Thread: Rear axle seal

I had a rear axle seal leak and it caused a lot of damage. I have to replace both rotors and brake pads as well as the seal and the expensive synthetic gear oil. Do i have any recourse with Chevy even thought the warranty is over? I know i am probably out of luck, but thought I would check.
    2002 2500HD Leer Shell, 45gal. fuel tank from Transfer Flow<br />2002 Sportsman T.T. 26\'

Why do you have to replace the rotors? Just curious. I have been able to just clean the pads. Go ahead everybody, tell me I am crazy, but those pads are so hard, if your catch it quick enough, it just dont soak into it. Restitution will depend on your mileage and your relationship with your dealer
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

I just replaced both rear axil seals on my 2002, (thanks dmaxalliTech for the seals and phone assistance), with 40K miles. The disc brakes and pads were dry and not affected, but the parking brake drums and pads were sure gunked up. I cleaned parking drum and pads, and adjusted starwheel adjuster. Parking brake is working again. Time will tell.

Question for dl537: Why did this make you change synthetic gear oil. I jacked up and blocked only one wheel up at a time to repair, and I only lost about
    02 Chev 2500HD Dmax/Allison X Cab LB 4WD
    Attitude, Monster Exhaust with Big Head, Michelin 265/75/16E LTX M/S on Alcoa Classics for summer hauling, Cooper Discover 238/85/16E M/S on PYO's for winter, B&W Goose Hitch with Companion 5th Wheel, Highway Products Tool Chest, Jordan Ultima 2020, Frederico sway bars front & rear, Air Lift SD Bags

I hope its not to late for to mention this, but never thought of it until a customer came in with both his rear seals blown out, thought it was odd until I got it apart, Both of the seals had been replaced before, but the old inner race of the seal was never removed. The seal is a two part seal and the inner half tends to stick to the spindle. Make sure to remove it so your not doing it twice. Also, make sure to fully seat the new seal when installing the hub. I use a 2x4 against the flange where the axle bolts too and give it a few solid hits with a hammer, this makes sure that the hub is fully seated so your not getting a false torque on the nut. I had to learn that the hard way
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

Thanks for the tips. I had the work done by a trusted mechanic I know.
    I did see the rotors and the one that was affected was in real bad shape. I guess i drove around too long before i noticed.
    I'll make sure to keep an eye on whether or not the inner seal was removed and leaks again.
    2002 2500HD Leer Shell, 45gal. fuel tank from Transfer Flow<br />2002 Sportsman T.T. 26\'

Unhappy

Hi Guys !
    I have owned 2 Duramax trucks...2001 EC and 2003 CC...Both have had rear axle seal failures, first time around 25,000 miles and again at 55,000. We replaced the emergency pads and cleaned the rotors. The vent lines were clear and the trucks are pampered with only road miles...I have had a lot of trucks but have never seen leaks at so few miles !
    2003 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 SB,<br />Pewter,Leather, Westin Bars, Luverne Grill Guard, Leer Topper, Prodigy Brake control, Bed Rug and Kennedy 4 light system, OnStar and XM Radio<br />Amsoil Air filter, and Mobile Delvac<br />Pondering ...\"The Juice\"