Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lucerix Mirrors - Again

JLee Guest

Some time back I read a thread where folks were giving dimensions regarding how much their X-Mount mirrors protrude from the side of the truck. I'm very interested because, 1) I have a small garage, and 2) I want to be able to REALLY see well to the rear. My recollection is there was a lot of variance in the measurements, probably because its hard to determine where and how everybody measured.

I'd like to take another shot at it. Would several of you folks with Lucerix mirrors be willing to give me the total width from the outside edge of the passenger mirror to the outside edge of the driver-side mirror - both with the mirrors compressed and extended? I think it should be pretty easy to lower both windows and run a tape across the inside of the cab from edge to edge.

Thanks

Jim

I just went and measured mine. In=97, Out=104
    2001 GMC 2WD 2500 HD D/A CC Long Bed 6500 lbs.<br /><b><a href=\"http://www.airliftcompany.com/superduty.htm\" target=\"_blank\">AirLift Superlifts</a></b> , <b><a href=\"http://www.lucerix.com/xmount.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Lucerix Mirrors</a></b><br /><b><a href=\"http://www.fumotovalve.com/merchant.cfm?id=88&step=2\" target=\"_blank\">Fumoto Drain Valve</a></b> , Delvac 1<br /><b><a href=\"http://www.pecuniary.com/synthetics/bypass/dualremote.html\" target=\"_blank\">Amsoil Dual Remote Oil Filter</a></b><br /><b><a href=\"http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=18009&src=SRCH&tcode=37\" target=\"_blank\">Chieftain Air Horns</a></b><br /><b><a href=\"http://www.duallydepot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">53 Gal Fuel Tank Toolbox Combo</a></b><br /><b><a href=\"http://www.dtacorp.com/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">DTA Running Boards</a></b><br /><b><a href=\"http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm\" target=\"_blank\">Dakota Digital Gauges</a></b><p><b><a href=\"http://www.sunnybrookrv.com/\" target=\"_blank\">2001 Sunnybrook 31ft. BWFS</a></b><br /><b><a href=\"http://www.precisiontemp.com/RV-500Page1.html\" target=\"_blank\">Precision Temp Tankless Water Heater</a></b><br /><b><a href=\"http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/finisterre/1228/jorjan/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Jordon Ultima Controller</a></b><br />Honda EU 3000 Generator

Kennedy Guest

You do know they fold in and detent in the out position don't you?

Just measured...

In was 97 1/4 "
    Out was 104 3/8"
    01 GMC 2500HD LB7/Allison Ext Cab LWB
    Alberta Plate "Duramax"
    Member # 2191

Speaking of these mirrors, mine are now installed and are vibrating with every little bump in the road. It's distracting since the image you see out of the corner of your eye is always moving around.

What's up with this?? For $400+ I would have thought they'd be a little steadier.

And the truck now has a new name - Dumbo. These mirrors are HUGE!!!
    2002 2500HD 4X4 LS EXC SB D/A Indigo Blue

I was wondering about the vibration level my self. Also I notice that there is a plastic insert in these mirrors that wraps around, is there a turn signal option available if you remove the insert? If not maybe they should think about it.
    2002 Chev 2500HD with 3500HD rear springs, Ext. Cab Long bed, 4X4, 8.1L, Allison, 4.10 Limited Slip,Mag-Hytec cover, K&N Fuel injection performance intake, Uniden CB & Alinco ham radios, Smiths Ultimate spray in bed liner,Lund bug deflector, Torklift camper tie downs,Lance 810,

I have had my Lucerix mirrors for a few months now and have been somewhat concerned about the vibration problem. We just completed a 1,400 mile trip from Indio CA to Vancouver, B.C. up I-10, Hwy. 99 and I-5. When I installed the Bugflector II it appeared that the vibration increased although I am not convinced that it was as a result of the airflow change or just the road conditions. On the trip home I noticed that the wind caused the mirrors to vibrate, as did the cement sections of the highway. Driving on smooth pavement with no wind, no vibration. I check to make sure the nuts are tight about once a month and that seems to help. We pull a 35 ft. 5th. Wheel and I find the mirrors function well.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    2002 GMC 3500 HD SLT extended cab 4x4
    DMAX/ALLISON - BD Exhaust Brake

JLee Guest

Thanks for the measurements.

On the vibration issue - seems like I read another thread where they say you really have to crank down the bolts. Try a search, I think it was on this forum.

Jim

OK, I had read just about every post on these mirrors and was about to order them (today) and now I am second guessing the vibration concerns.

How much to they vibrate, and do they all?

I only need them for the occasional camping venture and would prefer not to do 80% of my solo driving with a vibration that isn't there with the stock ones.
    2002 Chevy 4x4 CC D/A <br />Jayco 325BHS <br /> <br />http://community.webshots.com/user/majburns

Exclamation

I don't have mine yet, but I also have a small garage. My solution will help MABurns' "80%" problem and JLee's small garage problem, I intend to remove them and reinstall the factory mirrors when I'm not towing the camper. It's been repeatedly said here that the install job is under 5 minutes. It takes me longer than that to raise the pressure in the rear tires in preparation to hook up, or lower it when returning to "regular" service...no big deal.
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC D/ZF SB Fire Red 2WD no longer the fastest stocker up the hill at the TDP Pull Off. -sold-
    2004 Chevy Suburban 5.3L 2WD
    1996 GMC Sierra 1500 5.0L 5sp 2WD LB

Kennedy Guest

Colorado Kid,

GREAT POINT! As for vibration, it seems that some have it and some don't. I believe it leans towards those that do not have a problem, plus the fastener tightening thing. What you also have to remember here is there is much more glass here, and no matter what you do, a mirror that sticks out farther will be prone to more vibration....

JLee Guest

Colorado Kid - good point - If it REALLY is a 5 min job!! AND for mechanically "challenged" folks like me! When are you going to get your mirrors? I would sure like to have a look at some installed.

Thanks

Jim

I've had my Lucerix mirrors for over a year and I cannot detect any vibration, although I seldom drive over 75-80 mph. You get used to the size and will not likely change them back and forth to the OEM. Those mirrors are useless. Why go back?
    2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 D/A LS Regular Cab Una-Goose Hitch, Line-X, Westin CP/SS Nerf Bars, Lucerix Mirrors. Took delivery 12/8/00. Virginia DURAMAX plates.

Thumbs up

I have had mine for less than 9 hours. They just came today wich was a pleasant surprise as "somebody" said they would arrive around the middle of the month. The install is VERY easy, so swapping between them and the stockers would be a snap.Why anyone would want to is beyond me though cause these are MUCH better,lots of vision and to me look great. Going back to the stock ones would be like slapping the 245's back on. Just used them around town today (45 mph or less), with no vibration. Will give them a real test on the hiway tommorrow. Thanks John.
    02\'LT CC/SB D/A Grey/Graphite W/Everything. Modern Python Wheels,Line-X,Putco 4\" SS nerfs,Lucerix mirrors,Amsoil air filter,Husky Liners,EGR carbon fiber B/guard,APC carbon fiber Euro Tails,APC clear corners,Husky splash guards,GMC bright side moldings,Kennedys\' 70-100W headlight harness, PIAA air dam and 520 ion crystal fogs,Draw-Tite class v receiver,Bilsteins,Fumoto, HOT Juice,Banks 4\",BD exhaust brake,O.D. lockout,Autometer Phantom guages,Escalade bezel and guage cluster,Sound system to compliment this fine truck,Many #\'s of sound deadener,100% transynd,all else Amsoil,Zaino stuff inside and out.####UNDERSTANDING WIFE! *01\' Nordic Fox 27F TT * 01\' Pro-Circuit YZ 250 <a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/darrell3\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

Talking

I drove around for about 2,000mi with my Lucerix mirrors on, no vibration whatsoever, but I had them so tight the door metal was bending slightly (had to get the mirrors flush.)

It truly is a 5 min job, even less if you use a deep socket 10mm on a drill motor...

I took mine off for cruising around town because even when pulled in, they were very close to the other trucks I blew past on the fwy... guess how CA adds more lanes to the fwy. They just paint narrower lanes!

Regards, Steve
    \'02 2500HD 2WD LS, grey, CC, SB, D/A, locking diff., alloys, trailer and towing pkg. Delivered 11/09/01<br />So far:<br />Juice ver 3.61c, Max Power Plug, PS2000 propane, Gibson Performance dual exhaust, 255/85-16 Dunlop Rover A/Ts<br />Pillar mounted SPA Boost/EGT/oil press./oil, tranny, diff. temp gauges, Valentine One<br />Aiwa CD/MP3 head, 4- Pioneer TS-C1653 6.5\" component spkrs, 2-10\" Tsunami subs, 1200W of Visonik amps<br />Jordan 2020 Ultima Brake Controller, Lucerix mirrors, Line-X, Bed X-tender, DeeZee running boards<br />Peragon folding bed cover, Rancho RS9000 shocks<br />PIAA headlights, Power tailgate lock, Invinca-shield, Husky flaps and tinted windows <br />Mag-Hytech diff. cover, Allison deep sump, Transynd, Amsoil air filter and gear lube, Fumoto valve<p>Up next:<br />high idle, Spare fuel tank?<br /><a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/sfrakes/2002_silverado\" target=\"_blank\">Truck Pictures</a>

Kennedy Guest

Motovet,

The last shipment caught me off guard. I had just received 4 sets of Dodge mirrors (ordered by mistake) and was kicking myself because the next order wouldnt be in for a while. Fed Ex pulls in the following Monday with 5 more GM sets!!! Tuesday he drops off another display unit. Now I have 3 display units. Too bad they are all RH mirrors!

I have had my mirrors on for about three months and have no vibration. I did call Lucerix and ask them for a torque figure on the bolts. They gave me one (don't remember what it was but used a micro wrench on it). They seem big but if you pull a trailer you will love them. I don't think I will ever drive close enough to another vehicle to scrape them off. Some of the bridge repair jobs in the West are VERY TIGHT and I haven't come close to them (though my eyes got real big)
    Used to worry that I'd hit them with my trailer --- no more.

They are pricey but well worth it. If they are vibrating, tighten them up. They will stop.

Good luck,
    Bob
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A, CC/SB,<br />Olympic White, *Manik SS brush guard and nerfs, *Hella driving lamps, Velvet rides, *HD Air Lifts and Compressor, *Snugtop bed cover, *Linex, *Yakima rails on cover (mt.bikes), *Amsoil 2 stage airfilter. *Pioneer XM Radio. *SUBSTANTIALLY upgraded speakers,<br />Amp and Sub. *One piece drive shaft. *Mag-Hytec diff.cover, <br />*43 gal across the bed aux.tank (American Tank), *Lucerix pwr / heated mirrors, *Allison deep pan and transyd, *Street Pilot III GPS. *Suburban-type lighted <br />double sun visors, homelink system,steering wheel stereo controls, *Kennedy

mdrag Guest

Cool

My PS Lucerix has a slight vibration sometimes - usaully when it is really windy and blowing from a certain direction. Really not a big deal as long as it does not get worse.

The OEM mirrors on my '92 Burb were MUCH MUCH worse as far as vibration - they were replaced twice, once under warranty and the second time after losing a battle with the garage - still vibrated.

The width of the Lucerix mirrors (non-extended) comes in really handy as a guide for the width of the dually - if the mirrors clear easily the rear duallys should clear - if it's close - procede with caution.

JLee,

Well, I have DTA Running Boards in boxes in the Garage, and the Reese 16K Hitch with slider also in boxes in the garage. I don't want to order any more projects, no matter how small, before I get the ones I already have done. I'm taking some Graduate level classes and have two small boys... The homework load looks fairly light this weekend, maybe I'll get the boards on so the boys can climb in. I'll let you know when I get my mirrors, and you can have a look at them. I'll need them by mid June at the latest, cause I'm going to tow the Camper up to the Y-camp at Grandby.
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC D/ZF SB Fire Red 2WD no longer the fastest stocker up the hill at the TDP Pull Off. -sold-
    2004 Chevy Suburban 5.3L 2WD
    1996 GMC Sierra 1500 5.0L 5sp 2WD LB

Mine don't vibrate at all.... I have had them on my truck for almost a year now.

[ 04-06-2002: Message edited by: AB_DURAMAX ]</p>
    01 GMC 2500HD LB7/Allison Ext Cab LWB
    Alberta Plate "Duramax"
    Member # 2191