Thread: rear locker noise

Question

I was backing up the other day and noticed about ten to fifteen feet in reverse (0-2mph) I felt a bump, like when shifting into drive. I thought I ran over something in the garage so thought nothing of it at the time (hopefully not the dog). But, now I notice it every time I back up anywhere, although it only comes from an angled turn, not dead straight, and only when warm. The fluid level is fine and it's got Redline synthetic 75w-90 in it with 4,000 on it and 14,500 on the truck. My thoughts are the locker, but why would it do that? Any thoughts?
    02 CC short,4X4,with BF7635 2 micron custom head prefilter and BF7639-D 1 micron post oem. 36,000 miles a year and loving every minute on the road.

It is normal for the locker to have noises and quirks to it. You notice it more in reverse because you are going slow.
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

I get the same noise and think it is the fuel sloshhing in the tank. See if it only happens when the tank is approx. 3/4 full. I have seen this in a number of GM pickups in the past. Sounds just like you hit something when you back up.
    \'02 3500 SLT D/A, vanAaken Smart Box E, Kennedy 4\" exhaust, Amzoil filter, Delvac 1, 34\' Carriage LS, Pullrite hitch, 225/70Rx19.5, Trailair Fifthwheel pin box.

dieselburb,

I think you just hit the throttle a little hard (Show off ) one tire broke loose and you felt the EATON lock.......Can be heard occasionaly and felt.....
    =>http://www.torquecontrol.eaton.com/prod6.htm
    =>http://www.torquecontrol.eaton.com/index.htm

My previous truck was a 98 with a limited slip rear....Talk about quirky,mine would occasionally "LOCK" after step on it hard in rev and then go forward ......Like your dragging one side???( I never was able to get out and watch !!)Tire squealing and all till it releases....My 98 would do it constantly.....

This Eaton did it once, but rounding a slow corner (drive thru D/D) forward with a little extra on the go peddle if you know what I mean.....I stopped, then was rolling forward, rounded a corner, dragging a$$, then a "CLUNK" it made when it unfroze.....Works fine as always, never did it again,yet,but would be scary to some one that it never happened to......As I knew right away cause of my experience with my 98......

I figure it was clutch and spring related in limited slip ......But no clutches in an Eaton..... My assumption in the Eaton is it made the revolution "LOCKED" and since my low speed did not come unlocked,or I didn't travel far enough.....Hit the next corner like a true posi and dragged one side as there was no "SLIP" and plenty of traction under very light throttle......So I would =>assume<= under the right conditions and at low speeds the lockers will be noisy .....Long as they arn't humming, whining,or clunking under normal situations and if you're able to spit on it after a jaunt on the highway and it doesn't sizzle like a egg in a hot frying pan your all set.......

MAC

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Sounds like the locker had one on my 99 at a hard turn it would stop the vehicle if just idling. tap the throttle and break one wheel lose and good to go. coming off the highway it got really bad always spun one wheel slower, wore out tires really fast. No Mac I wasnt wearing out the tire it was the truck, honest .....well i had to make them match!
    As for a good explanation for the bump I think its the locker engaging. ive felt it a million times. Do you notice it when only backing one direction?
    <a href=\"http://www.EGServicecompany.com/chev\" target=\"_blank\">My 2002 D/A 3500 CC LT</a>

As a matter of fact, it only makes the noise when backing from the right. Thanks guys, just wanted to know if it was normal as it didn't feel like anything I'd encountered before. It runs nice and cool, no humming and damn good grip when stomping rice (who always seem to notice the gauges, then end up reading them through the rear window ). No mods and this thing is still super-truck.
    02 CC short,4X4,with BF7635 2 micron custom head prefilter and BF7639-D 1 micron post oem. 36,000 miles a year and loving every minute on the road.