Thread: front wheel bearing hub torques?

Cool

135,000 km and both front wheel bearings worn out, suspended front wheels had 1 inch inward/outward play. Have one changed and the other I am waitng for , on order. I need torque numbers for the wheel nut, hub assembly, and caliper mounting bolts? Any help would greatly be appreciated. I seen in old threads, wheel nuts need replaced and I will do that. I disasembled the first to see if I could change the bearings for the other side but found the races were part of the casting and the outer was extremely worn. I bought a HD to have heavy duty so I wouldn't have to do repairs of this nature, and two of them at 342 plus tax canadian = $787. I am clearly not a happy camper. Any help with torque #'s would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you
    Bob
    2002 2500HD 4x4 CC/SB LT Duramax/Allison Summit White
    Reflex Bedliner, Michelin 265/75 A/S, ARE cap

Arrow

Hub nut: 177 ft. lbs. (155 ft. lbs. is incorrect for a 2002 2500HD)

Hub extension nuts: 96 ft. lbs.

Hub to knuckle bolts: 133 ft. lbs.

Brake caliper mounting bracket (if you removed it): 221 ft. lbs.

Brake caliper mounting bolts: 80 ft. lbs.

Inlet fitting bolt (if you removed it): 33 ft. lbs.

Wheel speed sensor bolt (if you removed it): 13 ft. lbs.

Wheel bearing failures are not common. If your bearings were the only failure, you could have replaced only the bearings, which can be had for much less $. GM's procedure is to replace the hub/bearing assy, but the bearing can be ordered w/o the hub. "I know. Now they tell me!"

On edit:
    Torque value corrected

[ 12-01-2005, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: DmaxMaverick ]
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

David Proske Guest

I thought I read that the bearings and hub was a sealed unit and had to replace the whole thing?

DmaxMaverick thanks for the numbers, I agree the bearings could be bought seperatly, but in my case after the bearings were pressed out, we inspected the casting, and the race was worn, and on my hub the race is machined into the casting and cannot be replaced. Therefore the hub is junk and complete replacement was my only option.I was to pickup the second one today but was told by Carquest it is not avaible anywhere in Canada and the vendor could not commit to when the manufacture would have them available.So I called Murray's in Detroit ,and it is alot cheaper 220 US with lifetime warranty but not available until 12-09-05, and hopefully they come thru with it, because other Canadain option is the dealer at 490 Can.
    Bob
    2002 2500HD 4x4 CC/SB LT Duramax/Allison Summit White
    Reflex Bedliner, Michelin 265/75 A/S, ARE cap

Arrow

Bob

Just noticed you're from north of the border. Do you need the torque spec. conversions? If so, I have them and can post. Looks like you'll be at it for a while with none available.

Have you tried www.gmpartsdirect.com ? I think they ship to Canada. Their prices are considerably less than the local dealers. Even with shipping and duties, you may still end up ahead.

oyazi Guest

Yes, the 155lbs has been published. Read in another forum a tech sited a GM tech pub that specifies 177lbs. Just finished doing 2 trucks and only one wheel was less than 177flbs. That particular hub was the only one that didn't have yellow paint marking on the hub and nut. The one wheel that was actually adjusted was that on my truck. I had an issue from the gitgo w/what I thot was wind noise/door seal leak. I don't claim to hear well. On a highspeed curve/turn to the right, the noise would appear. Now it doesn't. It only has 18,000 miles so I don't think there has been too much wear at this point. I would guess that it had been @ 155#s before retorque.

Arrow

Originally posted by oyazi:
    Yes, the 155lbs has been published. Read in another forum a tech sited a GM tech pub that specifies 177lbs. Just finished doing 2 trucks and only one wheel was less than 177flbs. That particular hub was the only one that didn't have yellow paint marking on the hub and nut. The one wheel that was actually adjusted was that on my truck. I had an issue from the gitgo w/what I thot was wind noise/door seal leak. I don't claim to hear well. On a highspeed curve/turn to the right, the noise would appear. Now it doesn't. It only has 18,000 miles so I don't think there has been too much wear at this point. I would guess that it had been @ 155#s before retorque.
    You are correct. Bulletin #04-04-95-001, dated March 02, 2004, states the "Wheel Drive Shaft Nut" updated torque is 177 ft. lbs. (240 N.m.). This applies to 1999-2004 Silverado and Sierra. Other vehicles and model years were mentioned with a different torque value for different models, so don't apply this to all vehicles. The Yukon and Suburban is different, as well as Cadillac, Hummer, Avalanche and van models.

Thanks, Oyazi!