Thread: steering shock absorber

Question

The 3500HD has a shock absorber on the steering arm and I was wondering if it was the same quality as their stock shocks on the suspension? And if so would it cause the steering wheel to shake at lower speeds? Truck has 69k and new micheln tires, new bilstien shocks, and front end alignment at a reputdable shop.Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Arrow

You may want to closely examine all balljoints, tie rods, pittman arm and idler arm for signs of wear/slop. I suspect yours may need some attention. Put the vehicle on a lift, then try rocking each front tire side to side in both the horizontal and vertical planes.

MP

Thanks MP. I use a hoist to service our vehicles thats when I noticed the shock absorber. I should have thot to check those components then. We pull a 36' car hauler type trailer most of the time and if not that then a 26' equipment trailer, both goose neck. So, might have some wear on those parts.

Its not uncommon to see inner tie rods wear on these trucks.. Also wheel bearings will get loose unexpectedly ( as I found out myself).
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

Jim Brzozowski Guest

dmaxallyTech, woah, what are you saying, that we should be checking our wheels bearings to see if they have loosened up? Do they have locking tabs or are you refering to wear clearance loosning up?