the same spot for mounting the prodigy.

I thought it would interfere with the pedal but it does not and it is nice and close to reach in an emergency.
    2002 2500 HD Duramax Diesel Crew Cab Short box 4x4<br /><br />OEM Running Boards, Hidden Hitch front end hitch, step covers, and driven like there is an egg under the gas pedal

Anchorage, Alaska but living in Colorado because Uncle Sam knows best!!

Russ,

Does that location get in the way of your legs when entering and exiting the seat? What about ease of access in an emergency?
    2002 2500HD Crew Cab<br />Long Bed, LT, 4X4<br />Summit White (Alaskan Camo)<br />Line-X Bed Liner<br />Husky Floor Liners<br />Pulling a 2000 Jayco Qwest 240A<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/alaskadmax\" target=\"_blank\">My Pics</a><br />Member 6846

Cool

I mounted my prodigy to a single screw above the accelerater pedal. Just next to the console. I used the hang down bracket and tightened the screw next to the console with a pair of pliers.
    I absolutely hate to drill any holes in the dash if I can help it, but when I install an exhaust brake I will probably have to. tpitt
    2004 G.M.C. LLY CC D/A sb 4wd Summit White, ATS Duals, BD X-monitor, BD Exhaust Brake, Snugtop shell, 45 gal. Transferflow fuel tank, AFE stage II
    2004 TDI Jetta GLS S/W
    2005 TDI Passat GLS S/W
    2020 GMC Denali 2500HD

You guys must have some long arms to reach the controller at the bottom of the dash I made a little extention plate for mine. I took a little piece of sheet metal on hand, cut to prodigy width and about 6" long and bent it the same angle as the dash, drilled holes in the bottom edge and mounted the plate to the bottom of the dash above go petal. predrilled the top edge for the prodigy mount. put a little foam between the plate and dash to keep from chaffing and vibrating. Now prodigy is a lot easier to reach. I painted the mount ext black but was thinking about doing over with alum.

AlaskaDmax

The middle install location does not get in the way, it looks like it would but it doesn't/
    2002 2500 HD Duramax Diesel Crew Cab Short box 4x4<br /><br />OEM Running Boards, Hidden Hitch front end hitch, step covers, and driven like there is an egg under the gas pedal

Wink

"I absolutely hate to drill any holes in the dash if I can help it, but when I install an exhaust brake I will probably have to. tpitt"

Are you kidding me? You know how we put holes in our airboxes so they breath better? I did it to my dash too. I didn't register a big gain but it sure feels like it seat-of-the-pants

SOTP New acronym!!!!!

Anchorage, Alaska but living in Colorado because Uncle Sam knows best!!

Ironhead,

How about some pics...I am a big fan of home manufacturing...the job I have allows for tons of self made items...I DIG it!!!

Pics, brother!

Tpitt,

I drilled my holes in the metal frame just under the dash so as not to create any unsitely holes in the plastic dash should the brake controller ever need to come out.
    2002 2500HD Crew Cab<br />Long Bed, LT, 4X4<br />Summit White (Alaskan Camo)<br />Line-X Bed Liner<br />Husky Floor Liners<br />Pulling a 2000 Jayco Qwest 240A<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/alaskadmax\" target=\"_blank\">My Pics</a><br />Member 6846

AlaskaDmax,
    Sorry I am computer picture illiterate. For the life of me it is something I cant grasp. I even had a young smart alec computer whizz kid come over and try to teach me and wrote down step by step, but when I pull out those instructions to try on my own it just dont happen. I was trying awhile back to post some pics of a custom dump bed I made for a customer that I mounted on a 2500 short bed ext cab Dmax I though some of you might get a kick out of that but it was not to be.

Cool

Hoot:
    I cant see the airbox from the seat. Theres just something about drilling holes in a new vehicle, kind of like the first scratch or dent.
    I can reach my controller just fine where it is. I guess it helps to be part Orangutan. (Boy thats a tough one to spell, had to get the dictionary) If I could lose about 60# I would have even longer reach tpitt
    2004 G.M.C. LLY CC D/A sb 4wd Summit White, ATS Duals, BD X-monitor, BD Exhaust Brake, Snugtop shell, 45 gal. Transferflow fuel tank, AFE stage II
    2004 TDI Jetta GLS S/W
    2005 TDI Passat GLS S/W
    2020 GMC Denali 2500HD

Ironhead,
    I was 'computer picture' illiterate until yesterday as well. Some of the guys here helped me out. I took a role of film down to the drug store where I get them developed. I asked them how I could get the pics on the internet. They said for a $5 fee ($3US) we'll put them on for you. In the time it took to get home, there they were. Simple as that. They leave the pics on their site for 30 days for you or others to link to. Then just download the pics to your computer to do with what you will.
    '02 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 4WD D/A CC Black/Graphite (Totally Impressed with this Truck!!!) Pulls a 24' Sooner Goosneck Cattle Trailer w/a 30,000lb Draw-Tite Flush Mount Remove-a-Ball Trailer Hitch & Hayes Lemmerz Syncronizer Brake Controller
    Mods So Far: Edge Juice, 4.61 HOT!!!,BD XMonitor, 4" Magnaflow Stainless Steel Exhaust w/5" S/S Tip, AFE Air Intake Snorkel, 3" Front Suspension Torsion Bar Levelling Kit, Cooper Discoverer S/T 255/85's, Bilstein Shocks F&R, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Springs with in-cab Dual Air Command, Correctrack 1 3/4" Dually Spacers,F&R Centramatic Wheel Balancers, BD Exhaust Brake, Howes Fuel Additive, J&J S/S Millenium Running Boards w/lights, J&J S/S Headache Rack & Rails, J&J Lighted Grab Handles, Manik S/S Tail-Light Guards, GoRhino 7000 series S/S Brush Guard, PIAA Halogen Driving Lights, Lund Sun Visor, Cloud Rider F&R Mudflaps, S/S Door Handle and Tailgate Inserts, Style-Line S/S Wheel Inserts, Auto Ventshade Bugflector II, Auto Ventshade F&R Window Ventvisors, All Star Under Rail Box Liner, Duratrunk Tool Box, Catch-All F&R Floormats, Sportwing Chrome-Bolt Graphics across doors & dually fenders.
    Just another "Farm Truck"

I am going to try to mount my Prodigy in the ashtray holder and remove it when not in use.

Thanks for the location of the plug.
    2K2 Silverado 3500 LT 4x4 Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Loaded Pewter Owner since 01-05-02<br />JL Audio AMPS And SPEAKERS /3x10\" Subwoofer & hundreds of watts<br />Amsoil synthetic fluids<br />Amsoil Dual Remote oil filter<br />Pryo 2001 dual EGT guage<br />Kennedy light harrness plus lights<br />4\" exhaust<br />RS9000\'s<br />Etrex Legend GPS trip computer

I thought about the ash tray idea but I don't think it will fit, if you get it to work though i would love to see it.
    Scott<br />02 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 8.1 / Allison<br />01 Prowler 31g<br />Hensley Arrow & Prodigy

It won't fit all the way in, but most of it goes in.
    2K2 Silverado 3500 LT 4x4 Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Loaded Pewter Owner since 01-05-02<br />JL Audio AMPS And SPEAKERS /3x10\" Subwoofer & hundreds of watts<br />Amsoil synthetic fluids<br />Amsoil Dual Remote oil filter<br />Pryo 2001 dual EGT guage<br />Kennedy light harrness plus lights<br />4\" exhaust<br />RS9000\'s<br />Etrex Legend GPS trip computer