Thread: Tail-gate straps

Received a letter from GMC this past Monday informing me about a recall on the straps. We are to be cautious about putting a load on the tailgate, because the straps might break and let the tailgate fall and drop the load. Also, not to stand on the tailgate for the same reasons. They also stated that whenever suppliers make and send the new stainless straps to the dealers in enough quantity, they will notify by mail to go to the dealer and get them replaced free of charge. Take care and possibly pray for our troops overseas for their safe return, regardless of the fact should we even be over there! Take Care.
    2002 GMC 3500 SLT D/A CC INDIGO BLUE Westin Plat. Step, Bilsteins, Kennedy Harness, Nokia bulbs, GM color molded mats, Tekonsha control, 4 inch exhaust.

I got the letter too. I like the last paragraph:

"However, if one or both of your tailgate support cables fracture before you receive the next letter, please contact your GMC dealer to arrange a service appointment as soon as possible. Your dealer will repair your vehicle but you may have to return to have the cables replaced again if you receive the recall notification letter latter this year."

So does that mean from now until I get my replacement straps that if the tailgate and bumper get damaged due to a broken strap, they will cover it? or will they just replace the straps and not cover the body damage?

Removing the tailgate is unpractical and not going to happen for every time I load my bed.
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD CC SB Duramax Allison 4x4<br /><br />Green Keys<br />285/75/16 Revos on stock wheels<br />SS Nerf Bars<br />Hypertech Programer<br />Custom Stereo<br /><br />Teplin@earthlink.net