Thread: Transynd Cost

I'm a few thousand miles away from changing the tranny oil. However, I called the local Allison shop here in Fresno,CA and he quoted me $45.32 a gallon for Transynd, no 5 gallon volumes. This must be the super duper California Transynd with the "fairy dust" added. What happened to the $125/5 gal prices I've seen on the board. Are there any other less expensive sources outside of Allison, is this just a rip off from this particular Allison dealer, or just a factor of buying in Kalifornia.
    03\' 2500HD CC 2WD Pewter Dmax Nick\'s pre-OEM secondary fuel filter. Line-X\'ed bed.

While I'm at it, how many miles are most of you changing the transmission fluid for the first time. I'm not towing any trailer yet. Just curious. Thanks
    03\' 2500HD CC 2WD Pewter Dmax Nick\'s pre-OEM secondary fuel filter. Line-X\'ed bed.

LanduytG Guest

You can use the Amsoil, its as good as Transynd and it cost less. $118 for five gallon and that includes shipping.

Greg

Cool.... looks like I'll be sending you another order soon. Thanks

mdrag Guest

Cool

Dmaxducker,

Check the Allison website:

www.allisontransmission.com

Choose the Salees and Service locator link along the top of the page and locate more dealers - you should be able to do much better on the price... I purchased Transynd for $125/5 gal pail at Stewart & Stevenson in Wichita Falls TX, and drove over 100 miles round trip to pick it up.

Although not an official GM recommendation, Allison recommends a SPIN ON FILTER only change at 5K miles - add only enough ATF to make up for the small amount lost with the filter change (6-8 oz guesstimate). Then follow the recommended ATF service intervals in your owner's manual/diesel supplement.

I switched over to the deep pan and Transynd at 5.5K miles and used approx 4 of the 5 gal to run through the Allison for a near complete changeover. No particular significance to the 5.5K mileage to switch - that's when I had all the parts, Transynd, and time to do it. Good luck.

OC_DMAX Guest

I replaced my trans fluid and changed the filter at 5k miles. This was at the recommendation of individuals on the forum who have repair/sevice experience with the Allison transmission. There are several detailed threads that describe exactly how to flush the majority of the factory fluid out to the transmission/cooler system. I used 4 gallons.

In So Cal, I purchased the Transynd fluid for $30/gal at Valley Detroit Diesel Allison in Mira Loma. They have several other locations in the LA area. Also, the spin on oil filter was $8. I searched the website Mdrag mentioned and noticed that Valley Detroit Diesel Allison also has a shop in Fresno (tel 559-486-6900). Call them and see if they have similar prices.

Good luck,
    Alan

Transynd around here is $28 gal, $130 5 gal.

Hoot- could you tell me which allison shop in your area did you get your deep pan parts and transynd? I'm ready for another project and I wouldn't mind a little drive south to pick what I need. Thanks.
    Josh
    \'02 2500HD D/A CC/LB 4X4<br />Autometer EGT (Pre & Post Turbo)/Boost Guages<br />Hot Juice-Predator-Banks Monster Exhaust-Stanadyne Lift Pump-Mega<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/bigsmithers\" target=\"_blank\">Pictures</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:kussbrostenter@aol.com\">kussbrosten ter@aol.com</a>

Thanks OC_DMAX and others,

{Valley Detroit Diesel Allison also has a shop in Fresno (tel 559-486-6900)}

Yeah, thats who quoted me $45.32 a gallon. Seems like they are way out of line from the norm. I think I will call them tomorrow and tell them that. If no drop in price, I'll look elsewhere or go with the Amsoil.

Tell them the other Allison dealers quoted you $29 per gallon and see what happens. You can always have it shipped and still save money. I just bought 3 gallons at the Allison dealer next to the Oakland Airport and it was $29 per gallon. Filters are $8.53.

I changed the filter at about 6,500 and then switched to the deep pan and TranSynd at about 15K. I just flushed the fluid and changed the filter again and replaced the TranSynd at 25K. Used TranSynd again as great stuff and highly recommended by Allison and GM. I do a bit of towing in the summer and wanted the lower Tranny temps with more and better fluid. I believe I am at about 99.999% pure TranSynd now and based on extended drain from Allison I probably won't change it again for 100+K. I'am done with that for next 5 years LOL. Nothing else on the market will let you go that long.......period!

Take the time and trouble to get the TranSynd, it's well worth it. If you are going to be towing consider the deep pan and long pickup screen as well. Cheap investment!

Good Luck
    \'01 Chevy EC/2WD/SB, T/F 45 gal, Delvac 1, TranSynd, deep pan, MAG drain plug. Escalade handles & painted bumper capto. After market grill, billet bowtie, Stockland cover, no side trim, no juice, no gauges, nuttin but stock! Nicktane Big CAT Pre-OEM. Gone, but not forgotten.

'07 Crew Cab LBZ stock all the way except added 45 gallon Transfer Flow tank and billet grille. Great truck also now gone, but not forgotten.

'12 Crew Cab stock for a few more days LOL

jbplock Guest

Mobil 1 ATF (PAO Synthetic) is another option for $5.00/quart at Autozone.

Here's an idea, I just flushed 3 gallons of TranSynd out of my truck and it is sitting in the original gallon jugs. This TranSynd has low miles (9,756 to be exact) and is good for another...Oh let's say 50-75K. It's about 98% pure TranSynd with 2% DEXIII.

Anyone interested......I'll sell it for $10 per gallon and I will pay the shipping!! Such a deal. If no reply in 26 hours I will put it on EBay and sell it to the highest bidder.....LOL [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    \'01 Chevy EC/2WD/SB, T/F 45 gal, Delvac 1, TranSynd, deep pan, MAG drain plug. Escalade handles & painted bumper capto. After market grill, billet bowtie, Stockland cover, no side trim, no juice, no gauges, nuttin but stock! Nicktane Big CAT Pre-OEM. Gone, but not forgotten.

'07 Crew Cab LBZ stock all the way except added 45 gallon Transfer Flow tank and billet grille. Great truck also now gone, but not forgotten.

'12 Crew Cab stock for a few more days LOL

Kennedy Guest

I paid $40 plus in a pinch. Couldn't sit down for a while after that one ...

------------------------------------------------------
    Hoot- could you tell me which allison shop in your area did you get your deep pan parts and transynd? I'm ready for another project and I wouldn't mind a little drive south to pick what I need. Thanks.
    Josh
    ----------------------------------------------------

Josh,

I get my stuff close to where I work. I work in Moorestown, NJ, just over the Betsy Ross Bridge.

I get my stuff at Johnson & Towers Detroit Diesel/Allison.

Johnson & Towers, Inc.

2021 Briggs Rd.
    Mount Laurel, NJ 08054
    USA

Thanks Hoot- This is really wierd but I was down there today. Near the intersection of 38 and 73 there is a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer. For the next 4 weeks there will be a 60' x 220' tent in their parking lot. Sections of that tent are from my tent rental business in Allentown. We work with a company in Worchester, Mass., and they needed some of our sections to complete the tent. Will stop by the allison shop next time down there. Thanks again.
    Josh

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: GM Smitty ]

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: GM Smitty ]</p>
    \'02 2500HD D/A CC/LB 4X4<br />Autometer EGT (Pre & Post Turbo)/Boost Guages<br />Hot Juice-Predator-Banks Monster Exhaust-Stanadyne Lift Pump-Mega<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/bigsmithers\" target=\"_blank\">Pictures</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:kussbrostenter@aol.com\">kussbrosten ter@aol.com</a>

Then you were a couple of miles from me today. Johnson and Towers is just north on 38.

I called Pacific Detroit Diesel-Allison (Medford, Ore) and
    they found me a dealer in Fremont CA (about 50 miles away)
    to get my 5 gal. pail for $136.50

The service manager at Pacific Detroit Diesel-Allison
    also said that Allison will *not* honor the extended
    warrenty unless Transynd is used. I assume this is
    our 100,000 mile warrenty.
    02 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, 4x4, Lucerix Mirrors, Fumoto valve, Amsoil air filter, <br />Kaydenco mudflaps, Hadley Air Horns, Lund Hood Protector, Prodigy,<br />2 micron Racor Post OEM fuel filter install photos:<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok</a>

Unless somebody from GM says otherwise, the people from Allison only seem to know about the equipment they are responsible for. The "extended" warranty is for non GM pickups only. We do not get the extended Allison warranty, period.

Can anybody from Allison put this to bed?

I purchased mobil 1 atf at autozone and recieved the "clerk can't count discount." Asked for 20 quarts and got 22 for the price of 20.
    2001 Red D/A 4x4 Standard Cab Autometer Ultra-Lite Boost/EGT, KD4&lt;5, RJ, HI/ODL, 285x75BFGATs<br /> <a href=\"http://www.mudbogg.com/gallery/gallery1/0077.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.mudbogg.com/gallery/gallery1/0077.html</a>