Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allison Trouble

Well had a sad day yesterday, put my truck thru its first pulling job and it failed, allison has spewed 8liters of oil and not sure from where yet, mechanic thinks a failure of some pump??? got 32,000km on truck with out even a minor problem, trailer being pulled was around the 12,000lb mark thru the BC rockies, has anyone else had trouble with oil spewing out? even with that much weight behind would not drop below 80km/hr
    2001HD GMC 2500SLT<BR>high idle installed

Question

Only hint of a leak I've seen on mine was a loose (undertightened?) filter. It did leak quite a bit in a short time, but stopped after the filter was replaced.

It should be pretty obvious to your tech. as to where the leak may be. I'm SURE he has checked the filter. Anything else would have to be a major blow out. Good luck!
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Well a week later and still no truck, was told a bushing was bad which in turn affected the seal and then something to do with flywheel being replaced also, re-install and take for test drive and the laek is still there, new tranny to be put on order? seems like a very expensive fix to me for just a leak

NutNbutGMC Guest

^... May be expensive (but not for you), however, other than the inconvenience, it's the fix I would prefer.

Just $0.02

True enough, fix it right and get it back to me, just hope this is not a month wait

driller37
    The 2nd Ally that went out on me did the same thig, oil every where, they just replaced the tranny. it took 6 days to get a new one in and installed in Moose Jaw Sask. Get with Big Al and give him your VIN, he will be able to tell you what really happend to you tranny.
    Cheers
    Bear
    Summit white 2002 Chev 3500 LT 4X4 CC Dmax, Outback stainless steel bushguard, KC Daylighter titanium offroad lights,110 gal. auxellery fuel tank / tool box combo, Lund bug deflector,DeeZee stainless steel grill insert, Dee Zee stainless running boards, Husky front and rear floor mats, Wabasto diesel fired heater, Juice 4.61, Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors, BD Exhaust Brake,Prodigy Brake Controller, BD X-Monitor, Kennedy Diesel light harness, Bilstiens shocks Alcoa Hot Shots with Michilin 235-85R16 LTX AT. pull a 30.5 ft Avion Westport 5th wheel trailer and a 2000 18FT Tahoe Fish and ski boat with a 4.3Lt LX in tandem, many more toys to come

Thanks Bearman will do, hello Big Al are u out there VIN 1GTHK29181E279903

Big Al can you check mine that failed with a massive fluid leak also. Truck down for six days. New tranny installed no charge.
    VIN 1GCHK29161E319475

Sorry to hear about your tranny problems driller37.

Where's your truck being serviced at?
    2007 Chev. Silverado 3500 CC D/A 4WD LT Summit White/Charcoal Leather *J&J Running Boards *Cloud Rider SS Stone-Guards *Husky Front & Rear Floor Mats *Ventshade ventvisor deflectors *OEM Bug deflector *Putco door sill protectors *Custom Flow Elite louvered tailgate *Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller *Line-X box liner *Hijacker hitch
    2002 Citation 32.5TKS triple slide fiver
    Honda EU3000 generator

Hi Calgary, truck is being serviced at Can-bow Motors in Canmore, the latest i,ve found out is there is a non-serviceable bushing that is leaking, gm is replacing tranny and should be installed by Wed nite.

Update, recieved truck back with new tranny installed and all is well, excellent service and recommended to all, was told bushings were wore from loose flywheel as the flywheel was also replaced

GlenM,

A little birdie tells me that your original transmission has been located and is going back to Allison for teardown evaluation. I have a friend who is trying to get the pertinent information and if/when that happens, I'll let you know what was found.

Hopefully driller37 will see this post as well. That same birdie is watching for his transmission.

Cool
    New guy with the inside track
    Cheers
    Bear
    Summit white 2002 Chev 3500 LT 4X4 CC Dmax, Outback stainless steel bushguard, KC Daylighter titanium offroad lights,110 gal. auxellery fuel tank / tool box combo, Lund bug deflector,DeeZee stainless steel grill insert, Dee Zee stainless running boards, Husky front and rear floor mats, Wabasto diesel fired heater, Juice 4.61, Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors, BD Exhaust Brake,Prodigy Brake Controller, BD X-Monitor, Kennedy Diesel light harness, Bilstiens shocks Alcoa Hot Shots with Michilin 235-85R16 LTX AT. pull a 30.5 ft Avion Westport 5th wheel trailer and a 2000 18FT Tahoe Fish and ski boat with a 4.3Lt LX in tandem, many more toys to come

Thanks Buckman, look forward to seeing your findings on the cause of failure, so far got about 2,000kms on new tranny and all is well,

GlenM

The transmission removed from your truck was torn down and my sources have informed me that one of the torque converter lugs had a cracked weld. I'm told that this often occurs if and when the flexplate to converter bolts are improperly torqued or work loose. I believe that you stated on another thread that the starter was also replaced at the same time as the transmission. IMHO that would be a pretty good indication that the bolts for whatever reason were loose which caused the damage permitting the leakage.

driller37 - pleased to hear that your new tranny is working well. Had my truck delivered through Can-Bow Motors as well - seem like a nice group of people there. Haven't had any dealings with the service folks as yet.

Thanx for the update Buckman - it's so nice to be able to get the actual facts about things. Also reassuring to know that there's appropriate follow up which hopefully will result in improvements. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2007 Chev. Silverado 3500 CC D/A 4WD LT Summit White/Charcoal Leather *J&J Running Boards *Cloud Rider SS Stone-Guards *Husky Front & Rear Floor Mats *Ventshade ventvisor deflectors *OEM Bug deflector *Putco door sill protectors *Custom Flow Elite louvered tailgate *Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller *Line-X box liner *Hijacker hitch
    2002 Citation 32.5TKS triple slide fiver
    Honda EU3000 generator

Thanks Buckman for the update on GlenM tranny, mine i believe will also fall into that category, as the flywheel was involved in mine as well, advice to all is if your tranny starts downshifting to lower gears while driving and will not allow to shift into higher gears is to stop and check for tranny leak, this is a precautionary safeguard, had the tranny been able to have been serviced with the right servicable parts i would have had no trouble with there fix as i know i did not even come close to overheating the tranny and cooking it, to Calgary, the service people out at Can-Bow where excellent to deal with and would recommend to anyone

Buckman,

Thanks for the update!

Buckman,

About 2 months ago (if it's not too late):

1GCHK23122F162421

That tranny died around 300 miles...

Scott

SDWA

What I have found out so far is that your transmission was sent back to the manufacturing plant for teardown. Nowwww; if my mole can just get the details of what was found!!!

If I hear anything, you'll be the first to know.

How is your truck doing now with the replacement transmission? Is it performing to or beyond your wildest expectations?