Thread: Oil Clooler lines and Remote Filters

Hansh Guest

I have my new engine installed, with a new oil cooler. I am running a dual remote Amsoil filter system. I have new aftermarket lines, looking at the cooler lines and lines to the remote filter, I am thinking I can eliminate two of the oil lines.

Can I run the oil through the dual filters and then through the coolers and back into the filter adapter, and then either block off the stock cooler line outlet and inlet (on the block) or run a loop from out to in? Or could I run a line from the block to the dual filters to the cooler and back into the block and either block off the filter inlet/outlet or put a loop on it? Any other ideas how this will work properly? I want to make sure I am not taking oil away from anywhere.

I would like to eliminate some hoses, (fewer to leak) and clean up the engine bay at the same time.

Hansh Guest

Any Ideas?

I don't think so. Just get a set of custom hoses made for the remote filter head and the cooler and forget about leaks.
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

Hubert Guest

I would say not a good idea to block off oil cooler lines. Thats the first place oil goes to from the pump.

Personally I think a remote mounted filter helps cool oil at least on a 4x4. I have never understood having the filter so close to exhaust manifold.

Oil out to cooler from the rear port (port closer to flywheel).
    Oil return from cooler to front port.

Forgive this typing but from the GM manual:

A gear type oil pump pressurizes the oil with an enclosed pressure regulator. The oil pump uses bushings in the gears and a plate support the gear shafts. An oil pump drive operates the iol pump. The oil pump drive is driven by the camshaft.
    The pump draws un-pressurized oil through a pickup screen in the oil pan. The pump pressurizes the oil distribution system. ... The oil flows from the pump to an oil cooler. The oil cooler bypass valve protects the oil cooler from high pressure during cold ambient temperature start up. The bypass valve is in the engine block oil galley to oil cooler passage. Next the oil flows from the cooler or the bypass valve to a full flow filter. The oil filter also has a bypass valve too. The oil filter bypass is located in the block above the filter. From the filter or bypass the oil flows to the mail oil galleries. An oil pressure sensor is located on the left main oil gallery. Oil flows from the main galleries the camshaft bearing bores. The channel in the camshaft bearing bores supplies oil to the camshaft bearings and to the main bearing oil galleries. Oil flows from the channel in the upper main bearing shells to the holes for the piston spray nozzles. The piston oil spray nozzles are pressed into the block. The oil flows from the upper main bearing shells to the connecting rod bearings. The oil then flows from the main oil gallery to the turbo. Oil from the turbo drains back to the crankcase through a gallery in the block.

Adlibbed and copied from 1997 C/K Truck Service Manual Book 1.
    Published by North American Operations GM Corp. Warren MI. 48090
    1996 info dated 5/29/96

Hansh Guest

Hubert, Thank you. That was excatly what I was looking for. I asked my local dealer and they just looked at me like I am nuts for asking for something like that and gave me a parts diagram copy of the hose and cooler parts list.

I already have a dual remote filter, just trying to make things simpler and cleaner since I have it all apart.

Thanks again.

JohnC Guest

You need the oil cooler bypass valve, which is in the block. Apparently it is the only thing that keeps oil from circulating through the cooler when it is cold. The real problem is that in very cold weather the oil cannot flow throught the cooler, so without the bypass, well, something's going to give...