Thread: Using a clay bar on a new truck

Any one have any experience using clay to clean the surface of a new truck before waxing? Technique ideas would be appreciated? Can it hurt anything?
    Thanks
    SJR

I used Zaino bros. products including the clay bar. I followed directions using plenty of the carwash soapy water and went to town. All I have to say is S M O O O O o T H. Its alot of work but I feel it was worth it to have a super clean surface to work with rather than waxing over ground in dirt and grit. As for possible damage, make sure you thoroughly wash your truck first and make sure you keep the clay bar clean, do not drop it in the dirt and use it again without cleaning or replacing it !!!
    2001 2500HD LS Ext.Cab,short bed,D-max,Allison, Onyx black w/graphite int,16X8 Eagle Alloys, Leer 700 Bed cover, Western Ultra-Mount Plow <a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/stretch\" target=\"_blank\">pictures</a><br />2001 Polaris Sportsman 500HO<br />2000 HD Ultra Classic

Arrow

Z-18 CLAYBAR INSTRUCTIONS

Return to Application Tips

Z-18 ClayBar removes imbedded contamination from the paint finish that cannot be removed using conventional cleaning methods. It works like no cleaner, compound or chemical can and is safe for use on all paint finishes. The following contaminants are a general description of some of the contaminants that Z-18 ClayBar removes.

* Rail dust- is actually tiny, sharp bare metal shavings that can adhere and imbed to the paint finish and cause serious damage when left untreated. Over 70% of new vehicles are transported from the factory using the rail system, therefore rail dust is present on new vehicles. There are many instances where a vehicle travels or is parked near a railroad in which case the finish is infected with rail dust.
    * Brake dust- similar to rail dust, brake dust is also in the form of tiny, sharp bare metal shavings. In recent years, asbestos brake pads were replaced with metallic brake pads, which are actually brake pads made from tiny metal or metallic shavings. Anytime a vehicle is braking; brake dust is disbursed into the air and onto the paint finish. Since the brake dust is now actually tiny particles of bare metal, this form of brake dust can seriously damage the paint finish when left untreated.
    * Industrial fallout- is the general term used for pollution and can be found in many forms. Eventually, pollution settles onto the paint finish of all vehicles and can cause serious damage when left untreated.
    * Tree sap, Road tar, Bug residue, Paint overspray, acid rain deposits and other contaminants that adhere and imbed into the paint finish can cause damage when left untreated.

Why you should use Z-18 ClayBar?

* Contaminants that are left untreated can weaken the protective properties and even cause serious damage to the paint finish after a short time.
    * It is the only way to truly clean the paint finish and prepare the surface for protection with wax, polish and/or paint sealant. A "clayed" paint surface allows wax, polish and/or paint sealant to form a stronger bond to the paint finish.

How you should use Z-18 ClayBar?

* First you should thoroughly wash the vehicle to make sure that there is no dirt or debris on the paint finish. Although Z-18 ClayBar is not abrasive to the paint finish, if dirt or debris is present on the paint finish, scratches could result when Z-18 ClayBar is rubbed over a dirty surface. Using a dishwashing detergent such as Liquid Dawn diluted with water will make sure
    that the vehicle is free from grease, wax and oily film. (Mix 1 ounce of Liquid Dawn to 2.5 gallons of water for an effective cleaning solution)
    * Z-18 ClayBar should never be used on a hot surface or in direct sunlight. Using on a hot surface could cause Z-18 ClayBar to stick or "track" on the finish, however this can be removed by simply re-lubricating the surface and rubbing Z-18 ClayBar over the area again.
    * Z-18 ClayBar is designed to be used with a lubricant. The lubricant creates a "slick" surface for Z-18 ClayBar to glide across. In a spray bottle, mix
    TxDoc's Photos
    Member #5547

Anchorage, Alaska but living in Colorado because Uncle Sam knows best!!

I have been considering this on my truck too.
    After the world thaws up here in Alaska they run through and fill all of the pot holes with fresh tar and asphalt, needless to say my white truck is a magnet to tar...it is killing me.
    I think I will test it on the wifes minny van that can out run Nutn first!!

Thanks TxDoc! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2002 2500HD Crew Cab<br />Long Bed, LT, 4X4<br />Summit White (Alaskan Camo)<br />Line-X Bed Liner<br />Husky Floor Liners<br />Pulling a 2000 Jayco Qwest 240A<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/alaskadmax\" target=\"_blank\">My Pics</a><br />Member 6846

NutNbutGMC Guest

^....DAMMIT !!! I hate those mini-vans...You sure know how to hurt a guy

We have been water skiing here in TN for 6 weeks, already...

NutNbutGMC,
    I know its off subject, but what kind of ski boat you got or use. I'm buying one soon, you got any opinions ?
    2001 2500HD LS Ext.Cab,short bed,D-max,Allison, Onyx black w/graphite int,16X8 Eagle Alloys, Leer 700 Bed cover, Western Ultra-Mount Plow <a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/stretch\" target=\"_blank\">pictures</a><br />2001 Polaris Sportsman 500HO<br />2000 HD Ultra Classic

Check out www.zainobros.com for some info...
    Steve (Member #6089)<br /><a href=\"mailto:smbrown819@yahoo.com\">smbrown819@ya hoo.com</a><br />2002 LT 2500HD 4WD Crewcab Pewter/Graphite DuraMax/Allison<br /><a href=\"http://www.monkey.net/steve\" target=\"_blank\">(Mods and Miscellaneous Pics...Updated 08/10/03)</a>

stretch,

I have a Nautique. I feel their quality is superior to any other. I personally would not buy anything else. I have had ZERO problems in 250 hours. My next choice if I had to make one would be Malibu. I have two friends with them and they are pretty nice. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for

I've used the Clay Magic kit with great success on my old '93 Z-71, and with much trepidation on my '96 Caddy Eldo. Works great. Costs about $20 at Pep Boys for the clay, lubricant, and wax.
    Don't know how much the Z-18 Claybar costs??

Don't Fret, Good Luck,

txguppy

‘01GMC SLE 4X4 2500HD E/C D/A Pewter/Pewter <br />Michelin LTX M/S<br />Steelhorse OEM running boards<br />Roll Top Cover<br />Hadley Air Horns<br />Weathertech Floor Mats<br />Line-Xed Ranch Hand Grill Guard Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter<br />Phantom II Detector/Jammer, Fumoto, Amsoil Engine Oil<br />Transynd Tranny Oil<br />Underseat Storage Box<br />Rancho RS9000X Shocks

If you are going to Clay Bar your truck, dont forget to wash it WELL with DAWN Soap. It is excellent for stripping old wax and dirt. I actually wash it twice, then clay bar. You will be absolutely AMAZED at the amount of comtaminants you STILL pull off the paint surface. "Claying" a vehicle takes very little time, so why not? Do it and feel better. I clay my truck about every 6 - 9 months, or as needed.
    2001 JUICED GMC 2500HD SLE AlliMax, Longbed, Ext. Cab, 4X4 Summit White, G80 Differential, Husky Liners, Black UWS Toolbox, Black Westin Nerfs, Black Replacement Front and Rear Bumper, Black Bedrail caps, Autopage 2 way LCD Alarm remote start,JL Audio, Hella, Cobra, ProComp Mud Terrains, Tekonsha Prodigy Controller, Fumoto, Rhino Liner, 400 Watt Inverter, Pioneer XM Radio<br />KENNEDY 4\" Exhaust. 100,000 miles on January 31,2003!!<br /><a href=\"http://home.att.net/~markstanco\" target=\"_blank\"><b>PHOTOS UPDATE 11/02</b></a><br /><br />Gutter Pipe is your friend. Leafblower is your enemy.

Thumbs up

I used Mothers brand Clay Bar Kit. It did a good job removing the rail dust. $15.00 @ Kragen Auto.
    2002 GMC D/A Combo. C/C S/B Summit White 4X4. <br />Westin Platinum Series Step Bars.<br />285 TOYO\'s on Ultra Wheels<br />Spary in Bed Liner.<br />X-Monitor.<br />A couple of 10\" Subs behind the <br />seat.<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/gmcwojo\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/gmcwojo</a>

Smile

I'm gong into the big city tomorrow to get a clay bar. I was wondering if it needed cleaning or scraping to keep it clean while using it? Or does the dirt it collects fade into the bar? Any hints out there from all you experts?
    2001 GMC Extended Cab, Pewter (what else), SLT 3500 4X4 Duramax/Allison Line-X, Billet Grille, J&J stainless running boards, Snugtop Tonneau Cover, Striping by Bridge, Jordan 2020 brake controller, Ultra forged alum wheels, 30-gallon cross bed fuel-and-tool box.

NutNbutGMC Guest

^.....Stretch.. I have a Mastercraft. Kanton mentioned a Nautique. They are excellent boats as well. Also, consider the Malibu. It is an excellent product, up and coming in the market place. I have a 25 footer Malibu on order for 2k3. I have the 19' skier Mastercraft. It's my third Craft. No problems from any of them, 'cept that dang older model with the Holly 650 carb. If you're looking to buy, contact me. I can steer you in most any direction. I have been fooling with boats and boat people all of my life.
    crb862@aol.com

Chuck

mattb5150 Guest

Talking

I just got the Mothers clay bar kit at Walmart for $13.99. This is great it really shows on a white truck, pulls out all the little black grit from the paint that would otherwise take forever with rubbing compound. I used to detail professionally and can't believe my old boss didn't teach us about this, or is it relatively new?

Matt B.

Clay-barring a paint job and then applying a good finish is absolutely top-notch.

The clay bar procedure is easy and rewarding.

Does a tremendous job on windows as well.

Relax, play more golf.

w/t
    2001 black truck, powerful engine,<br />pneumatic tires (4), <br />2-way glass, fully-upholstered inside seating, 12volt dc lighting, one-man steering wheel,interior heating, wipers, aftermarket 8-track...more.

Wink

mattb5150

What department did you find the Mothers clay bar kit at Wal-Mart? I asked in the automotive section and they did not know what I was talking about.

On a side note, very interesting nickname, do you know the meaning of "5150" as far as used in law enforcement or health care?

George
    2001 Chevy 2500HD, LT, ExtCab, 4X4, DMax/Allison, Lt Pewter Metallic/Lt Grey Int. 90 gal aux tank (auxtank.com), Ranch Hand Frontend replacement and Cowboy rear bumper.<br />Jorden Brake Controller<br />2001 32RK Alpenlite

Question

Like a 10-96 or a mental case?
    TxDoc's Photos
    Member #5547

I just received my Zaino order the other day. The price for the clay bars were $16.99 for two in the container. I also purchased the Zaino car wash concentrate and it was amazingly easy to do.

I have used Mothers Clay Bar in the past but the Zaino one is softer feeling and is YELLOW??

Oh well my truck looks awsome and the wax is by far the best I have ever used.

I used to use Maguires wax and sometimes Mothers as well.

Definately worth it though.

GMC
    <b>\'02 2500HD - 435 RWHP/774 LB-FT on #2 ONLY..<br />HOT Juice,VA Box,Predator,AFE Stage II,Banks 4\"<br />RS9000\'s,Deep Pan,H2\'s & Pro-Comp 33\"<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/gmc2002dmax\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:gmc2002duramax@earthlink.net\">gmc20 02duramax@earthlink.net</a></b>

mattb5150 Guest

Cool

George,

I'm 5150 because I write Timber Harvesting Plans for a living [img]smile.gif[/img] Check right next to all of the other waxes and cash wash stuff in the automotive department. I can believe none of those guys knew where it was. It's kind of hidden if they have them at all.

Matt B.

Wink

Mattb5150

Thanks, I guess I will have to look for myself. I should have known better than to just ask them. I find the customer service at Wal-Mart leaves a lot to be desired.

No, your not 5150 for writing timber harvest plans. Until the wacko's stop using wood when building "thier" homes there will be a need for timber harvest plans. I know one of those enviro-wacko's, she was making some comments one day and I asked her about deck around her home. Her deck is all redwood but she totally missed the point.

George
    2001 Chevy 2500HD, LT, ExtCab, 4X4, DMax/Allison, Lt Pewter Metallic/Lt Grey Int. 90 gal aux tank (auxtank.com), Ranch Hand Frontend replacement and Cowboy rear bumper.<br />Jorden Brake Controller<br />2001 32RK Alpenlite