Thread: Dumping catalytic converter problems...

I have an 04 LB7, CA version w/ a catalytic converter.

I am currently looking at a turbo back exhaust system.

Do I have to keep my catalytic converter, or can i dump it?
    If I dump it, will it set off any error codes?
    It doesn't appear to have anything connected to it, so I don't see how the on board diagnostics would know if it is there or not...

I am a newbie here any any help would be greatly appreciated.
    2004 2500HD D/A LB7 CC SB 4x4, AFE Pro7, Juice / Attitude w/ Trippin mount, Kittyless MBRP 4\", Bilstiens, N1cktane, High Idle

Originally posted by fireresource:
    I have an 04 LB7, CA version w/ a catalytic converter.

I am currently looking at a turbo back exhaust system.

Do I have to keep my catalytic converter, or can i dump it?
    If I dump it, will it set off any error codes?
    It doesn't appear to have anything connected to it, so I don't see how the on board diagnostics would know if it is there or not...

I am a newbie here any any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Are you from Cali? If so, I know they do smog tests and stuff there (unlike here in AR). Taking a Cat off of a Cali truck would be highly illegal - I wouldn't recommend it.
    2002 Pewter 2500HD D/A EC SB 4wd Warn 12K SOLD! 103k miles
    2007 White 2500HD CC SB LBZ 4wd Warn 12K Stock

AFAIK, diesels are not required to get smog checks, but I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time today).

Anyways, I could swap them out for the test if needed. I'm more worried about throwing error codes or lights on my dash coming on.

[ 12-23-2004, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: fireresource ]
    2004 2500HD D/A LB7 CC SB 4x4, AFE Pro7, Juice / Attitude w/ Trippin mount, Kittyless MBRP 4\", Bilstiens, N1cktane, High Idle

Originally posted by fireresource:
    AFAIK, diesels are not required to get smog checks, but I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time today).

Anyways, I could swap them out for the test if needed. I'm more worried about throwing error codes or lights on my dash coming on.
    I'm pretty sure they are. CT always copies CA emissions laws, and CT does smog testing. Infact ALL CT cars/trucks have to be ordered with CA emissions equipment.

Arrow

UHHHH.......NO

CA does not test, inspect, or otherwise nuisance us oil burners with such petty things. Currently, there are no plans for it in the near future. In regards to Diesels in CA, the laws only state the original emmissions equipment must be maintained.

If you need to remove the Cat for off highway use, by all means, do so. If you plan to operate your truck on the highway.....

None of my Diesels have cats. Only one came with one, and it's never driven on the highway. No, really. I swear. Well, maybe once....
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Originally posted by DmaxMaverick:
    UHHHH.......NO

CA does not test, inspect, or otherwise nuisance us oil burners with such petty things. Currently, there are no plans for it in the near future. In regards to Diesels in CA, the laws only state the original emmissions equipment must be maintained.

If you need to remove the Cat for off highway use, by all means, do so. If you plan to operate your truck on the highway.....

None of my Diesels have cats. Only one came with one, and it's never driven on the highway. No, really. I swear. Well, maybe once....
    so do you throw any lights or error codes w/ your catalytic removed?

did it make that big of a difference? i tow a 12k trailer and i want to lower EGT's and get a little more power...

is there much of a difference in EGT's and/or power if you run a turbo back vs. a cat back system?

Talking

I was just at the dealer yesturday and I was told by their diesel tech that it will definately throw up error codes if removed. Don't remove it!!!
    2003 Chevy 2500HD LT CC/DA, LineX, AmsoilBypass & 2 Stage Air, Superplug Drain Plug, Raycor 660S Pre/OEM, Westin Nerfs.

fireresource

My Duramax didn't come with a cat. '01 was the only year in CA that didn't. I have two friends that live close to me, both with 2003's that have removed their cats. No codes from either of them. I have heard that some do, and some don't. Maybe they just got lucky. YMMV

As far as the reason for codes? Dunno. There are no sensors downstream of the turbo (unless you put one there), so it has something to do with the resonance or back pressure. No doubt in my mind that a work-around will come up soon. Removing the cat on the '95 made a big difference, even in stock trim, with increased performance and mileage. I've heard that there is not much, if any, perceived difference on the Duramax in stock trim. It may be significant with mod's.

If you plan on staying stock, it may be best just to leave it alone until you have problems with it. You could try it, and replace the cat if you get codes.

Originally posted by Cliffee:
    I was just at the dealer yesturday and I was told by their diesel tech that it will definately throw up error codes if removed. Don't remove it!!!
    LLY with CAt removed-some will throw codes but not all.
    LB7 with CAT removed-should not throw codes. I know of at least one that doesn't.

You guys in CA should feel lucky. Nevada is doing testing so CAT removal was not an option for me. I went with a CAT back system from a local vendor.
    2002 GMC D/A Combo. C/C S/B Summit White 4X4. <br />Westin Platinum Series Step Bars.<br />285 TOYO\'s on Ultra Wheels<br />Spary in Bed Liner.<br />X-Monitor.<br />A couple of 10\" Subs behind the <br />seat.<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/gmcwojo\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/gmcwojo</a>

Originally posted by WanaDmxsub:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cliffee:
    LLY with CAt removed-some will throw codes but not all.
    LB7 with CAT removed-should not throw codes. I know of at least one that doesn't.
    </font>[/QUOTE]There ya' go
    Diesel power is a sweet addiction!<br />Mirage88---Break--Break<br /><a href=\"http://www.hidkits.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.hidkits.com</a>

In Nevada it's only in some counties they have any smog tests on any vehicles. Out here in the sticks, Which is most of Nevada, we have no smog.
    Just yesterday I installed a MBRP 4" down pipe back system, eliminating the cat. It tripped the SES light. Drove it 140 mi. light still on, got up in the morning to take my wife to work no light. Picked her up from work no light. All is well in Winnemucca.
    2004.5 2500HD CC/LT/DA 4\" Tuff Country lift, 295/R75/16- on 10\" Centerline Wheels w/caps, AFE Stage II w/ProGuard 7, 4\" MBRP downpipe back exhaust, ICI Wheel to Wheel Nerfs, and a little bit of Get-up-and-GO.<br />2005 Weekend Warrior SuperLite 32\'5er Toy Hauler.<br />2004 Polaris Ranger 6x6. I haul it around to go where the truck won\'t go.

Thumbs up

so i ended up w/ a full MBRP system and eliminated the kitty... so far now (3 days) no ses lights or error codes.

it took longer to get the oem system off, than to get the MBRP system on! the system sounds great, w/ very little change in overall cab sound. it definately is deeper in sound, but there is NO DRONE in the cab at any speed. i haven't towed w/ it yet, but i'm sure it will be louder than not towing.

at the same time, i added the juice w/ attitude. i wish i had done it sooner. only on level 3....too scared to try level 4 or 5 (don't want any tranny problems).