Thread: Steering bearing....GET IT DONE

Just got my truck back... dealership only had it for a week and didnt even get half of the stuff I needed done. But one thing they did do was the steering bearing. I didnt have much of a steering rattle, actually it was faint(felt like a loose shock) So they went ahead and got it. Let me tell you the truck has a totally different feel to it. It feels so solid and right on the money. Id get it done. Figured id let ya'll know. Bill
    2002 Dmax, A few 6.5\'s, And a 6.2 <br />Gmanjr96@aol.com

Steering bearing? Are you referring to the intermediate shaft, or is this something else? I have a clunk in my steering wheel and I'm wondering if the solution to your problem is the same one I should be getting done.
    2002 Chevy 2500HD CC SB; Westers PCM; PIAA eXtreme Whites; SUVLights headlight harness; PIAA airdam with PIAA fogs; Undercoated; PowerFlow mudflaps; Warn steps; Jeraco cap; Rhino; \"Green\" keys; 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers; Rancho RS9000x; Amsoil

Cool

i had mine done and it is the best thing that ever happened. i just returned from a trip and it steers perfect. it was well worth the trouble. dave p
    2001 2500 hd. long box, club cab, LT. trim 373 rear end 8.1 gas engine 4x4, allison transmission

Jim---Do a search on steering rattle and you should find out all you need to know on this subject. GM does have a bearing kit out for our HD's pertaining to the steering rattle or knock, what ever you want to call it.I found the gm site http://service.gm.com-techlink-html_en-pdf-200207 Try to copy and paste to get to this site and it has the information you are looking for. Hope this helps.
    2001 Chevy 2500 HD Extended Cab Duramax, Allison Tran. 4X4. Rino bed liner, westin step rails, Fumoto Valve.<br />Set The Hook Hard. Kick the Tires and Light the Fire.

Hi all,

The website:

http://service.gm.com-techlink-html_en-pdf-200207
    does not work anymore..... Any other sites for this
    GM imformation? Thanks.
    02 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, 4x4, Lucerix Mirrors, Fumoto valve, Amsoil air filter, <br />Kaydenco mudflaps, Hadley Air Horns, Lund Hood Protector, Prodigy,<br />2 micron Racor Post OEM fuel filter install photos:<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok</a>

02 Chev 2500HD D/A 2WD C/C S/B White/Graphite LS/Juice/KD Exh/Gauges/Mag-HyTek Diff Cvr<br />FB2600 Weekend Warrior<br /><a href=\"http://home.earthlink.net/~k-tuttle/\" target=\"_blank\">Various Pics</a><br /><a href=\"http://home.earthlink.net/~oildealer\" target=\"_blank\">Amsoil Products</a>

Do all HDs need the new steering bearing? Just wondering if my truck (K2500HD) is included, it was built May 05, 2002. I have noticed the steering loosen up a little since it was new, it has a little over 13,000 miles on it now.
    02 Chevy LT K2500HD Dmax/Alli EC SB Green tan leather, Amsoil fluids throughout (dual by-pass oil filters & air filter) Putco 4

Thumbs up

Crimedawg----copy and paste the site that Kent Tuttle put in his post and read the Tech-link about the steering bearing and you will know if you need the new bearing installed. The site I put in does not work, but Kent's does. Just scroll up the page until you see the steering bearing and read what it says.
    2001 Chevy 2500 HD Extended Cab Duramax, Allison Tran. 4X4. Rino bed liner, westin step rails, Fumoto Valve.<br />Set The Hook Hard. Kick the Tires and Light the Fire.

Timberline Guest

All of you have convinced me to take mine in since there is a diffrence in the the feel of the truck afterwards. Mine has only been annoying on wide curves and such. I'm going to take it in next week.

Can anyone tell me if this pertains to 2003 trucks also? Has the update been installed in 2003 GMC Sierra's and if so, what's the cut-in date? Thanks dave

Oh well, I should have read the tech page before posting, sorry and thanks for the info. Dave

I also would like to know if the fix applies to the 2003's or not. I looked at the link and the article dated July '02 listed 99-02. If anyone knows for sure, please post.
    \'03 GMC 2500HD EC LB, Duramax/ZF6, Line-X over the rail, ICI cab length running boards, Pro flaps mud flaps front & rear, Kennedy brite light harness waiting to go in...<p>TDP Member #8535

OK, my last post was not clear. What I meant was "can we assume that an article from July '02 that states the fix applies to 99'02 or does someone have other info that says the 2003's have a factory fix?"
    \'03 GMC 2500HD EC LB, Duramax/ZF6, Line-X over the rail, ICI cab length running boards, Pro flaps mud flaps front & rear, Kennedy brite light harness waiting to go in...<p>TDP Member #8535

Maybe I can't read, but I can't tell if this tells the years or not. Can anyone tell what years are affected by this and what trucks it pertains to?
    2002 3500 D/A Lt Pewter/Graphite CC Dually,\"Juiced\". Laverne SS Side Steps, DTA Mudflaps, Catch All floor mats, Lund bug catcher, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. Reese 20k 5th wheel hitch, JK headlight harness & bulbs, WOW! Autometer boost and EGT gauges, Schefenacker TTT Mirrors, 66 Vette 509 CI-800HP adrenalin machine, 89 Vette, Astro Bass boat/200HP Mercury, 97 Jeep Wrangler, 38ft WW Toy hauler,<br />So many toys, not enough time!

Vette Racer--The Tech link states, "1999-2002 Sierra or Silverado 2500HD and 1500HD pickups may comment about a rattle noise from the steering column, particularly during low speed parking lot maneuvers." Then it gives the part number and special tool for the bearing and tool. Don't know about the 2003's, but you would think if they knew they had a problem with the 99-02 models, that they would put the new bearing in the 03 models. But that is assuming alot out of the general.

Trippin Guest

My 03 developed the steering rattle at about 1500 miles. I'm familiar with it because my 1999 had the same problem. I haven't been back to the stealer yet mainly because I love the truck and can't stand the thought of giving it up for a day or two.

Angry

Its back:My steering is starting to make the same clunking and rattling sound that was fixed last year with the bearing update. It was tight and perfect for approx 6-8 months. It is the exact same thing' Any other fixes Steve
    2002 D/A CC S/B Pewter <br /><br />36 ford 2DR sedan Streetrod <br />2000 Yamaha SUV 1200 Waverunner<br />2002 VW Bug Red Turbo S<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=2damax\" target=\"_blank\"> 2DAMAX 2002 Chevy D/A & Mod\'s</a>

Angry

My '01 Suburban 2500 had this problem...the solution at the time was some special magic grease rather than replacing the input shaft. I had 2 input shafts on that truck and 2 applications of grease before I traded it in.

My '03 Dmax is starting to rattle as well. In a few thousand miles I'll bring it and have them apply the latest factory authorized bandaid to it.

It sure seems like a design flaw to me.

-Al
    '03 Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab ...towing my... '96 BMW 328is BMW CCA Club racer