Thread: Front & Rear Brake pads same or not?

Question

I just installed front and rear pads on my 2002 3500 c/c dually 4x4 at 50,000 + miles, these were the original brakes from day one. Lots of towing! The front did not even look like they had worn hardly at all, the rear were ready, they might have gone another 8,000 miles or so. But I didn't want to risk eating a rotor. The new pads I installed were the best "ceramic" pads that Nappa sells, same as OEM. There were different part #s for front and rear. The only difference was the price and the front set had the stainless steel clips that go back in with the calipers. The pads looked identical except that the rear were champfered out on the edge of the pad material, my guess is to make it easier to install on the rear. It is a little tighter back there because of the cage that holds the caliper and rear E-brake drum assembly. The factory pads that came off looked identical front or rear. The new rear pads don't come with the stainless clips. But the rear calipers are equipped with them. I asked the GM dealer and they said to use the old clips over. The brake instructions said it was critical to replace the old clips with the new ones.I asked the GM parts guy if he could get the clips, and he said yes. But just the clips cost $87.oo just for the rear. I used the old ones over . Any GM tech have any ideas? Is it possible that there is a difference in the compounds in the pads? They look exactly like the same material to me. Any idea's would be appreciated. Thanks

madmatt Guest

honestly, being flat rate I've always been in to big a hurry to compare front to rear. i wouldn't think there would be any compound difference. we do see a lot more wear on the rear brakes due to spray and road grime buildup on the braking surface. also there is a bulletin for 1500s to install a mud flap in the front of the wheel well to divert this grime and spray away from the the rear brakes. all the brakes I've gotten from our parts dept. came w/ new clips and a tube of caliper grease.

Smile

Thanks for the reply. I wonder why the aftermatket pads only include new clips in the box for the front pads? Strange. The truck stops fine and straight and the anti locks are working great. This is the first 3/4 or 1 ton truck that has been this easy "good" on brakes. We replaced the front pads on our 97 Dodge cummins every oil change at 5,000 miles. And they were gone every time. One time I let it go for 6,100 miles and I had to replace the rotors also. The dealer worked on those front brakes 11 times under warranty and finally Chrysler wouldn't touch them any more. Thanks again. I am very happy with this GMC.

Bill, How are you doing? Make sure you open your bleeder as you compress the calipers so you do not force dirty fluid back into the anti lock part of the system.

Smile

Hey Joe. I'm doing great, how about yawl? Oops! I forgot to open the bleeders. I guess it's flush time. I hope I can find my pressure bleeder and adapters. Drop us a line.

I will do it. Hope u-all are doing well? Yea just go ahead and flush the system. The most forgotten fluid is the brake fluid.It should be flushed every couple of years or so. Are you gettin ready for spring? Have u bin ridin a buntch? We have. Hope to see u before congress.

Unhappy

All I do is work! The weather was real bad for a while and the we had a nice spell high 50s. But the ground is so slick it makes it bad. Hope to see yall soon and I hope Spring comes fast. Take care.

Man, you need to move South.I love it here.We still do have all 4 seasons,but there is never to long a spell that you can't ride due to the weather.I have my team penning horse for sale,let me know if you know of any one looking.