Thread: Headache Racks ??

Question

Does anybody have any links or suggestions for quality headache racks? I remember years ago seeing a nice extruded aluminum framed one with aluminum expanded metal insert. Even remember that they offered ones with and without the third brake light cutout (I know thats a while back!) My local farm type store has cheapie painted steel (rust belt) ones, but I would prefer stainless or aluminum. I'll be using it more for light rack and to tie stuff to more than to lean a ladder up on.

Thanks Guys!!
    Thomas J. McCauley Jr.<br />Tommy\'s Lawn Service<br />Member # 5589<br />1990 K3500 SRW Ext.Cab Long Bed 454/400 3.73<br />1975 K20 Suburban 350/350 4.10\'s <br />Tows 16\' Landscape Trailer<br />BOSS 8\'2\" V-Plow<br />7-11 MPG !!!<br />Duramax here I come!!

Maverick Guest

Thumbs up

This is a nice rack. I have one as well as Indigo Dually. It is steel but is powder coated. Very strong. Solid for mounting lights. Aluninum ones seem to have more flex going down the road. Makes your lights bounce alittle.

http://www.backrack4trucks.com/

Highway Products in Oregon - Just got my second saddle toolbox from them, first one is 6 years old and still looks & functions like new. There is no better; awesome quality, awesome products!

http://www.highwayproducts.com

Scott
    2002 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab/DA/LB in... Pewter!

Turbo Al Guest

Thumbs up

Many years ago I got a nice aluminum one from an ad in the paper ($275.00 cdn.) It came off a full size Chev on onto my 1993 Chev. BEFORE I went out and bought one for the 2001 I put the old one on, It fits almost perfectly!! It is about one inch shorter than perfect but that works out extreamely well in my case because I like a little room between the rear window and the rack. Also one of the bedrail holes can't be used (one on both sides) because there is no access from below.

Check out www.ranchhand.com

I only saw one on the web page, but I have a brochure and it has 3 in it. I scanned this in from my brochure.

http://www.kevcarart.com/steve/images_misc/headache.jpg

I hope this helps.

Steve
    Steve (Member #6089)<br /><a href=\"mailto:smbrown819@yahoo.com\">smbrown819@ya hoo.com</a><br />2002 LT 2500HD 4WD Crewcab Pewter/Graphite DuraMax/Allison<br /><a href=\"http://www.monkey.net/steve\" target=\"_blank\">(Mods and Miscellaneous Pics...Updated 08/10/03)</a>

WOW, I didn't even know this section was here!! Has it been here long? I only went down as far as the 8.1 section! If I would have known about this section, I would have entered it here. I just thought that the driveline section was the proper place since it really isn't engine specific.

Anyways....Thanks a LOT for the suggestions! The Backrack looks like a real nice unit.
    Thomas J. McCauley Jr.<br />Tommy\'s Lawn Service<br />Member # 5589<br />1990 K3500 SRW Ext.Cab Long Bed 454/400 3.73<br />1975 K20 Suburban 350/350 4.10\'s <br />Tows 16\' Landscape Trailer<br />BOSS 8\'2\" V-Plow<br />7-11 MPG !!!<br />Duramax here I come!!

The headache racks and toolboxes that hold up best out here in the oilfields are made by www.rawson-koenig.com
    2001 2500HD DuraMax/Allison Crew Cab 4x4 SWB - WRECKED!<br />2003 2500HD DuraMax/Allison Crew Cab 4x4 SWB Lt Pewter/ Tan Leather<br />2003 2500HD DuraMax/Allison Crew Cab 4x4 SWB Dk Green/ Tan Cloth

I have to ask.
    Why are they called headache racks?

Bigbobed,

Well....Ever had anything slide forward in the bed when you hit the brakes? Imagine that load being higher than your bed rails (about rear window height) and come crashing through your rear window and smacking you in the back of your head.....hence...."Headache"-rack!

I believe they were orignally called that because you usually only see them on log truck/flatbed tractors, they are supposedly designed to keep loose logs/payloads from striking/penetrating the cab (hence the headache part) in the event of impact/quick stop.

I however have my doubts as to whether they would actually stop an errant log, let alone a bundle of 60' rebar. I've seen some pretty big logs on the back of those trucks!

Scott
    2002 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab/DA/LB in... Pewter!

Have to second ya about Rawson-Koenig. I have one on my work truck and really like it. Very heavy duty.

Just a word of caution for anyone installing a headache rack or tool box. The beds on these trucks are extremely thin and subject to damage.

I installed a steel headache rack on my truck when it had about 200 miles on it. Then I used it hard on rough roads pulling a gooseneck trailer loaded with round bales of hay for 3 days and about 300 miles. The headache rack vibrated enough to crack the sheet metal under the front of the mounts. The insurance damage claim was about $1100.

The solution for me was steel bed rail caps, then mount the headache rack on top of the bed rail caps. No more problems. The same thing would apply to the tool boxes if you are going to put any kind of weight in them or drive on rough roads. I think GM sells a support kit for the tool boxes. Good luck.
    T.C.--2001 Crew Cab, 4x4, LS, Short box, Duramax/Allison, Sunset Orange<BR>e-mail--t_c_mallett@hotmail.com

I have to agree as well Rawson-Koenig is top quality. I have a polished Diamond Plate one in my '02 and it's by far the best box I have ever owned. The latches are of the highest quality I have seen

GMC
    <b>\'02 2500HD - 435 RWHP/774 LB-FT on #2 ONLY..<br />HOT Juice,VA Box,Predator,AFE Stage II,Banks 4\"<br />RS9000\'s,Deep Pan,H2\'s & Pro-Comp 33\"<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/gmc2002dmax\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:gmc2002duramax@earthlink.net\">gmc20 02duramax@earthlink.net</a></b>