Thread: Allison no go after sitting a week

As one of the VERY few D/A owners who let their truck sit for any length of time, I was surprised to find it wouldn't "go" after a week of sitting. Forum searching found a TCB covering this, so armed with that info I went to the local dealer.

Surprise again: GM is now allowing dealerships to make some repairs. Mine was a first for the dealership so I know they were extra careful.

I just wonder how many owners have the weak spring problem and are totally unaware of the warranty fix, simply because they use their ride constantly? From what I understand, it only affects early Allisons (mine is a 2001) but it might behoove early owners to bite the bullet and let their truck sit for 7-10 days. Hey, it's a free flush and service if you have the problem and the warranty ends at 36 months.

Oh, and yes the dealership did a fine job the first visit. Three surprises in a row.
    \'01 Dmax/Ally Xcab LB, Amisoil air filter, Rancho shocks, \"Juiced\", Line-X, Westin tubes, \'02 Jayco 243RK fiver.

Just wouldnt go into drive or what? You mind posting the TSB?

I have an 03 but it might be nice to know in case.
    Philip<br />2 69 Velles<br />03 Black 4x4 LS 2500HD reg cab D/A<br />Kennedy 4\"-5\" exhaust<br />UNI Air Filter (VERY NICE PIECE!)

Sneaks, my truck sits for a week or more at a time, I have a company car and I'm away from home often. I have an early 02 that exhibits this symptom often. I see the symptom when starting and trying to back out of the garage. I found that if I start it, shift to reverse, then to drive and back to reverse, it usually will back right out of the garage without any more coaxing. If I drive it daily, I see no problem. Please post the TSB. Thanks Dave

From January--http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=004558#000000

From SteveO:

The fix your talking about is already out, since GM Dealer's are not allowed to go any further than replacing front seals I did not mention the fix..

Allison issued an SIL back in November, ALL transmission built after 6310234829 Indy and 6320154492 Baltimore have the new springs...

Lube Regulator Spring&gt;&gt; 29540523
    Converter Relief Spring&gt;&gt; 29541296

The two springs cost about 50 cent...

IMO&gt;&gt; I do not like the idea of GM dealerships doing anything internally in these transmissions, that includes replacing these springs.....

Why do some do it and others do not.. I think it's because of the lack of mileage.. The more mileage and the more the vehicle is broke in, the better and the less likely for this to occur..

Your transmission was probably built after the Spring changes...

To verify all you have to do is crawl under the truck, Passenger side toward the rear of the trans.. Serial# will start with "63????????" (and 8 more numbers) if your's is after what I have listed above, then it has the New springs, if not then so be it.. Like I said, mine has never done it...
    TxDoc's Photos
    Member #5547

Dave , here's what the service order said, and the DOC may be the TSB

Slow engagement after sitting. K7121 5.6 replaced transmission pump valve as per service manager DOC # 1306340

TxDoc , yes that quote is where I started and I actually saw the TSB which mentioned two springs but not being a mechanic and with no access to the actual tech who did the work, all I can say is it can now sit and I no longer have to futz with it to get things going. It's a late 2001.
    \'01 Dmax/Ally Xcab LB, Amisoil air filter, Rancho shocks, \"Juiced\", Line-X, Westin tubes, \'02 Jayco 243RK fiver.

I have done two of these fixes already, very simple job, took all of three hours to r&r trans and repair. Parts are offered as a kit, includes seals and gaskets needed, plus new converter bolts etc. Its just two little springs and a lot of labor TSB is 24 pages long, its too much to post here
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.