Thread: Summit Shackles

Question

Just hooked my 27' 5th wheel on for the first time. Just as I expected it is not close to level. I don't care about softening the ride so I went to Summit Racing's web sight. Their 2" lowering shackle kit is $65 but they recommend a 2 degree shim kit to go with them. I used the serch engine to see if this was necessary. No one mentioned using them. Are they necessary? Thanks. Later! Lone Eagle
    02 2500 HD EC SB<br />Juice 4.61<br />Post OEM Racor 660<br />Back Country Bars<br />Roll Lock Cover<br />B & W Turnover

Lone Eagle
    If these shakels work, please let me know, and do they make them for the 3500, just picked up my 5'er the other day and it sits way nose high.
    Cheers
    Bear
    Summit white 2002 Chev 3500 LT 4X4 CC Dmax, Outback stainless steel bushguard, KC Daylighter titanium offroad lights,110 gal. auxellery fuel tank / tool box combo, Lund bug deflector,DeeZee stainless steel grill insert, Dee Zee stainless running boards, Husky front and rear floor mats, Wabasto diesel fired heater, Juice 4.61, Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors, BD Exhaust Brake,Prodigy Brake Controller, BD X-Monitor, Kennedy Diesel light harness, Bilstiens shocks Alcoa Hot Shots with Michilin 235-85R16 LTX AT. pull a 30.5 ft Avion Westport 5th wheel trailer and a 2000 18FT Tahoe Fish and ski boat with a 4.3Lt LX in tandem, many more toys to come

Thumbs up

Will do Bearman. Later! Lone Eagle
    02 2500 HD EC SB<br />Juice 4.61<br />Post OEM Racor 660<br />Back Country Bars<br />Roll Lock Cover<br />B & W Turnover

I've had Summit 2" drop shackles on my K2500 without shims for about 7 months and 15000 miles, about half of which is towing. No problems. Seems like a good solution, since you can always put the old ones back on when you graduate to a taller, heavier trailer.

Rich Phillips
    Member #28
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

Lone eagle:
    I also have installed the summit shackles and have had no problems. Lowered the back end down 2
    2002 2500HD D/A L/B Silverado Ext. cab 2WD

Lightbulb

Have you guys thought of using velvet ride shackles. my understanding is that it lowers the rear of the truck by about 1.5" and noticably improves the ride which I feel is a great bonus.
    Perhaps mdrag can shed some more light on this subject since he has them on his truck.
    Just my 2 cents........ [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: stretch ]</p>
    2001 2500HD LS Ext.Cab,short bed,D-max,Allison, Onyx black w/graphite int,16X8 Eagle Alloys, Leer 700 Bed cover, Western Ultra-Mount Plow <a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/stretch\" target=\"_blank\">pictures</a><br />2001 Polaris Sportsman 500HO<br />2000 HD Ultra Classic

I have the Velvet Ride shackles on my truck. It dropped the back a little over 1". They do make a difference in controlling the ride, empty or loaded. They are an alternative if 1" - 1 1/2" is enough.

Good luck,
    Bob

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: son of a gun ]</p>
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A, CC/SB,<br />Olympic White, *Manik SS brush guard and nerfs, *Hella driving lamps, Velvet rides, *HD Air Lifts and Compressor, *Snugtop bed cover, *Linex, *Yakima rails on cover (mt.bikes), *Amsoil 2 stage airfilter. *Pioneer XM Radio. *SUBSTANTIALLY upgraded speakers,<br />Amp and Sub. *One piece drive shaft. *Mag-Hytec diff.cover, <br />*43 gal across the bed aux.tank (American Tank), *Lucerix pwr / heated mirrors, *Allison deep pan and transyd, *Street Pilot III GPS. *Suburban-type lighted <br />double sun visors, homelink system,steering wheel stereo controls, *Kennedy

Thumbs down

bearman, The 2" Summitt (Bell Teck)shackles lowered my 2500HD 1.25" max. Later! Lone Eagle

Thanks Lone Eagle. I fliped my axles on the 5'er and that worked great
    Cheers
    Bear

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: bearman ]</p>
    Summit white 2002 Chev 3500 LT 4X4 CC Dmax, Outback stainless steel bushguard, KC Daylighter titanium offroad lights,110 gal. auxellery fuel tank / tool box combo, Lund bug deflector,DeeZee stainless steel grill insert, Dee Zee stainless running boards, Husky front and rear floor mats, Wabasto diesel fired heater, Juice 4.61, Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors, BD Exhaust Brake,Prodigy Brake Controller, BD X-Monitor, Kennedy Diesel light harness, Bilstiens shocks Alcoa Hot Shots with Michilin 235-85R16 LTX AT. pull a 30.5 ft Avion Westport 5th wheel trailer and a 2000 18FT Tahoe Fish and ski boat with a 4.3Lt LX in tandem, many more toys to come