Thread: Power steering and power breaks occasionally temporarily go out.

Unhappy

Two times (not in a row) now for about 30 seconds after startup the power steering and power breaks won

madmatt Guest

yeah I had a tahoe @ the shop doing it. The p/s pump was getting weak and when appying brakes or turning it made a horrible sound and momentarly lost p/s and p/b. they use the same basic p/s pump and I've seen a couple w/ low miles have them fail.

The 2 systems are linked together (called hydroboost?), so it is very possible that if that system is having problems both the steering and brakes could suffer. Being unable to stop or steer -- that's a comforting thought, isn't it
    2002 Chevy 2500HD CC SB; Westers PCM; PIAA eXtreme Whites; SUVLights headlight harness; PIAA airdam with PIAA fogs; Undercoated; PowerFlow mudflaps; Warn steps; Jeraco cap; Rhino; \"Green\" keys; 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers; Rancho RS9000x; Amsoil

A friend of mine had the power steering and brake problem on an older Chevy pick-up(90+). He replaced everything except some type of a valve on the back of, or in the line for the power steering pump.. same problem... changed the "valve" and no more problem. The problem was also on the Caddy that used the same pump set up. May want to ask around. Dealer told him no such problem exists He knows of 2 others that had the same problem and fixed it with a "valve" replacement.
    Member# 9145
    03 GMC DMax 4x4 cc/sb,Loaded!
    Westin steps, Tekstyle quick hatch tonneau cover,Lund interceptor bug shield,ventshade-ventvisors, Husky-liner mud guards, all painted the same color as the truck (Polo Green), rhinoliner.
    65 vette, 327/4sp, conv. top/ hard top, Hurst competition plus shifter, otherwise all stock, 71,000 original miles.
    88 softail custom, customized. 16inch frontwheel,fatboy front fender,fishtail pipes,chrome goodies.custom seat and P-pad(cut down and narrowed).
    1999 25ft sunline TT

Smile

Thanks for all the help. Any other ideas?

madmatt Guest

talk to your local dealer, trust me, they know all about, or should know all about.