Thread: Shock absorber bolt torque?

Earlier there was a discussion on this board (I think?) about a shock bolt coming loose, and the fact that they really need to be torqued down HARD. The GM manual calls for 70 ft/lb on the rear, and 59 ft/lb on the front bottom, 15 ft/lb on the front top. I belive Mr. Kennedy said something about really getting on them with the impact wrench. Any recommendations as to actual torque settings other than those above? I am about to install new Bilsteins tonight on my new truck, and would like to torque them enough that they don't fall off!!!
    2003 Silverado CC/4X4 D/A SB, Luverne S/S Nerf Bars, Leer 100R Cap, Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover, Bed Rug, Bilsteins.

If you don't mind me asking where did you find the Bilsteins and how long of a wait did you have.
    I have been waiting nearly a month. To answer your question (well not answer) I usually just put them on good n tight with a box end wrench. I'm sure someone will chime in with the numbers.
    2002 2500HD CC D/A <br />Post Mega filt., Lighted TTT mirrors, K&N Air Filt, Bilstein <br />B&W Gooseneck/5th, Oil guard, <br />Tekonsha Prodigy, Lift Pump, Line-x<br />Air Lift Bags & Load Controller II <br />Pics. <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/abear130\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/abear130</a>

Got them at central4wd dot com. They had them in stock, at $64.95 each, $10 shipping for the four of them. Ordered Saturday afternoon, got them yesterday.
    2003 Silverado CC/4X4 D/A SB, Luverne S/S Nerf Bars, Leer 100R Cap, Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover, Bed Rug, Bilsteins.

Cool

Run'em down till the impact gun stops. Worked for me. I have NO idea how you would torque the top on the fronts anyway.
    02 2500HD LT Dmax/Alli CC 4x4 Lt Pewter, Tan in, Amsoil, transynd, Bilsteins, Amsoil Air Filt, JK 4\" Exht, RollnLock, Rhino Liner, Remote start, alarm, High Idle, SPA DG211, Pred, Mega, Fumoto, Remote oil bypass, XL Tranny cooler, XM, Cell kit

OK...probably stupid question. If you don't have an air impact wrench, am I better off not doing this with hand tools and taking it somewhere to have them installed?

The actual torque settings left mine lose, so I tightened them to the German torque specs -- GUTENTITE!

Front top - tightened til the rubbers compressed some (look at stock shock before you take them off

rest - tight as my wrench/ratchet would let me without getting too carried away
    Randy<br />2003 2500HD C/C D/A Pewter -Retrax Cover -Michelin LTX M/S 265/75E-16\'s -Smittybuilt Step Rails -Banks Exhaust -CA Hot Juice -Predator - Kennedy Headlight Harness -SPA 211

OK, nother probably stupid question. The bilstein directions say a front end alignment is needed after shock replacement. New truck, 1300 miles here. Is that necessary?

Colorado---No it is not nessary to have the front end Aligned when you replace the shocks. Just put them on and enjoy the ride. and yes you can do it with just plain old hand tools. Just takes a little longer that air tools, but still an easy job to do.
    2001 Chevy 2500 HD Extended Cab Duramax, Allison Tran. 4X4. Rino bed liner, westin step rails, Fumoto Valve.<br />Set The Hook Hard. Kick the Tires and Light the Fire.

Well, it is done! The proper german torque specs were used , and I am happy to say I am really enjoying the better ride!

Thanks so much to everyone for the help!

Another reason to buy products from a reputable, dieselpage.com sponsor. Other than just suppling free experience and info to this page, Mr. Kennedy will gladly talk your ear off on the phone, and support the products he sells, (and probably stuff he didn't sell).
    02 Chev 2500HD Dmax/Allison X Cab LB 4WD
    Attitude, Monster Exhaust with Big Head, Michelin 265/75/16E LTX M/S on Alcoa Classics for summer hauling, Cooper Discover 238/85/16E M/S on PYO's for winter, B&W Goose Hitch with Companion 5th Wheel, Highway Products Tool Chest, Jordan Ultima 2020, Frederico sway bars front & rear, Air Lift SD Bags

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly!!! Unfortunately, these little buggers seem to be in short supply, and Mr. Kennedy had posted earlier about his backorder problems with Bilstein. I called about a dozen places until I found someone that had them in stock. I was in a bit of a hurry as I have a 3000 mile round trip vacation coming up next week with the wife, kids and boat, and my wife was rather unhappy with the ride of the stock shocks. Since this mod was her idea (nay, it was a command), I could not let her down!

John