Thread: emergency brake locked

I set my emergency brake while working under the truck. When I released it the lever didn't pop back very strong and brakes are still locked.

Where do I release or adjust the brake wire?
    thanks,
    Danny<br />02 GMC 2500HD CC LT D/A LB Onyx/graphite Lund interceptor, GoRhino black Nerf bars<br />93 C3500 x-cab Dually

YZF1R Guest

I don't know how the mechanism works, but you may want to try this: Pull normally on the release lever while applying the parking brake a little farther, then while still holding the release out let your foot off the brake. Also, you could try holding the release lever while gently rocking the truck foward and back. Hope this helps.

Steve

I haven't looked under the rear of the truck at the brakes yet but here is what I've seen on other cars with rear disc brakes. The cable usually pulls on a lever at the rear brakes to pull the parking brake. Sometimes due to adjustments and the strength the brakes were applied the lever over cams and when released doesn't return. Get under the rear and look for the cable and see if you can get someone to step on the brakes and watch the cable move the lever. When it's released try pushing it further in the release direction.

[ 06-20-2002: Message edited by: FirstDiesel ]</p>

Thumbs up

The first thing I had to replace on my truck was the entire inside parking brake foot pedal assembly...wouldn't fully release from day one...replacement part has worked flawlessly.
    \'02 3500 CC HD 4X4 LT D/A, Charcoal Gray Metallic,Juice 4.61, Loaded from end to end and most places in between