Thread: I welded on my truck today!

And it is fine. I wanted the rear bumper welded on, so now it is. Went with a MIG welder (Millermatic 250), so I disconnected the negative terms, and the TCM. Other than it starting out in 5th gear from a standstill, everything seems fine.

If you are going to do any welding, I would HIGHLY recommend spending 5-7 minutes disconnecting these. (It is on the very end of the frame, so integrity shouldnt be hurt much if ANY at all).
    2001 JUICED GMC 2500HD SLE AlliMax, Longbed, Ext. Cab, 4X4 Summit White, G80 Differential, Husky Liners, Black UWS Toolbox, Black Westin Nerfs, Black Replacement Front and Rear Bumper, Black Bedrail caps, Autopage 2 way LCD Alarm remote start,JL Audio, Hella, Cobra, ProComp Mud Terrains, Tekonsha Prodigy Controller, Fumoto, Rhino Liner, 400 Watt Inverter, Pioneer XM Radio<br />KENNEDY 4\" Exhaust. 100,000 miles on January 31,2003!!<br /><a href=\"http://home.att.net/~markstanco\" target=\"_blank\"><b>PHOTOS UPDATE 11/02</b></a><br /><br />Gutter Pipe is your friend. Leafblower is your enemy.

NutNbutGMC Guest

Thumbs up

^.....Good job and a wise precaution.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just talked to a guy at the filling station with a flat bed truck. He had his custom fit rear bumper welded on to the frame, and guess what!!! The frame is already starting to crack where it is welded . Good luck to welding on the frame! Some seem to have success and others don't, so it must be in the welding proceedure and materials used. Jim
    2001 SILVERADO /2500HD EXT CAB /LWB/ DURAMAX / ALLISON / FIRESTONE AIR BAGS/TORK LIFT STABLE LOADS/ 19.5 TIRES

I would say the reason for the crack on a frame around a weld is the welder, not the weld.
    1998 6.5 2500 4X4 dynatrac pro 60, ARB, 35"BFG's
    06 D Max Express 5"MBRP EFI live

NutNbutGMC Guest

^... Sooty is correct. There is a proper procedure as well as a proper weld process. The crack has nothing to do with the (average) welder. There is a thread that discusses this in regards to the cross member cluster-phuk when several were wanting to do a weld repair on that issue.

A friend of mine and I welded a rear bumper on to his truck a couple years ago and have had no problems with it. We also welded on his brush gaurd because the bolts always loosened up during off-roading.
    Charles - 98 Firebird with mods &<br />Dad\'s 2002 GMC SLT EC/SB 4X4 Duramax/Allison<br />Pendaliner bed liner, Westin nerf-bars, Husky floor mats<br />bugshield, Bed X-teder, Rawson-Koenig toolbox, bed rails

Turbo Al Guest

Alli-max, Thanks for the heads up on the TCM connection, I am used to the old 93 who has no computer.Does your trans have to "relearn" over again? TCM connection is where?
    Thanks as always
    Turbo Al