Thread: Radar detectors in Canada? Legal?

A question for the Canadians. As I plan my trip to BC this year, is a radar detector legal up there? I have heard rumor that said "no".

What are the rules, please.
    01 3500 EC LS 4X4 D/A, 1999 Caribou 11J Camper (4000lbs)<br />33,500 miles, 15,000+ plus w/camper on pulling a 6x12 cargo/toy trailer 3500lbs and 14.24 mpg avg. Love driving this truck...<br />nelsonb@uci.net <br /> <a href=\"http://www2.eou.edu/webcam/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www2.eou.edu/webcam/</a>

I hope so, I don't go anywhere without it.
    Cheers
    Bear
    Summit white 2002 Chev 3500 LT 4X4 CC Dmax, Outback stainless steel bushguard, KC Daylighter titanium offroad lights,110 gal. auxellery fuel tank / tool box combo, Lund bug deflector,DeeZee stainless steel grill insert, Dee Zee stainless running boards, Husky front and rear floor mats, Wabasto diesel fired heater, Juice 4.61, Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors, BD Exhaust Brake,Prodigy Brake Controller, BD X-Monitor, Kennedy Diesel light harness, Bilstiens shocks Alcoa Hot Shots with Michilin 235-85R16 LTX AT. pull a 30.5 ft Avion Westport 5th wheel trailer and a 2000 18FT Tahoe Fish and ski boat with a 4.3Lt LX in tandem, many more toys to come

Cool

Radar detectors are NOT legal in all Provinces. I think they are legal in Alberta and BC but I don't know about any of the others. I do know that you don't want to use it in Ontario. You won't have it when you leave if you do.
    2001 GMC 2500HD Ext cab SB Dmax 6 speed
    86 6.2D
    79 5.7D
    D.P. member # 1885
    Ontario Plate "DMAX DSL"

From my time hauling potash and other fertilizers out of Canada radar detectors are NOT legal in Manitoba or Saskatchewan, but that probably won't affect you unless you really take the scenic route .
    Wheat Whacker
    2001 Chevrolet 2500HD Crew Cab LB
    1995 Chevrolet 2500HD Ext. Cab LB
    6.5L Turbo Diesel HO (I know it ain't a DMAX but I can pretend, right)
    Amsoiled from one end to the other
    Road Warrior Class V Bumper with a "When I Grow Up I Want To Be a Kenworth" Bumpersticker

Another thing to leave at home is your handgun. The Canadian government has a bad case of handgunaphobia, and will arange an extended stay for you there if you are caught with one in the country.
    2001 2500HD D/A CC/SB 4x4<br />A.R.E. Z-series topper, CA 75-series boards, Bedrug, Fumoto valve, Amsoil air filter, Jan \'02 PCM updates,Transfer Flow 50 gal. crossbed aux. fuel tank, Bilstein shocks, 25 ft. Tahoe Transport toybox (9.6K loaded), Hensley hitch, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller.

Just called my sister in Ardrossan AB to find out what the scoop was on radar detectors so she called the Mounties and this is what they said:I just spoke to the authorities and they confirmed radar detectors are legal in Alberta, Saskatchewan & Manitoba. The person I spoke to didn't know about the other provinces. I hope this helps you.Thank my baby sister. Stu
    2002 GMC 2500HD D/A. CC. LB. INDIGO BLUE <br />Custom Lining bedliner,Quick & Easy hitch receiver,Snugtop cap,Trailback running boards,135 Gal. Auxtank,Moryde RL suspension,Alison deep sump, Jordan Ultima 2020 brake controller.<br />26\'Sunnybrook 26CKS TT,<br /> Blue Ox equalizing hitch,2 Honda EU2000i generators in parallel. <br />25\'Bayliner Flying Bridge cruiser.