Thread: Recall on power steering and brake

Seen in the morning paper a small write up about recall on 2000 GM's and up on the power steering and brake problem.
    2005 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax CC SB 30,000 miles.
    1994 GMC 2500 Suburban 6.5 TD 210,000 miles.
    1983 Mercedes 300 D Turbo Diesel 150,000 miles.
    1991 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL 30 foot.

I saw a blurb on the network news last night as well
    \"All I know is what I read in the papers\"<br /><i>Will Rogers</i>

madmatt Guest

haven't heard, but I have replaced a few p/s pumps on later models.

madmatt Guest

it's coming, don't know all the details yet.

Turbo Al Guest

Wink

The NSBU switch has left a bitter pill in my mouth so BEND OVER GM here comes my powersteering pump !
    Al

My pump failed (2002 model) but luckily I was in my driveway. I shudder to think what would have happened if it failed on the freeway.

I still wonder whether the replacement pump is a redesigned one.

madmatt Guest

I've drove several w/ the failure and truthfully it's not that bad. the brakes and steering still function manually and are still quite manageable. Had a girl drive a Tahoe in who couldn't have weighed over 110# soaking wet and her biggest concern was the noise made while appling the brakes yet she had no p/s or power brakes.

madmatt Guest

yes the new pumps have been redesigned. they can be identifed by the lack of black paint. most 04.5's got the new pumps.

Question

Madmatt

Is this going to be a mandatory campaign, or one of those "silent" campaigns? Open or termed?

Hate to experience a problem if I don't have to. Especially the systems we're talking about. An unloaded Tahoe is a far cry from a 20,000# combination!

Thanks for the info. Keep it comin'!
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

madmatt Guest

hope you have no problems w/ that rig....Good trailer brakes???? Really the wording in the bulletin states a Customer satisfaction campaign so I don't belive it will be a full blown recall @ first, but I won't be surprised when it does. Situations like yours makes me hope it becomes a recall. I don't make much money on recalls, but it's worth keeping customers safe.

madmatt Guest

oh yeah...w/ the tahoe story i was trying to point out the failure w/ loss of p/s and p/b didn't seem to bother the hot azz little number drivin' it. she was really only worried mainly about the noise.

IS THAT WITH HYDROBOOST? I KNOW THERE IS A BULLITION ON THE MASTER CYL REAR SEAL LEAKING.
    MIKE
    2007 CHEVY D/A. 4 DOOR AND 6 FOOT BED

madmatt Guest

yeah those two bulletins are totally different. The ones w/ hydroboost are the only ones affected by this one.