Thread: Allison needs fluid,I need help?

Question

I'm getting ready for the 25,000 mile Allison trans fluid change...I appear to be in a small minority in that since I will be changing the fluid so often, I can't see spending all that money on synthetic .... I do NOT plan to drop the pan .... haven't been able to find how many quarts of Dextron III I need to add when I simply drain the fluid and change the spin-on filter ... don't want to take a chance on over filling so any info would be appreciated .... Jim
    \'02 3500 CC HD 4X4 LT D/A, Charcoal Gray Metallic,Juice 4.61, Loaded from end to end and most places in between

Jim

From anouther post......
    If your just draining=>STOCK SHALLOW PAN CAPACITY 7.4 QTS (ALL YOU CAN DRAIN)

If your flushing it will be=>TOTAL CAPACITY (DRY SYSTEM) W/SHALLOW STOCK PAN 12.7 QTS

It would be best to hold back a little on the refill and run through all gears idling pausing at each gear shift change and back to park pausing as above.....Recheck....This worked well for me each time I did it to get an accurate refill......Good luck.....

MAC

[ 10-19-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Jim, save what you drain out and measure it..Put the same amount back in the trans..

Good Luck.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2002 GMC...Dmax in Black of course..X-cab 4 by 4..<br />Goodmark Cowl Inducton Hood<br />Lund Screen front<br />Stainless nerf Bars<br />aux tank<br />Jardine 4\" Exhaust<br />and some more stuff

I just changed the trany filter and trany oil and the transfer case oil. I bought 3 US. gallons of transydyne, I only drained the oil pan in the trany. dont forget to clean the magnet in the old oil filter. No magnet in the transfer case.
    7.25 qts for the trany.
    2.00 qts for the transfer case.
    GMC 2002 DURAMAX, SLT, EXCAB SHORT BOX 2500HD, 4X4, AUTO
    ACCESS TONNEAU COVER, 3" STAINLESS TUBE STEPS
    JORDAN BRAKE CONTROLLER
    34ft 10,000 lb TRAILER, 50 GAL TRANSFERE FLOW TANK (total 76 gals)

Thumbs up

thanks for the info .... really do appreciate it ... Jim
    \'02 3500 CC HD 4X4 LT D/A, Charcoal Gray Metallic,Juice 4.61, Loaded from end to end and most places in between